Seller Rating System is a Joke

Seriously E-bay what a RIGGED set up re: Seller Ratings..How on earth are sellers supposed to be responsible for late items..when we put our customers purchased items in the post ASAP and yet Australia Post is slow or is delayed because Phil or Phillipa the postperson decides to take a break or is on the go-slow or like most Aussie cities the roads are clogged with too many vehicles.....or on International deliveries the mail on a plane is delayed due to circumstances way out of our control..so the seller takes the hit in the delay... SERIOUSLY E-Bay???...this whole show is RIGGED...what a joke...

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Get rid of the whole rating system altogether there are online sites that state that it could take up to 28 days for delivery lol so if you get it in between now and then who cares because they don't have a rating system.

And all of those sites are still selling like hotcakes.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

@knewdoors wrote:

this whole show is RIGGED...what a joke...

Like most sellers, I take exception to "didn't arrive by the ETA" = "seller didn't post on time", which is the wording eBay uses on the seller standards page (that is, they literally say "orders that weren't sent on time" in the stats when a buyer says "no" to the "did it arrive by..." question, which everyone knows is not the only way an order will arrive after eBay's ETAs, so it feels like a biased assumption / accusation and conviction with little regard to anything. 

It's rigged, for sure, but IMHO it's towards the goal of getting as many sellers as possible to use tracked postage, and the stick method is the only way eBay know how to acheive these kinds of goals (I'm not saying that makes it right, as I not only dislike most of eBay's methods, but I'm directly opposed to them; also my business would be affected significantly - in a negative way - were I forced to use tracked postage on all my orders, so I resent all the ways I have to tailor my business practices around avoiding whacks from eBay's stick(s). I'd much rather have a 1-day handling time and let people know I post quickly, than give the impression I'm a bit slow to post in order to avoid eBay constantly rapping my knuckles and muttering "bad seller, bad seller", particularly for things that are not within my control). 

As much as I dislike a lot of eBay's policies, and a lot of how they implement them, I also see the advantage to them in trying to corral as many sellers as possible into providing consistent service standards, and / or trying to create realistic customer expectations (which is not to say I comply with all of them, because I don't Smiley LOL ). I just wish they found a better way to do it. 

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

That's it in a nutshell. The only thing I would add is that a lot of the policies ebay have implemented over the last few years seem to be largely influenced by what appears to be ebay's fear of amazon. I am not even sure what ebay is so worried about, sure there are a lot of similarities between ebay and amazon, but there are also a lot of differences. If I were the CEO of ebay, I would double down on promoting and expanding the differences.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@knewdoors wrote:

this whole show is RIGGED...what a joke...

As much as I dislike a lot of eBay's policies, and a lot of how they implement them, I also see the advantage to them in trying to corral as many sellers as possible into providing consistent service standards, and / or trying to create realistic customer expectations (which is not to say I comply with all of them, because I don't Smiley LOL ). I just wish they found a better way to do it. 

I have to agree with digital ghost.

I don't think the whole system is rigged as such, but I do understand that sometimes the ebay way of wording things or the ebay rulings can be pretty harsh on sellers. Even unfair at times.

But on the whole, the policies have worked and ebay has achieved some of what it wanted to achieve. Over the last few years, ebay has made sellers focus on delivery and delivery times and that was something that was certainly missing in the early ebay days.

I do think delivering 'consistent service standards' was something that, like it or not, they did need to concentrate on.

The economy seems to be slowing & from what I am hearing, may be the worst it has been in the last 7 years, so to retain business (or maybe even gain some new customers) ebay will need to seem consistent, reliable, competitive.

I don't think ebay will let up on its policies as such though it often seems to tweak things. All a seller can do is work within the policies and try to develop strategies within them that work for them, whether that means having a slightly longer handling time, sending with tracking or whatever.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Agreed, I recently purchased a surveylance system off a seller masquerading as an Australia seller which was actually shipping from Australia but was registered in china. I had a faulty camera after a few months and it was within the specified warranty period and contacted the seller, was told that i could wait for 14 days for a camera to arrive or buy two new cameras at a discounted rate. I asked how it was possible to buy two new cameras but not get a replacement and the mindless circling began to frustrate me into submission, After contacting ebay and asking them to intervene and getting no direction from ebay on the sellers clear refusal to honor the warranty I ended up leaving negative feedback on the purchase. to my disgust I found out the feedback was removed, I was not notified and worse still after discussion with ebay they would not give me the specific reason. So i asked them if they took bribes and they said they don't and it is punishable by imprisonment with a smiley face at the end of the comment. I have been a customer on ebay for 16 + years now. I have never been more infuriated with the system until I got burned. If you look up reviews for sannce mall on trust pilot you will see hundreds of bad reviews from disatisfied customers of this company. it  seems I am not the only one. I have decided to leave ebay and not use it any more as I feel they have sold out their loyal customers in the interest of making commission and the rigged feedback system is the final straw for me. 

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply