SELLERS BEWARE!!! eBay/PayPal deception/rip off

Firstly I'd like to begin with saying that my selling practices have not changed in the last year-doing exactly has I had successfully done to obtain Top Rated Seller status for.

Now with new policies, it has made my status decline & I'm fed up with loosing such large amounts of money to dishonesty, deception & greed.
Below I will highlight some areas sellers should be absolutely aware of now.

1/ With the new eBay moneyback guarantee it requires ALL ITEMS BE SENT WITH TRACKABLE POSTAGE....PERIOD, to receive seller protection.

If a seller does not send an item via a trackable means of postage, any & every buyer can open a request, even when they have received the item, to claim their money back. Even when the buyer has declined paying for the upgrade to trackable postage. eBay has opened itself up to abuse via dishonesty.

2/ Now I had always offered free postage with several options to upgrade that to a trackable form at the buyers expense, that typically buyers waive at checkout.
eBay receives a fee of that postage amount if a buyer does upgrade which is utterly wrong as eBay do not provide that service at all. eBay already receive a fee from the collection of those funds through PayPal.
Estimated delivery on items is misleading. Countless times I'm asked, 'said my item was to be here <such & such a date>. Australia Post policy states that a standard delivery item can take up to 10 business days. eBay should be following Australia Posts policy, not their atomatically generated 'estimate' which buyers mostly take as being a guarantee of delivery.

3/ Returns: A buyer can now open a returns request. The seller can accept the return. The buyer does not need to return it & can escalate it later to receive a full refund. Appealing this does not gain a result. Buyers do not need to provide tracking of the return.

4/ Below Average Seller status results in PayPal freezing available funds for up to 21 days. The Financial Ombudsman Service www.fos.org.au is eager to hear from all who have this issue.
Simply go to the website, click lodge a dispute (green button to the right), then lodge a dispute button again (green button bottom) & fill out the form.

The only way to increase your status & release funds quicker is to provide tracking numbers.
Funds are released when feedback is received, so PayPal have informed me.
Now a dispute process is already available, so the 'freeze' of funds is unwarranted.

5/ Every request opened becomes a defect on your seller status. ie, your positive rating declines.

6/ Negative or Nuetral feedback when unwarranted or unjustified even when you can prove it, will still not removed when reveiwed by eBay. Basically, as long as there is no profanity, contact information or threats, then a buyer can say whatever untruth they wish without having to worry eBay will reveiw their account.

I have maintained a 1 business day mailing out policy as I have done for over a year now.
Had my great service reflected in the excellent feedback I was receiving. (Yes you'd have those customers who are not satisfied with any solution to a problem & would leave negative or neutral feedback.)
Now since eBay have introduced new policies without prior warnings of the changes, my seller status has dropped to 'below average' even tho I have not changed a thing.
The new moneyback guarantee is to blame.
It has given free reign for all standard mail items sent to be refunded if the buyer opens a request.
Simple solution is to increase the prices, yeah. In theory. eBay is all about the lowest price gets the sale. Increase in my price means I wont get the sale. Bigger stores have better postage deals with Australia Post and therefore can sell cheaper.
The returns request has also been changed & can easily be manipulated. I've had several buyers ask for a return. I accept as I should. Item does not arrive, buyer escalates for review & I have to refund & the buyer keeps the item, no return tracking needed.

Recently I was in hospital for just over 3 weeks. Arranged for someone to maintain the processing of my daily sales. Messages & my PayPal account were not.

Upon coming home, I was fuming to find that both eBay & PayPal had been refunding my money. In PayPal 2 large $$$ trackable purchases marked 'delivered' had been refunded by PayPal because I had not responded to their requests for the tracking information. I appealed and gave the information they had requested. It was rejected as I had not provided the information in the time they had asked for it. in eBay was simply the requests to say the buyer had not received their item. Item packaged & sent. Even if there was an issue like Australia Post loosing an item or unsecure letter boxes, (which I have always replaced at my expense in the past when it occurred), the sharp increase in buyers saying their item has not arrived has to lie with dishonesty. & as the seller, I pay the price.
Yet again, dishonest buyers getting the approval to continue being dishonest without any consequence.

Sellers have no protection unless you spend the $$ to buy tracking.
In my case, I sell items that cost from $10-$30 typically. Cost to send is $1.40-$3.50. Where's the justification in buying postage of $7.20 per item to get tracking? Plus the rediculously high eBay fees on top of that, then PayPal fees. Makes selling the cheaper items (which sell so well), not profitable at all. When sellers in my genre of DVD/Blu ray don't make much on each item sold to begin with.
Australia Post have teamed up with eBay for postage options. Why Australia Post is not doing 'large letter parcel postage' pricing is detrimental to them. Oh, but that's right, Australia Post 'claim' standard mail is not making them money so they want to cut it. Initiatives to increase sales in the standard mail forum would be more beneficial.

