Seller safety — eBay and beyond (other marketplaces)

Several people on these boards have posted about how dangerous selling can be.

It’s not just the risks of online selling, but also the risks of face-to-face transactions in an increasingly violent environment where strangers can target you for violent burglary or home invasion, or use counterfeit money in cash on pickup, etc.

It’s worth reading this article: 

Seller beware: How putting up items for sale on Facebook marketplace and Gumtree could put you at risk

Ever sold something on Facebook marketplace or Gumtree? Without knowing it, you might've put yourself in danger. Here's how to stay safe when selling items online. Read the full story

PayID scams are another one of which to beware, but I’ll leave that can of worms to another post.

For now, the salient points are:

• don’t give away your phone number or address to strangers and of course don’t post these online;

• don’t photograph items for sale in such a way that you reveal your home or other possessions or family members;

• for pickup sales, don’t use your home — rather, select a public location and try to bring along a second person;

• if accepting cash, how confident are you that you can recognise genuine bills? If you can’t, then use PayPal or PayID (but you’d better be well up to speed on how PayID works so that you don’t fall victim to a PayID scam).

I’m opening the floor here for others to suggest more ways to protect oneself against these risks.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Seller safety — eBay and beyond (other marketplaces)

Thank you for this.

I am sure people feel "It won't happen to me:" then are mightily shocked when things go amiss in a major way.

I live in a smallish town (43,000 people) and I would never put things up for sale on Facebook or Gumtree.

Every town and city may have their fair share of dishonest people.  Which makes it so unfair for for all the decent people in the country.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

I occasionally sell items on Marketplace. Things like fruit or fresh herbs. Not something that really attracts scammers thankfully! This year the fruit was gone inside 3 days. Normally it's around 3 weeks. The Indians and Asians hound me to death as soon as I advertise. They love them! I love that they all want to take a family photo with the tree. I think that is so sweet. 

I've had a few people request pick up for ebay items. My items aren't generally ones that would attract scammers, but I opt to meet at Bunnings, or the local IGA carpark. One time someone said they were about to take their kids to Macca's for a birthday party, could we meet there. Absolutely! Macca's has lots of security cameras. I live in a rural/regional area (not far from the4 masters, who was the first respondent), so it's only a few minutes to go to any of those locations. 

As for photos, the fruit is taken close up on the tree, as are the herbs. Most of my ebay items are photographed on a black blanket as a macro shot. Sometimes darker items might need to be taken on a white background. I have seen photos people have taken that are basically mirror selfies and that concerns me a lot. Not only is their face in the photo, but so are half their household belongings. 

For that reason, this was a good post to start.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

To be honest I don't allow any pickups, only postage. And my return address is my PO Box or Parcel Locker. The less information provided in the wild the better. Some buyers don't like that I don't offer pickup... I don't because of those risks.. it's just not worth it.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Regarding PayID scams

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101935092

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/secondhand-sale-market-takes-hit-as-scammers-rip-...
https://news.nab.com.au/news/payid-scam/

In essence:

• PayID never requires you to “upgrade” to a business account;
  • PayID never requires a charge to upgrade or access it;
  • PayID is free to use for EVERYONE;
  • PayID will never contact you — it’s managed by your bank — so if you receive an email or SMS supposedly sent by PayID, it’s a fake, a scam; and
  • Be wary of “buyers” who say they can’t pick up in person and will be sending a relative or friend to pick up the item on their behalf.

PayID is safe and easy if used properly… I really suggest that everyone not familiar with PayID and wary about it get in touch with their bank and ask how to use it safely. 

https://payid.com.au/voxpops/fight-scammers-with-payid/

To use safely, your buyer can pay you while picking up the item. All they need is their usual banking app. 

The people paying you just need to: 

1. Log in to their internet or mobile banking, start making a payment and look for ‘pay to a PayID’ (or mobile number/email address) in the ‘pay someone’ function. 
  2. Enter your PayID and they will see your name before they make the payment. 
  3. They can include a longer description – up to 280 characters (example below)
    “For the sofa - picked up today”  
  4. Once they hit confirm, hit refresh on your own banking app and watch the money instantly arrive into your account. 

To set up your PayID:

There are two options - using your mobile phone number (or email account - it depends on your bank), or if you have an ABN and the payments you’d receive are payments to you as a business or sole trader, you can set up PayID with your ABN. 

You can probably set it up within your normal banking app, but sometimes it may require you to set it up in person with your bank at your nearest branch.

If you’re just selling the occasional thing online, and it’s not part of your business, obviously you won’t want that going through your ABN; that’d be an accounting nightmare! Just set it up with phone/email.

If you are concerned about giving your phone or email details to online buyers, bear in mind that you don’t need to give them that information verbally until they’re standing in front of you, picking up the item. Very unlikely they’ll memorise your phone number or email address as they make the payment…

But as always, talk to your bank about any security or privacy or practical issue.

Alternatively, the buyer can make a direct transfer on their banking app using your BSB and account number. You should always check the number verbally very carefully with someone making a payment so that there’s no wrong digit. OSKO will mean practically instant transfer.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Recognising funny money / counterfeit bank notes 

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/counterfeit-detection/counterfeit-detection-guide/

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/counterfeit-detection/list-of-security-features/

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/assets/pdf/counterfeit-detection-guide.pdf (PRINT THIS GUIDE)

Download the RBA bank notes app on your phone: https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/resources/rba-banknotes-app/

Bear in mind that a bird, the serial number and year of print fluoresce under UV light.

To validate the UV fluorescent features on Australia's banknotes, it is recommended that a UV black light with a wavelength that is centred around 365nm be used, and that it is done so in low ambient lighting conditions. Many UV black lights that use Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) emit wavelengths between 395–400nm, which are not suitable for viewing the UV features

Example of correct type of UV blacklight

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/?s=365nm&post_type=product&type_aws=true

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

It's easier to just do the scrunch test

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

I'm aware of scammers out there.

A friend of mine, her son had a mobile phone advertised and was out on the porch showing the customer when the customer ran off with it to an accomplice, waiting down the road in a car. Police said it was not that uncommon.

Perhaps it depends on what items you have and how likely they are to attract scammers. I just this morning finished a transaction on marketplace and it was very pleasant actually. Most of mine have been, except for occasionally with people who never turn up, that would be the main problem I think people would have.

I was getting rid of a cot & mattress, fairly newish. My husband just wanted to toss it out on the hard rubbish collection but I felt that was wrong in the present climate & wanted it to go to someone who would use it.

Advertised for $20, had a new grandma arrive for it as she will be doing the childminding 2 days a week.

Told her she could have it for free, she was rapt. She took one of those door gates too as I had that out and she offered to buy it but it was due for hard rubbish too.

Because of the size of the cot pieces & mattress, it was just easier to have someone collect from home. 

I've sold quite a few larger items of furniture over the years & never had any trouble.

I've also been to a lot of homes to pick up and never give trouble. 

Nothing is ever 100% safe, you just have to do your best & be careful.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

I've also had positive pick-ups. It definitely depends on what  a person is buying. I have occasionally arranged  pick-ups at some of the nearby railway stations as the buyers were coming by train, but for the purpose of making it easier for them not for any concern about safety. Usually my picked-up sales are for things I've made.

Yes, I know that there can be bad experiences, but these are discussion boards and I'm posting my positive experience as a balance. There are some very kind, generous people out there as well as some very nasty, selfish and  dangerous ones.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

I haven't sold many things on fb, I mainly use it when I want to give stuff away.

I give away things I have no further use for.

When I do give stuff away, I arrange to meet the person at a bus stop near my home.  I don't let them know where I live.

I don't normally give my mobile number to fb members, but when I do it's my 'burner' phone number.

My burner phone is my old S9 with an Aldi 365 day sim (costs $15/yr).  It's the number I use when I buy raffle tickets, or when I don't want to give my main mobile number.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply