Selling in Variations vs Individual listings

I'm a small time book seller, basically I just sell sets of books in my free time that I pick up around my area. I have now got to the point where I want to try selling individual books, not just sets. 

My question is does anyone have any experience with selling books as individual listings vs as variations of a single listing? For example, If I have 10 Harry Potter books, I could sell them all as separate listings or I could have 1 listing with each book in the series being a different variation. 

What would the Pros and Cons of doing both be? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

....I've never done a listing with variations, because of the differences in weights of books, possibly requiring different postage fees

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

That makes sense, though most of the books in the same set are roughly the same size. Harry Potter is a bad example.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Unless the price for each item is the same, buyers tend to be irritated by a listing with variations.

I automatically rule out any listing with variations if I'm searching for a particular item. If I came across a listing with variations for books, it would seem odd to me and I would be unlikely to click onto the search result.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Not much point to using a variation listing.

You get 250,000 free listings, so use them.

I would also get peeved if I saw a variation listing for books.

Also, re your sets for sale, if I was missing one or two books for my collection, I'm not going to buy the whole set.

BTW one of your listings for Dr Seuss' books quotes both Free Postage and a postage cost   ???

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Countess, I'm with you and Stawks on this. I have a couple of books in my saved searches to complete a set and I wouldn't bother looking at variation listings - if they even come up on those saved searches, which I doubt.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I've sold a few thousand books in my time.

I have never contemplated using variations.

As said, you get 250,000 free listings per month.

Also, when potential buyers are searching, they see a thumbnail against the listing. I suspect one that reflects the book they are searching for would be more useful, rather than the one for the first variation.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I listed the Time Life Art series individually. Sold one to one person, then a buyer who wanted to decorate her new shelves bought the rest (picked up so no bother working out postage). You just never know who is looking and what they are looking for.

For what its worth, I agree with the other replies re when I'm looking for a particular book I'd ignore a set or a listing with variations.  Also, I would not buy several books from the same seller if they didn't offer combined postages.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply