Seller says sent back, I don't receive and seller is given another chance??

souraji
Community Member

I am writing again for help, this time as a seller. Last time this forum was really helpful in not getting cheated as a buyer and I am looking for constructive criticism. Briefly (from the case read the correspondence so far)

--------
Sep. 27 :
A return request was initiated

Sep. 23 :
The case was put on hold

Sep. 23 :
Case opened
Comments
1. I personally tested the item before dispatch and it was fully functional
2. The buyer threatened negative feedback in the first message
3. Buyer said I should have another similar item to send to him (I never claimed that I had anywhere)
4. Buyer wanted to keep the item and for me to refund fully, and made further threats
5. I contacted eBay to inform the buyer to return the items, as there were more than one motor in the package, and I had added some freebies as well
6. Buyer claimed to have return shipped the item even before I accepted the return or sent him a postage label
7. I have not received the item so far. I don t think it has been shipped back to me but all I can say is I have not received anything back. You are free to please check my messages with this buyer. He has been very difficult to communicate with, and been unwilling to adhere to eBay policies which he agreed to when he signed up. Thank you for looking into this case

Sep. 8 :
The buyer added tracking details

Sep. 8 :
You approved a return

Sep. 8 :
You sent a message
Comments
DO NOT SHIP BACK UNTIL I ACCEPT RETURN, GIVE YOU A SHIPPING ADDRESS.

Sep. 8 :
The buyer requested a return
Comments
AS DISCUSSED THIS FAULTY ITEM HAS BEEN PLACED IN THE MAIL BOX WITH RETURN TO SENDER ON IT PLEASE REFUND MY MONEY URGENTLY

--------

What eBay have done so far, is asked the buyer to return the item again, although he has already said on Sep 8th that he has sent it back and I have not received it. The buyer has threatened me with negative feedback from the first message onward, and tried to get a refund and keep the item.

Now on 27/9 they have asked the buyer to return the item again although he said he'd sent it back on Sep 8th and they've said as soon as tracking shows delivered they will refund the buyer. Knowing this buyer, he's lied repeatedly to me, he might just send an empty box or something else and I have to refund him? How can eBay simply ignore the fact that he claimed he had already posted it back and ask him to post it again, three weeks later??

Any help will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

souraji
Community Member

Sorry it should say, 

Re: BUYER says sent back, I don't receive and BUYER is given another chance to return it again 3 weeks later

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

It said that on Sept 8th, the  buyer added tracking details.

Is that right? Are you able to check those tracking details? It sounds as if it is possible it has been posted off and has not arrived yet.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

It does say that, but he's added zilch. There is no tracking details there. Also, now he's left me feedback calling me a thief

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

@souraji wrote:

It does say that, but he's added zilch. There is no tracking details there. Also, now he's left me feedback calling me a thief

And your feedback (Positive),  was not much better.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Which you could have reported if you had not broken eBay's rules and left a flase positive, whuch will land you in trouble if the 'buyer' reports it

A pointless warning as nobody excpet you and the buyer knows who you are warning about, other sellers do not see their actual user name 

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Yeah, it was a knee jerk reaction. I'll have it removed. eBay have said they'll remove the feedback after the case (which I opened) is closed. I didn't have enough space to write the full feedback. I could post his messages (and threats, like "this is the last time - bad things will happen to you if you don't refund IMMEDIATELY") but eBay's had a look at them.

Ah well, lucky eBay is not my source of income. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@souraji,

It doesn't sound as though your buyer has followed the correct procedure.

@souraji wrote:

Sep. 8 :
The buyer requested a return
Comments
AS DISCUSSED THIS FAULTY ITEM HAS BEEN PLACED IN THE MAIL BOX WITH RETURN TO SENDER ON IT PLEASE REFUND MY MONEY URGENTLY

Rubrication mine.

If your buyer has indeed "placed in the mail box with return to sender on it", that means he/she hasn't done what's required in order to be covered by eBay's MBG. 

❝The buyer is responsible for:

• Returning the item using the postage label or other reasonable return method supplied by the seller❞

You've stated (or implied, rather) that you were happy to supply a return postage label, but the buyer didn't wait for this and tried to bypass the whole procedure by doing an inappropriate Return to Sender. (This is against AP's terms of service.)

Therefore the buyer cannot provide a tracking number.

It is impossible for the buyer to prove that he/she has returned the item.

DO NOT ASK EBAY TO STEP IN.

Rather, wait for the parcel to be returned to you. It's probably not worth stirring up a can of worms by informing AP of the inappropriate use of RTS, but that's between you and the buyer.

Once the parcel has been received, examine the item and ensure that it is in the same condition as when you sent it. If it is, then of course the right thing to do is to issue a refund. That's irrespective of whether there is any proof that the item was sent back to you.

I would very very very strongly suggest that you don't engage combatively with the buyer. Keep it professional, even if the buyer is in the wrong. Keep it minimal, as well.

If the item doesn't arrive, and the request is about to time out (because the buyer hasn't any proof of return), let it time out. You do not want to make the buyer aware of the shady idea you've mentioned.

If you are truly worried about receiving an empty box or something of that sort, make sure that you have an official witness before you open anything that might be the "returned item".

... You've already has "the talk" about giving positive feedback with negative comment to a buyer. I'm going to reinforce that's already been said. Not only is it against eBay policy to give that sort of feedback (which means that eBay may sanction you), but it also makes you as the seller look worse than the neg given to you by the buyer.

As a general rule, I believe it's a good practice to take some time away from any keyboard whatsoever when you receive a negative from a buyer. Hit a punching bag, or go for a long walk - but come back with frustrations somewhat relieved and look calmly at the situation. You know that the buyer's feedback was based on his/her own world view (and that world view was that they get back instant full refund just on their say-so of having returned the item, or even better, getting full refund without having to return item - which of course is an unrealistic world view). With that in mind, what is their feedback worth?

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

So to sum up the case, I never received the item back, and highly suspect that it was never sent back in the first place. "Return to Sender" will not have worked anyway as I used a courier. Also, as I tested the item personally, and both motors were working perfectly on all speeds, I think (though can't prove) that at best, the buyer did not know how to operate it (until I told him how) and didn't want to admit it, or at worst, he was trying a fast one (I hope not). That would be particularly sad, as the buyer received the item within a day -interstate- and I had included freebees not in the listing like a power cord, free fixings and mount etc.

Ebay removed the feedback he left no problem, and advised me not to communicate with him anymore. This has left a bitter taste and I've gone off selling preused items on eBay a bit, I rarely had issues like this when selling Victorinoxes on eBay, though there was the occasional item not received.

The help here has been phenomenal and thank you everybody for taking time out. I now have another issue as a buyer but will open up a different case for that.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

So did eBay find in your favour?

just be aware, if eBay found in your favour the buyer may open a PayPal dispute.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply