Sell similar or Relist from Unsold?

I currently have a lot of items sitting in Unsold, and this weekend ebay is offering free listings. Do I choose to use Sell Similar or Relist - and why is one choice better?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Either have the same results.

'Relist' gets them out of 'ended', 'sell similar' leaves them there cluttering up the place.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Sell similar is more for using the listing as a template, starting a new listing with similar fields already entered.

And it can be used as sometimes it helps when there are eBay glitches in listing.

Otherwise relist is designed for what you want to do.

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Just be aware that  fixed price listings  are now good till cancelled only,  so they will auto relist every 30 days, with full listing fees, unless you still have  free monthly listings available at that time.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Some say sell similar will give you an initial boost in best match search results as it is a new listing. I find relist does the same. Also wacthes and people who have viewed your original listing often get notified when you relist the item which might encourage a sale especially if you reduce the price when relisting.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Also there is a nasty rumour that if you automatically relist instead of "creating" a new listing by sell similar,  they will be removed after a certain time by ebay if or when ebay implements the "stale" listing policy.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

as has apparently been done on other ebay sites

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/5/1496088624.html

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Also there is a nasty rumour that if you automatically relist instead of "creating" a new listing by sell similar,  they will be removed after a certain time by ebay if or when ebay implements the "stale" listing policy.

It's just another case of eBay being as confusing as possible.

Wenig crows about eBay's "long tail" as being one of the sites strengths, and he's right, it is.

They then come up with this daft policy to amputate said tail.

I wish these guys could just come up with a clear strategy and stick with it.

At least we'd then have a set of rules we could work with instead of this current movable feast dogs breakfast.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

I've had 8 sales in the last week. All were items that have been listed since 2015 or before. Someone comes along eventually that wants a particular item.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

If it was an even playing field and some sellers weren't favoured over others I'm sure we'd sell things a lot sooner than we do! There are a lot of things on ebay that'll probably never sell but there are other things that don't sell simply because they never get seen.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply