Should there be a no return clause

cram_kevi
Community Member
Dodgy sellers
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

It is up to buyers to read listing before buying

Sellers should not be forced to accept change of mind returns when a buyer chooses not to do so 

Nor does it make a seller dodgey because a buyer cba to read what is clearly mentioned 

Just as many dodgey buyers 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@cram_kevi wrote:
NO

The issue with this is that you're basically saying sellers shouldn't have the right to determine their own policies because it's inconvenient for you. 

There are consumer laws in place that are designed to protect both parties to a transaction - they protect you as the buyer against unfair practices by a seller, and they are also there to protect sellers from unfair actions from buyers. And to note, "unfair" does not mean "I don't like it", and it doesn't mean "it's not fair that I can't do what I want". 

If you don't want sellers to have the legal right to refuse returns for change of mind reasons, then you would need to get enough support to lobby for a change in the law. 

Why not just onsell the clubs? 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

cram_kevi
Community Member
Tried to on sale at a reduced price no luck.I emailed seller and he said try and sell if not get bavk to me in 2 weeks.Which I did but ignored.
Thanks for listening
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@cram_kevi,

There does seem to be a particular type of shopper culture which anticipates being able to return an item after purchasing it, based on such things as:

• when I got it home, I tried it on and didn't like the look
  • I didn't try it on before buying and now I realise that it doesn't fit
  • I can now see that it doesn't match the colour I wanted
  • I didn't like the movie
  • The story stank and I hated the ending
  • I found it cheaper somewhere else and now I'm kicking myself
  • I'm not going on that trip anymore so I don't need this now
  • I didn't realise that it was dryclean only
  • I can't handle this; it works differently than I expected

But those are change-of-mind reasons (aka buyer's remorse). They are not reasons covered by Australian Consumer Law.

A quick excerpt below is a direct quotation from one of the ACCC's explanatory pages:

โExceptions to guarantees

Consumer guarantees do not apply if you:

• got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper somewhere else, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it
  • misused a product in any way that caused the problem
  • knew of or were made aware of the faults before you bought the product
  • asked for a service to be done in a certain way against the advice of the business or were unclear about what you wanted.โž

Consumer guarantees. Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. (2011). Retrieved 23 December 2020, from https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Not to mention that ACL doesn't apply to secondhand goods purchased from a private seller.

The seller is definitely not a business under that ID, so there is no recourse to ACL, or COM returns, as the seller is smart enough not to provide them.

cram, or kevi, the best analogy is buying something at a garage sale and then deciding, after you got home, that what you bought wasn't actually what you got.

Caveat emptor.

I note that you haven't deigned to tell us why you wanted to return the clubs. As I noted in your other thread, I suspect it's because you didn't notice that they were for lefties. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@cram_kevi wrote:
NO

Nothing dodgy about it,  I got sick and tired of accepting returns for people buying size 46 in belts,  then going sorry its too big, I need a size 34  etc.  A right pain ITA,  let alone lost postage costs etc, when item is sold with free shipping.

So quite frankly buyers should read and comprehend a listing before buying.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

cram_kevi
Community Member
Is this a seller's site sounds like it dodgy ebay seller's
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@cram_kevi wrote:

Is this a seller's site sounds like it dodgy ebay seller's

You still haven't told us whether you bought LH clubs without reading the information in the listing, expecting them to be RH clubs.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply