Sending items as a large letter.

Ok so Ive started selling small light items,  Ive done my research and seen that everyone else is selling the same thing as a large letter or stamp mail in a padded envelope.     Go into the post office today to post an item and see how many "stamps" ill need.   Guy tells me oh no thats a parcel rate.    Argue it with him,  he pulls out the slot measure and makes a feable and failing attempt to push my parcel through.    Show him another item which would clearly fit,  oh no thats a parcel too.    What gives?      I know Auspost is privatised,  are they making more money making sure small items do not go through as large letters.       I know my first mistake was taking it to a teller in the first place,  but I dont really want to be sneaking my items through the mail as letters either.

However,  I cant sell this item with 7 dollars extra postage tacked onto it,  I just wouldnt be able to compete.      So the only other thing I can think is to get some stamps and just put it myself in the red box, and squeeze it through right and proper,  but now do I run the risk of having it returned or my customer having to pick up the cost on the other end.

Any advice,  comments?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Sending items as a large letter.

@bluebudgies wrote:

If it's a valuable item, where you would want a registered (or equivalent) service, parcel post is the only way, as registered letters are only for documents (you can add insurance to an unregistered letter, but not signature on delivery).

This isn't correct.  It says on the tear off label on the back of the prepaid registered envelopes "Warning: this envelope is not suitable for sending jewellery or precious stones.  Small rigid items such as keys or coins should be securely packed to avoid loss or damage."

Is this for international pre-paid registered envelopes?

The reason I stated the above was because I and a couple of others were trying to find out if you can send non-documents as a registered letter internationally, and from all of the information we found online and in AP guides, it seemed fairly clear that they (pre-paid international registered envelopes) were for documents only, however I'm also pretty sure none of us had an envelope to refer to. 

I have sent a few international letters recently with extra cover (insurance) but I most definitely could not add SOD to them. 

Message 51 of 57
Latest reply

How do people manage to resurrect FIVE YEAR OLD THREADS!!!!!???????

Good grief.

Message 52 of 57
Latest reply

Message 53 of 57
Latest reply

Please let this thread rest in peace. It's had its time.

Thread was started: ‎25-08-2012 06:43 PM

Last post of substance: 03-09-2017 06:37 PM

(Start a new thread by clicking onto New message. Remember to type into the body of the text field to avoid posting a blank post.)

Message 54 of 57
Latest reply

Countess, this is all Lithiums fault due to the hints they offer when someone tries to add a new post title.

Lithium really should be putting a time limit on what can be reusurrected.

Most well run forums like Whirlpool have an archive mode where old posts can be read but not added to.

Message 55 of 57
Latest reply

It couldn't have been a good hint as the bumper didn't even bother to post anything.

Message 56 of 57
Latest reply

It's more than likely due to mobile browsing. If you enter a thread and have the cursor in the reply field, but then hit back, you'll post a blank reply. (Done it myself a couple of times).
Message 57 of 57
Latest reply