Sending to a different address

A buyer who lives in UK purchased an item from me and asked to send it to an Aus address to reduce shipping costs. I am aware I need to send to the address listed in her paypal accout so I am covered with seller protection. I dont know what address she has listed in paypal. 

She currently has an invoice with a delivery fee to UK listed. im not too sure what do do here?? 

Do I ask her to ensure her paypal address is an AUS address before I send her an updated invoice with the reduced shipping fees?? If she currently has her UK address listed in paypal can she shange this to an AUS address before I sned her up updated invoice?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Sending to a different address

Yes, definitely ask her to update her address to the Aussie one or tell her you are obligated to post it to the address listed.

You will have no comeback if you send it elsewhere. What happens if they say they have never received it? If the buyer is legitimite there shouldn't be an issue changing the address temporarily.

The other thing you could do, if you are willing to take the risk and send the item to the Aussie address in good faith is to get the buyer to send you the request in writing. Also, if it isn't a large item, they might agree to meet registered postal costs so that you have a tracking record of the item being sent and received.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If the buyer checks out with an Australian address, fine. Send it.

There is no way in the world that Paypal will accept a copy of a request even in writing. The item has to be sent to the address provided to Paypal by the buyer at the time of payment. Which is any address the buyer cares to nominate.

Also, if it isn't a large item, they might agree to meet registered postal costs so that you have a tracking record of the item being sent and received.

Are you sure? Given that payment using Paypal gives the buyer the protection they need. Never, never, never give the buyer the option of higher postage for your, the seller, protection. Just charge it.

Oh, yeah. Registered post has not been available for any items except letters for the last 6 months.

And all parcels have had tracking, of a sort, for the same period.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

You can have several addresses listed in paypal, it's really easy to change - my mailbox was taken out by the floods a few years back, and I have both the PO box and the residential listed on paypal now, as well as another family member's address for one time when I bought them a surprise gift that I had delivered straight to them. I pick and choose addresses for different items on checkout.

Just tell your buyer that you cannot send to any address other than the paypal listed address they have selected for this transaction, or risk your seller protection, which you are not willing to do. It only takes a few seconds to type in a new address!

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks to all of you for your responses, much appreciated! 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@rebeccav2012 wrote:

Do I ask her to ensure her paypal address is an AUS address before I send her an updated invoice with the reduced shipping fees?? 

Just to clarify, you don't need to actually do anything here. I presume the listing has postage options to the UK and Australia. When the buyer purchased, their primary shipping address would have been set to their UK address, which is why their postage costs showing on an invoice is P&H to the UK.

But if your listing has an Oz P&H quote, your buyer just needs to click "Pay Now" as normal, update the address, then the Oz quote should be charged - no need for a new invoice, otherwise you'll basically send an invoice for the Australian quote to a UK address.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply