Sending items as a large letter.

Ok so Ive started selling small light items,  Ive done my research and seen that everyone else is selling the same thing as a large letter or stamp mail in a padded envelope.     Go into the post office today to post an item and see how many "stamps" ill need.   Guy tells me oh no thats a parcel rate.    Argue it with him,  he pulls out the slot measure and makes a feable and failing attempt to push my parcel through.    Show him another item which would clearly fit,  oh no thats a parcel too.    What gives?      I know Auspost is privatised,  are they making more money making sure small items do not go through as large letters.       I know my first mistake was taking it to a teller in the first place,  but I dont really want to be sneaking my items through the mail as letters either.

However,  I cant sell this item with 7 dollars extra postage tacked onto it,  I just wouldnt be able to compete.      So the only other thing I can think is to get some stamps and just put it myself in the red box, and squeeze it through right and proper,  but now do I run the risk of having it returned or my customer having to pick up the cost on the other end.

Any advice,  comments?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ah, but the problem is that PJ sells mostly summer clothing so I have to get my winter woolies from other sellers.;-)

Message 31 of 57
Latest reply

dylan post #12, do you know where I can get 20mm cardboard boxes? I'm in WA

Hi, I just buy them on ebay in bulk. I dont think it is allowed to link to a seller or item but a search for "310x220 mailing box" will get some results.

Message 32 of 57
Latest reply

thanks dylan, found them 😄

Message 33 of 57
Latest reply

I buy zip-lock bags by the hundred, and keep about 6 different sizes handy.

Vacuum-press the air out.

Viola!

Some 'spongy' items need to pressed down under a heavy weight to get flat enough.

Message 34 of 57
Latest reply

Also some P.O workers are really strict, as the letters are supposed to fall through the slot with no 'grabbing' at all.

Message 35 of 57
Latest reply

ecutalk
Community Member

pack flat, DONT use DL size envelopes (they do go through machines, C5/larger ones dont), and post in the red post box with $1.20 postage, NOT over the counter - no need to. make sure it is actually <20mm.

i buy the prepaid C5 envelopes in bulk and use them, never had an issue.

Message 36 of 57
Latest reply

I am so glad you have addressed this issue, as I have the exact same question.  I have come back to ebay after a year to sell now they have the 30 free listings....thought yay you beaut, but then noticed Aust Post have gotten rid of the rate for small parcels, which used to be weighed......now it is just the flat $6-60 for up to 500gm...

Absolutely disguisting if you ask me......I used to sell earrings....and really they arent paper nor a document as someone said above, but I'd be up for $6.60 postage.

If you can send it as a letter, do so.......Australia Post are being greedy....and yes definitely change post offices!!!!!

I have a lot of books to sell but that is just about a waste of time....anything over 500gm is 11.20............

So now I know not to buy any book over 500gm and too thick, just not worth it.

My only way to make it viable to sell what books I already have is to bundle them up to 3 kgs and sell them as bulk.

I will be asking for one of those slots......thanks

I love that ebay have the 3o free listings, but the postage costs are making it really hard.

Message 37 of 57
Latest reply

I used to sell earrings....and really they arent paper nor a document as someone said above, but I'd be up for $6.60 postage.

Hi. You could possibly pack the earings into a Bx7 CD mailer. It may seem a little weird but it's a cardboard box (so, pretty protected) and about 10mm thick, which is easily small enough for a large letter rate. You could add a little bit of padding on the inside (not too much or it won't close) and see how you go. You might want to ask Aus Post is you are allowed to put earrings in a "CD" mailer but if you can, it might be an option.

The Bx7 costs about $1.50 and should bring the total send within Aus to about $3, give or take.

Message 38 of 57
Latest reply

Hi. You could possibly pack the earings into a Bx7 CD mailer. It may seem a little weird but it's a cardboard box (so, pretty protected) and about 10mm thick, which is easily small enough for a large letter rate.

That's one of the things I do when I want to post something that's less than 2cm but requires a little more protection than a bubble mailer, especially handy for jewellery with glass or crystal components, or fragile beads and pendants. Large letters don't have to be paper / documents, even though some PO staff will insist that they do.

Message 39 of 57
Latest reply

Hint for pj.......sell winter clothes as well, for the sake of Lyndal's health (and the good of mankind) pease

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 40 of 57
Latest reply