Selling photocopies

Hi everyone, I decided to sell some books that I would have expected to get over $100 each.

Someone is listing photocopies of very similar patterns from $4 to $8 each.

This, to me, will reduce the values of my books so I am annoyed.

If they were to sell the same books at half the price I would charge then I would have to suck it up.

Are 'enhanced photos and copy of a pattern from her own collection' allowed on eBay?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Selling photocopies

bjlcr
Community Member

Just report them

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

I know of no reason why a seller could not sell a copy of a pattern or picture or ??.     As long as it clearly states it is a copy.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

Would ' copyright ' not come in here.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

A number of years ago, ebay specifically mentioned photocopies in its prohibited listings policy, but this was removed some time ago. My main product line has been decimated by unauthorised Chinese digital and scan copies that infringe current copyright and trademark legislation, but the only people who can report this to ebay,s Vero programme are the copyright holders themselves.

Many companies simply cannot be bothered and ebay will not take action unless the copyright holder complains. As for older and vintage items, no longer protected by copyright, it is open slather. ( so long as the copy is noted in the description )

My answer has been to develop alternative product lines that cant easily be copied.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

It is not like manufactured goods, handbags or shoes.       Books are always copies of something anyway -  how about books on art?   All the pictures have been copied.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

And maybe the OP's items are more valuable to the buyer who is a collector of original patterns.    Not the buyer who just wants a single dress pattern to make a dress.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

@curraone wrote:

It is not like manufactured goods, handbags or shoes.       Books are always copies of something anyway -  how about books on art?   All the pictures have been copied.

Yes - but with the permission of the artist/artists.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

If itโ€™s breach of copyright then report them

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Selling photocopies

@namnie wrote:

If itโ€™s breach of copyright then report them

That's what we are trying to figure - is it a breach of copyright. ??

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply