Revising invoice to add postage to item price

New years greetings to one and all. ๐Ÿ™‚

An item has already been bought (not paid for yet), but the buyer is asking for the postage to be revised to free post with it added on to the item price. E.g. $10 order with $5 postage, revised (after placing the order) to be $15 with free postage.

Sometimes there are discounts available and they only apply to the item price, exclusing postage. Cheers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Revising invoice to add postage to item price

@juliew5030202 wrote:
Maybe they are wanting to use the 20% discount thing that doesn't include postage.

Yes, that's exactly what it was for. At least someone here 'gets it.'

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

Everyone here "gets it" which is why I keep saying the buyer is trying to rip ebay off by getting them to pay a larger discount than the buyer is entitled to.

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

Oops, just re-read my email, says $20 off purchases of $100 or more, not including postage. But you are allowed a total of 10 purchases in your cart I think.
Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Everyone here "gets it" which is why I keep saying the buyer is trying to rip ebay off by getting them to pay a larger discount than the buyer is entitled to.

You're a nice person lyndal but I can't explain it any more than has been said. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

What don't you understand Soul?

If the buyer is entitled to a discount on the item price but not the postage then by a seller giving them effectively free postage by including the postage in the item price the buyer is getting the discount on the postage to which they are not really entitled.

The trick with these vouchers is to find sellers who list with free postage.....not expect the seller to change their listings to benefit the buyer.

There is nothing wrong with either method of listing...ebay gets their fees on the item plus postage.   But if a seller does change a listing to help a buyer circumvent the terms of a voucher then it is wrong in my opinion.

Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

What don't you understand Soul?

If the buyer is entitled to a discount on the item price but not the postage then by a seller giving them effectively free postage by including the postage in the item price the buyer is getting the discount on the postage to which they are not really entitled.

The trick with these vouchers is to find sellers who list with free postage.....not expect the seller to change their listings to benefit the buyer.

There is nothing wrong with either method of listing...ebay gets their fees on the item plus postage.   But if a seller does change a listing to help a buyer circumvent the terms of a voucher then it is wrong in my opinion.

Here's an example:

The promotion was for $20 off the next $100 spent, excluding postage. Let's say a buyer bought four items, $20 each, all with free post. Then they bought a $10 item with $10 postage, bringing the total amount to $100 but not realising that the $10 post on the last item was excluded from the promotion. So they're only up to $90 and don't qualify for the promotion yet.

One way a seller could make them eligable for the promotion is to cancel that last transaction and re-list it as a $20 item with free post. I've personally done this for someone. It's not against the rules at all, otherwise every single item that has "free" post (e.g. postage included) would be against the rules. Making something with free post is actually encouraged.

Cancelling and re-listing is the only option since it's not possible to add directly to the item price post-sale. But what is the difference between cancelling & re-listing or (if it was possible) editing the item price to add the postage onto the item price? It would be better if that option was available. It's just making it "free" postage, post-sale.

No one is duped. The fees are exactly the same as well, since it's still the exact same price being paid.

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

But the buyer is getting a discount that initially they did not qualify for.....thus costing ebay money.

If I get a voucher I make sure I buy enough items to actually qualify for the discount....I don't ask a seller to change a listing  to help me qualify.

But if you are happy then go right ahead.....but don't complain if the vouchers dry up when ebay catchess on.

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But the buyer is getting a discount that initially they did not qualify for.....thus costing ebay money.

If I get a voucher I make sure I buy enough items to actually qualify for the discount....I don't ask a seller to change a listing  to help me qualify.

But if you are happy then go right ahead.....but don't complain if the vouchers dry up when ebay catchess on.

It doesn't cost eBay a cent. It is the exact same thing as if the listing were originally with free post. It's a moot point anyway, as adding to an item price post-sale can't be done. In your view, the only proper way would be by cancelling and then re-listing with free post. Since that's the only actual way it can be done, that is obviously the best option.

Hopefully you agree with the latter option of cancelling and re-listing with the $10 added on to the item price, totalling $20 with free post and thus qualifying for the promotion. If you don't, well we will never agree here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

I don't agree if you only list it with free postage because the buyer asks you to do so to help them qualify for something they are otherwise not entitled to.

IMO any buyer who puts a seller in that position is a bit underhand.   If they are happy to rip off ebay then they would probably not hesitate to rip off a seller if they could get away with it.

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

I think we're just not understanding what each other is saying but I don't think we'll be able to, as we've explained it quite extensively. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 20 of 36
Latest reply