Selling to new buyers

Good Morning

We recently got a big purchase through our eBay store off a person who has only just created the account the same day as the sale. We haven't sent the items yet due to the buyer not responding to our message "ask for their chosen colours".

What's the chance that this would/could be a scam?

I just find these kind of profiles suspicious.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Selling to new buyers

"I find these kind of profiles suspicious"

Why?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

I think that they are new and don't know how to view messages. So I would just keep contacting them to get your message through.

Pity that we can't contact via their personal email

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

Is the buyer in Australia?

And are you saying, they have paid, but not chosen the colours?

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

Everybody on Ebay has to start somewhere. I often get buyers who register and purchase the same day and it's never been an issue.

For such a large order, just make sure you send it with tracking, and if it's over $750, you must get signature on delivery.

I see that you use a drop down menu choice for some of the listings, but it seems that for the one in question you're asking buyers to advise you of their preference. This listing should also be converted into a drop down for clarification and to remove the time wasting that you're now going through with a brand new buyer.

If the buyer does not respond in another day or so, you can send them another message, but you may need to cancel the order as you should NEVER send anything without input from the buyer, even though your listing says that they will get "xyz" if no colours are chosen. If you do this, you're possibly opening yourself up to a headache.

If you do have to cancel, then make sure you use "problem with buyers address", or else you will get a defect on your account. Sometimes the cancellation is the only thing that gets the buyers attention.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

It also just occurred to me that if you do not send the item within your handling time, which looks to be one business day, then you may also incur a penalty. If you do not hear from the buyer fairly soon, I suggest you cancel as mentioned above.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

We all started with zero feedback and brand new accounts, we arent all suspicious.

Also how long ago did you sell them,  I check my emails often, but I know some who only check once a day or even less often, that doesnt make them suspicious.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

It's possible the buyer has purchased as a guest, which creates an eBay username / profile but it's not an actual account. Some people who shop online also do things like create temporary email addresses, or at least use a throwaway that they rarely - if ever - access, so that they don't provide their regular details and avoid things like spam etc.

Which seems understandable to a degree, but ignores the fact that they might sometimes be required to participate in the transaction beyond just paying. (If you really want to get in touch with them, view the order details and check if a phone number was provided). 

My personal view is, that's on them. If they make it so that I can't proceed with their order, then the order gets cancelled, no ifs or buts about it. My first message to a buyer where I need important info from them will include a line advising  that if I can't confirm the info by X date (which is when my handling time will be up), the order will be automatically cancelled and refunded, but that they can contact me at any time to discuss further options and / or re-purchase if that occurs. 

Funnily enough, though I need to do this several times a year (cancel orders due to lack of info / response), only one buyer over the years has ever contacted me after the cancellation and organised re-purchase, and while I don't sell essential items, some of these orders were relatively high value (compared to my average order), so I'm always a little surprised that I never get "hey, what happened to my order?" messages. 

Could it be a scam? Sure, but so could every purchase made on eBay, until it's clear it's not. I tend to think someone who is intending to scam someone else, though, will respond to get the package on the way, reassure the seller, etc, but, you know, so would a genuine buyer so there (usually) isn't any one thing about a buyer that says "this is a scam", rather more it's a series of red flags that tend to suggest it. 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

As sugar said, we all start with 0 feedback. This does not mean that the buyer is most definitely not a scammer, but we have to give new buyers or sellers the benefit of the doubt. Both buyers and sellers are protected.

Maybe this person created the account on the same day they purchased from you because they were searching for something and found your store. Ebay is often at the top of Google searches when I am looking for something. 

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Selling to new buyers

I don't know if it is suspicious or not. The only way I can see it could work as a scam would be if the person made a claim for 'not as described' and they were refunded without having to return the item/s.

The trouble with the whole encounter is they could very well get unhappy if they are sent colours they didn't want.

They could also make a claim on ebay or paypal if the items are even a day over the expected date of arrival and be given a refund, only for the items to arrive a few days later. Shouldn't necessarily happen but have read of it occurring. And if you're delaying posting off till you get a reply, then the items may well be slightly late.

Overall, your safest bet is to cancel the whole order and doubly so if it is an overseas order. You can always do as digital ghost said and send a message to explain why and ask them to re-buy if interested.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply