Seller Protection on Local pick up item when its been inspected by buyer

oz-star
Community Member

Hi All,
This is my first post on this forum. I couldn't find any answer for my issue that’s why I am initiating this thread.

Recently I have sold Sony TV with my ad mentioning "LED TV with Full HD Display" and all the product features and description taken by Sony website and other websites selling this product, although Sony discontinue this product, but still if someone google this product, it will appear as 48" W700C LED TV with Full HD Display, Buyer pickup this item locally by inspecting the item thoroughly but on the same night I got the message for refund as he is not happy with TV display and he thinks I mislead LED word in product description. It’s not LED tv it’s just LCD TV, not exactly sure what exactly he does meant with this.

I have researched this product on google and all the stores currently selling this product, have the same title "48" W700C LED TV with Full HD Display" clearly mentioning LED word, so where did I mislead the buyer.

I have responded buyer with all this information to clarify but he is not convinced and went to Ebay for refund, upon Ebay request for refund I have disputed this under report buyer option, whereas I think I am selling the right product as per description of ad.

My question to the community is when Buyer fully inspect the item before collection, and product is as per ad, what else Seller can do to protect himself to avoid this situation, and what will be best option, if Ebay still goes with buyer protection rights and not considering Seller justification?

Thanks

Spoiler

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

An LCD TV with an LED backlight is not a true LED TV. Maybe the buyer was expecting the display to be an actual LED or OLED panel.

The Sony website states in the specifications page that the KDL48W700C display is an LCD with an LED backlight:
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-48w700c/specification...

Yet, Sony themselves have been misleading buyers by calling it an LED TV:
https://store.sony.com.au/archived-television-HDTV/KDL48W700C.html

Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Point out to the buyer, that  LED TVs  use  LCD  Panels/Screens .   LED  refers to the light source (Light emmitting diode).  Older  LCD TVs  used  CCFLs  light source.

Full  HD  refers to the resolution being 1920 x 1080.

You may also choose to download the full  TV model specifications for the buyer, or for use in the event of escalation, note if the matter is escalated, you will be dealing with ebay staff who in all likelyhood, will have no idea about TV specifications.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

EBay will nearly always side with the buyer regardless. Unfortunately, the best course of action is to get the buyer to return it for a refund. If they escalate the dispute, eBay will refund regardless. You then lose the money and the TV (which is maybe what the buyer is trying to do?), plus you get a defect on your account.

Did the buyer pay via PayPal?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Did you have 2 of them because you seem to have sold one on 17th dec and one on the 30th dec ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Just one word of caution is to make sure if it is returned it is the one you sold and it still works with the correct serial number.  

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

An LCD TV with an LED backlight is not a true LED TV. Maybe the buyer was expecting the display to be an actual LED or OLED panel.

The Sony website states in the specifications page that the KDL48W700C display is an LCD with an LED backlight:
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-48w700c/specification...

Yet, Sony themselves have been misleading buyers by calling it an LED TV:
https://store.sony.com.au/archived-television-HDTV/KDL48W700C.html

Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

That's very weird if Ebay nearly always side with buyer, buyer has already escalate this with Ebay, I know this is a dodgy buyer who was happy at my home and straight lodge the refund request. Yes buyer paid with Paypal
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

No it was only one, the one on 17th sold was relisted back, as it was another dodgy buyer from Sydney,
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

What if the return item is not working or cracked?
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Point out to the buyer, that  LED TVs  use  LCD  Panels/Screens .   LED  refers to the light source (Light emmitting diode).  Older  LCD TVs  used  CCFLs  light source.

Full  HD  refers to the resolution being 1920 x 1080.

You may also choose to download the full  TV model specifications for the buyer, or for use in the event of escalation, note if the matter is escalated, you will be dealing with ebay staff who in all likelyhood, will have no idea about TV specifications.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I am very much confused with this LED thing, you are absolutely right Sony is misleading the buyers, but I have mentioned the product description as per manufacturer website, LED LCD FHD smart TV, its buyer perception what he is thinking in his mind. Who will decide who is right buyer or seller in this situation?
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply