Sending items as a large letter.

Ok so Ive started selling small light items,  Ive done my research and seen that everyone else is selling the same thing as a large letter or stamp mail in a padded envelope.     Go into the post office today to post an item and see how many "stamps" ill need.   Guy tells me oh no thats a parcel rate.    Argue it with him,  he pulls out the slot measure and makes a feable and failing attempt to push my parcel through.    Show him another item which would clearly fit,  oh no thats a parcel too.    What gives?      I know Auspost is privatised,  are they making more money making sure small items do not go through as large letters.       I know my first mistake was taking it to a teller in the first place,  but I dont really want to be sneaking my items through the mail as letters either.

However,  I cant sell this item with 7 dollars extra postage tacked onto it,  I just wouldnt be able to compete.      So the only other thing I can think is to get some stamps and just put it myself in the red box, and squeeze it through right and proper,  but now do I run the risk of having it returned or my customer having to pick up the cost on the other end.

Any advice,  comments?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Well thats a good point about the clothing,  I guess im picturing a ziplock freezer bag here   but i guess people also use those bags you seal with a machine.       Im glad i did this post,  if I decide to carry new clothing in my store I'll definately be sealing it properly in plastic.

As far as blaming the postal worker for not gettting my letter through,     it was more to do with the fact i know other clerks are way more helpful.  He looked at my second package which was a flat article already sealed in its own plastic box- It would have resembled a package of stationary had he not seen it had a baby wrap in it,  It totally would have fit but he automatically said no thats a package.    Ive also read heaps of posts online trying to find out how I can send light small items as letters and the impression i get is that post offices only want to send letters as letters they arent exactly going to encourage you to send items as letters.  Which is probably why people are also so confused about what you can send at letter rates.    I guess Im just going to have to experiment and try.

Message 21 of 57
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

I just wrap items in freezer bags.

The main reasons being is to prevent them from getting wet and it allows me to tape the items to a couple of pieces of cardboard.

That also allows them to be sent as a large letter.

I then use the "posters" we get excess of as wrapping material,(saves using envelopes),B-)

Message 22 of 57
Latest reply

Yes lyndal, sometimes the satchels can arrive with holes in them.

The satchels are perforated... they ALL have holes in them.

Plus the seal at the "open" end is not in any way waterproof after you fold and stick it down.

Ziplock bags are the perfect cheap way to deal with waterproofing. Not freezer bags, the normal ziplock bags - I get mine from Aldi and Coles (Hercules brand)

Message 23 of 57
Latest reply

I use gladwrap.

Message 24 of 57
Latest reply

it's surprising what fits into one size 0 padded envelope and still fits through the Post Office slot. I had a seller once (on my wife's ID - now resigned) who claimed he crammed 38 large gemstones totalling about 1,200 carats, plus individual plastic shrink wraps plus packing and bubble wrap into 1 of those. And eBay and PayPal believed him.

Message 25 of 57
Latest reply

I buy from several good clothing sellers on ebay.

ME ME ME.......You didn't add that you bought from the BEST clothes seller on ebay with the BESTEST packaging.

licorice (love the namne by the way) there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the food bags, I buy mine elsewhere as I can purchase them by the thousand cheaper. I have two sizes, one that fits the 500g and the other the 3kg satchels exactly.

I use gladwrap and bubblewrap for non clothing items like books but always make sure there is no way water can seep through.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 26 of 57
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

But you are only the best for 6 months of the year PJ.:_|

I still have to wear clothes for the other 6 months.:^O

Message 27 of 57
Latest reply

Lyndal, you need to buy double the amount then you won't be naked while pj is away - simple really (and sure pj won't mind) :^O

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 28 of 57
Latest reply

dylan post #12, do you know where I can get 20mm cardboard boxes? I'm in WA

Message 29 of 57
Latest reply

Hi,

I have a designer clothing store and have found that I can post small and flimsy items for $3 by buying prepaid large envelopes (B4 by memory?) - they are the ones with a purple stamp franked onto it. They have the usual 500g and 2cm thickness rule. Usually they are behind the counter so obviously you have to ask for them. They are made from a thick paper/card so are relatively sturdy and best of all they can be bought in bulk so you do not have to line up everytime you want to post something this way. The price is $2.70 each- I charge customers a flat $3 the extra 30cents being absorbed by a cellophane bag to protect the item, a short thank-you letter and a  thin lollipop! So far I have not had any problems sending items this way nor had any go missing. Touch wood!!!

Message 30 of 57
Latest reply