Rude Buyer

In all my time, I've not come across such a rude buyer.  I understand that he was upset because his parcel arrived with Aust Post with them telling him he had to pay $13.70 as there was no postage on the parcel.  But surely logic would tell you that something must have gone wrong, as how would it be possible for me to take a parcel to the post office and say "Here you are, please send this parcel for me to Tasmania and by the way I'm not going to pay for it"

No....I got an extremely rude message accusing me of being sneaky and deceitful for sending him his parcel and not paying for the postage.

I calmly wrote back and expalined that I had paid postage and if you give me a few minutes I will send you a copy of the receipt.

To that he responded that I was a liar and there was no way that I even took it to a post office because if I had I would have provided the tracking number and demanding the postage he paid back.

I told him I did add the tracking number once I had it and I gave it to him again as I wanted him to go to the AP website so he could see that it was lodged, went to Sydney and the last tracking showed it was in Transit to Tasmania.

No....again I was just a rotten liar and a thief

I asked him to send me a picture of the parcel and the receipt for the extra payment he had made to AP.  And to my shock, the original label that had been put on the box at my post office was gone!  And AP had put another label on the parcel with no payment....so somehow the original label had come off the box.  I've been selling for years and have never experienced this.

So being the rotten, thieving scoundrel that I am, I call AP helpline, sat in a queue for 25 minutes and then explained to them what the situation was.  They were as shocked as I was and agreed that the only explanation was that somehow the label had come off the box.  They said that to refund the receiver he would have to call them himself and give them his banking information, so we agreed that it would be easier to send it to me and for me to refund it to him to his paypal account.

But I said I wanted an email sent to me explaining the whole situation so I could send it to the buyer, as I know that if I just reimbursed him he would still not believe me.

He has now been reimbursed and I've sent him copy of original receipt with tracking number and a copy of the email from AP admitting fault......and guess what......no apology!

Oh well....that's my rant and now I feel better.

P.S. Has anyone else had this experience with an AP parcel?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Rude Buyer

I did keep my calm.  I even read through my messages before hitting send.  And I did refund them straight away.

But I just wanted them to see that I had in fact paid for postage and had sorted it out with Aust Post and that they agreed that it was them that was at fault and not myself.

And even with an immediate apology and an immediate refund of they payment they made to Aust Post I was still called a liar, a cheat and a thief

Message 11 of 34
Latest reply

Really, I don't understand why you think my post is a bit off.  This really did happen and I was totally flawed as I couldn't understand how such a sticky label could come off the box. My only explanation is that the label may have been put on the masking tape, but even that wouldn't be an easy feat.

Message 12 of 34
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:
I have a questions how did AP know where to deliver without the label? Idk this whole post seems a bit "off"
If you had read the thread you would see that the OP hand writes the address on the parcel.....it was the price label that was missing.

Secondly digighost said they could open in and find the invoice, - thats incorrect, the item needs to be "lost" for 60 days before opening, its illegal to open a parcel without legal authority.

Rubbish.....if a parcel is damaged (including losing it's address label) AP can and does check to see if there is anything inside to identify where it should go. The package is then taped up with clearly identifiable AP tape and enclosed in a plastic satchel with a message saying why it was opened.

Message 13 of 34
Latest reply

@munchkin83munchkin wrote:

I hand write the address clearly with black marker on the parcel and I take it to my local post office where they weigh and measure it and put the appropriate label on the parcel to show that it has been paid for. 

Sorry, I only realised that may have been a possibility well after posting my initial comment, but I was more looking at it from the angle that what happened seemed like AP's fault more than yours, anyway. 

In any case, people who insist on calling someone a liar in the face of evidence to the contrary are irrational, so there's no point trying to rationalise their behaviour, or work out what you could have said or done differently etc, the best option is disengage as fast as possible after dealing with any valid complaints. 

Message 14 of 34
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@danieh_6 wrote:
I have a questions how did AP know where to deliver without the label? Idk this whole post seems a bit "off"
If you had read the thread you would see that the OP hand writes the address on the parcel.....it was the price label that was missing.
If you look at the time I made the post at the exact same time as the buyer responded, I didn't know it was hand written... don't be so quick to judge.

Secondly digighost said they could open in and find the invoice, - thats incorrect, the item needs to be "lost" for 60 days before opening, its illegal to open a parcel without legal authority.

Rubbish.....if a parcel is damaged (including losing it's address label) AP can and does check to see if there is anything inside to identify where it should go. The package is then taped up with clearly identifiable AP tape and enclosed in a plastic satchel with a message saying why it was opened.

You misread what I said. If a parcel is damaged and already open thats a different story. Australia post needs a warrant to open sealed mail. Its against the legal act. Unless its past 60days. A label being ripped off compared to a parcel being caught in a machine is completely different.

Message 15 of 34
Latest reply

Open a MyPost Business account and use that to import eBay transactions and print the shipping label.

Nominate to send shipping details to the addressee and also take an extra print of the label.

Also, the facility offers postage discounts depending on volume shipped.

Message 16 of 34
Latest reply

I think the salient point is that the buyer was charged to collect. I'm sure I'm not the only person in a majority that would consider that less than optimal.

If I felt the seller was being evasive, that would crank up my GOM syndrome, and I would likely let fly. Unless and until I was refunded. At which time I would still be grumpy, as it required me to front money I might not have, and the seller was apparently disclaiming responsibility.

To munchkihn, look into Ap My Business. The provided satchels (at a low cost) have a section for labels. And you pay and print online, so no postage paid labels. And definitely cheaper than using own packaging.

Message 17 of 34
Latest reply

A missing address label is considered as the parcel being damaged and undeliverable and qualifies for being opened to see if there is anything inside to identify the destination.

And the seller posted the information about the hand written address some 5 minutes before your reply was posted.

Message 18 of 34
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

A missing address label is considered as the parcel being damaged and undeliverable and qualifies for being opened to see if there is anything inside to identify the destination.

And the seller posted the information about the hand written address some 5 minutes before your reply was posted.

No that's not correct, If something is undeliverable and unopened and nor the sender or addressee can be indetified its treated as lost and if no body claims it it can be opened after 60days. Furthermore, please provide an example of where this has happened, Not from border force & not from australia post who have damaged the article that made it open.

No need to get technical here, I had the page open started reading and stopped then came back and hit quick reply, I don't sit here spamming f5 checking for updates.

Message 19 of 34
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

No that's not correct, If something is undeliverable and unopened and nor the sender or addressee can be indetified its treated as lost and if no body claims it it can be opened after 60days. Furthermore, please provide an example of where this has happened, Not from border force & not from australia post who have damaged the article that made it open.

No need to get technical here, I had the page open started reading and stopped then came back and hit quick reply, I don't sit here spamming f5 checking for updates.

The OP has belatedly stated that the postage paid label was missing. A whole other kettle of fish. It pays to keep up with OPs dribbling the facts out.

Message 20 of 34
Latest reply