Anyway, theres my warning & rant.
Anyone else have views of their own on this sunject?

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: SELLERS BEWARE!!! eBay/PayPal deception/rip off

@putney32 wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

For items that qualify as large letters (C4) there is a prepaid Registered Post envelope with tracking for $6.20.

There is a smaller size as well, not sure of the price.

unfortunately, Aust Post insist these envelopes are for PRINTED MATTER / DOCUMENTS only not for merchandise.

It is only prepaid express envelopes that are restricted to documents only.

Prepaid registered letters have no such restrictions on goods (though there are extra cover exclusions that apply).  As long as the envelope and contents do not exceed 500grams or 20mm in thickness for the C4 then it can be posted.

Message 21 of 60
Latest reply

If you are sending low value items in untrackable envelopes, then you have to factor in  losses. Much as B &M shops will have a certain amount of small items on open display shoplifted.

All businesses are exposed to risks & losses somewhere. The balance of security vs sales appeal (displaying, cheaper posting cost etc) need to be determined as a business decison.

If you make a 100 sales because of cheap untrackable posting, then losing one due to being untrackable is the trade off.

Ebay want to prevent buyers complaining, that is their message. You need to do as much as possible to achieve this. Untrackable items make buyers nervous. Items that are faulty, even if quickly resolved, are still not a positive buying experience. Previously buyers were relieved a problem was fixed, now they expected it as a minimum.

Keep in mind with low value items buyers will take the easy option rather contact directly for best outcome as there is less $$ at stake.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 22 of 60
Latest reply

The rationale behind the Guarantee cannot be to stop buyers' from โ€œcomplainingโ€, because, in all but a few cases the complaint arises out of circumstances which are beyond the seller control. Take for instance where a buyer complains an item is not received.  How does of the Guarantee stop the buyer from complaining when it wasnโ€™t received.

No the purpose behind the guarantee is not stop buyers complaining, but to satisfy the expectation behind the complaint, namely, I didnโ€™t receive it so what are you, the seller, going to do about it?

My response "fortunately for you, as I decided to list this item on eBay, I made sure the item was insured against such a possibility.  Therefore all you need to do to get your money back is to make a claim with eBay. 

Message 23 of 60
Latest reply

A small number of 'missing' envelopes is do-able. A defect for every one is not. 

We can and have in the past factored for a certain number of claimed 'lost' non-tracked items. However we can't factor in for the defects so our business decision is to up the price or sell them in bulk lots to make it cost effective. If they sell, great - we send by trackable means. If they don't, well less FVFs for eBay. 

Our last neg was for a pair of gloves that wasn't received. I know it genuinely wasn't received because it ended up back with us marked RTS. Address was correct. We had already refunded (we'd factored in an amount of loss) but now we're stuck with a defect and a neg for a cheap item that isn't worth losing our business over. 

Lesson learnt!

Message 24 of 60
Latest reply

I absolutely see your point.
Adding the extra $ value does not get the sale when another seller can sell it cheaper for whatever reason.
My point still remains, I had no issues before the new policy took affect 1st November.
I understand items can 'go missing' or be stolen & I always replaced those immediately when notified.
The fact that the overwhelminly increase in buyers saying 'I haven't received my item' & opening requests, has to be due to buyer dishonesty. If I cannot provide tracking once a request is open & the buyer does not close it themselves, I am forced to refund the item & receive a defect for it.
eBay should allow sellers to leave negative feedback aswell as this would deter dishonesty as it would hold these dishonest buyers to account for what they do or say.

Message 25 of 60
Latest reply

& I have asked at Australia Post for the options & they really had none.

Message 26 of 60
Latest reply

Not sure how you are getting registered post for $2.95 because if I take an item up to 125g into the post office to send via registered post it cost $1.40 for postage & $3.95 for registered

Message 27 of 60
Latest reply

If I cannot provide tracking once a request is open & the buyer does not close it themselves, I am forced to refund the item & receive a defect for it.

Actually you get the defect as soon as they open it, and even if you refund them, the defect remains

Message 28 of 60
Latest reply

& thats why big business like JB HiFi & Sanity will use bubble large envelopes too.
So, that may be what Australia Post thinks they are for, but is not in touch with the reality of items posted.

Message 29 of 60
Latest reply

Hi,
I get all that.
It's the overwhelming sharp increase in 'I haven't received my item' requests that has disgusted me.

Message 30 of 60
Latest reply