Simply Collect at Woolwoths and Big W

Hi guys,

I was just reading up on this new Simply Collect at Woolworths and Big W.

There are double standards here.

Ebay offers buyers 100% Guarantee if they are not happy with their items, and I think this is covered over 90 days from ebay sellers

On facebook, it states with Simply collect at these two stores (Woolworths and Big W)

Your parcel will be held in store for seven days, starting from when you are sent your collection code.

If you fail to collect your item by the date provided you will not be entitled to a refund as you will no longer be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee.

thoughts?

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Simply Collect at Woolwoths and Big W

This type of service has been used in the UK for many years and by more and more on line retailers all the time. I cannot see why collecting during extended shopping hours would be a problem, there is no cut off time for opening a dispute so as long as you collect within 7 days of receiving notice of arrival at the store why should there be a problem?  It is no different than a buyer failing to pick up a parcel from the PO, it gets returned to sender, no different.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

@justajunk wrote:

Personally, speaking, delivering to a Woolies rather than a street address sounds a lot more secure. There's no chance of a postie trying to 'safe' drop an article; also you don't have to worry about buyers not receiving notices in their letter box to advise that items are available for collection.

May be it would be easier to introduce a new service for Australia Post when sender can choose to leave the parcel in local Australia Post shop  by buyers request and for their collection from their instead of trying to deliver  it during business hours and dropping it on a street. 

Post shops are open on Saturdays so why do they need to invent smething involving some third parties like Woolies and BigW shops? At least this way Australia Post won't pay anything to their contractors for some parcel delivery so any storage space in Australia Post shops reserved for such a service will be paid for from this money. 

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

It is no different than a buyer failing to pick up a parcel from the PO, it gets returned to sender, no different.

It is different because we currently know exactly what happens when a buyer doesn't collect an item, and buyers are also still eligible for protection if they take longer than 7 days to collect from the PO. In other words, once they take possession of the item - no matter how long it took them to do so (within the normal confines of the protection programs, anyway) - they are still protected for INAD. 

I am not saying the service is going to cause huge problems, I am just saying I would like to know how certain problems, that will likely arise relatively consistently, are going to be dealt with. It doesn't take a genius to have some foresight into these kinds of issues, hence why I was able to think of them and wonder what happens, so I can't see why there isn't at least a little more information available about who takes responsibility for what, including loss and/or damage. 

Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

@ozstockman wrote:

@justajunk wrote:

Personally, speaking, delivering to a Woolies rather than a street address sounds a lot more secure. There's no chance of a postie trying to 'safe' drop an article; also you don't have to worry about buyers not receiving notices in their letter box to advise that items are available for collection.

May be it would be easier to introduce a new service for Australia Post when sender can choose to leave the parcel in local Australia Post shop  by buyers request and for their collection from their instead of trying to deliver  it during business hours and dropping it on a street. 

Australia Post already offers that service. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's called My Parcel or somesuch - a while back they were running a promotion where you got a free 500gm express satchel for signing up, but I think that's ended now.

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

Hi All.

From what I can see about this is it is only available to the Woolies Group. EG Woolis Big W Dick Smith Bws Masters Dan Murphys Cellar Masters and any thing else this MEGA DOLLAR Monstrosity Owns.

So Once again Us Smaller independants that really help Build Ebay Gumtree PayPal etc are left aside and our charges increase to help Pay for the Deals that are done between the Mega Dollar Monsters,,,, Why do you think our Pay Pal charges went up?? Do you really think that The Mega Dollar Monsters pay even a fraction of these fees??

not sure If you Guys have been on E Bid......Have a look

@retrovintagecollectables3195 wrote:

Hi guys,

I was just reading up on this new Simply Collect at Woolworths and Big W.

There are double standards here.

Ebay offers buyers 100% Guarantee if they are not happy with their items, and I think this is covered over 90 days from ebay sellers

On facebook, it states with Simply collect at these two stores (Woolworths and Big W)

Your parcel will be held in store for seven days, starting from when you are sent your collection code.

If you fail to collect your item by the date provided you will not be entitled to a refund as you will no longer be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee.

thoughts?

Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

It is a busy time in supermarkets after 5.30p.m... with people stopping in on their way home from work -  buy some groceries, pick up your eBay parcel all in the same store.

Everyone is so fixated on picking up parcels from Woolworths during their extended shopping hours that they are completely ignoring that Big W is involved as well.

Only selected stores are nominated in each area and a random check of several postcode areas in Sydney reveals that there are as many, if not more Big W stores nominated than Woolworths.  And Big W does not have extended shopping hours...just till 6pm on all the stores I checked.

I can see the 7 day pickup or lose your buyer protection being a real problem.  Buyer wouldn't chose that option if they can't get to a store that is open 7 days a week, within 7 days. Buyer can also elect to send another person to collect it for them with their code.

I  only mentioned Woolies as they have a lot more supermarkets in an area than Big W's. There are 2 Big W's in the Wollongong area, none in the city. More supermarkets than Big W.  I realise simply collect includes Big W. People don't usually  stop in at  Big W  for food, on their way home from work like they do supermarkets.

Big W is also open Sat & Sun, late night Thurs.... that allows time for people that work Min-Fri 9-5. Don't forget buyers have the option to choose this service or not... they wouldn't choose it if they can't get to those stores in their opening hours.

Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

am, at the moment Wollongong is not even included in the trial....just Tasmania and selected areas of Sydney.

There is not a choice of Woolworths or Big W....the buyers can only choose from a list of participating stores in their area.

In my area the closest to me is in the local shopping centre where the Woolworths and Big W stores are side by side.....our pickup point is the Big W, not Woolworths.

Try putting random Sydney postcodes into a listing that has the option...you will find that some areas have no pickup points and in areas that do there are as many if not more Big Ws than Woolworths.

It is not a free for all where the buyer decides what store and where they want to pick up.....it is strictly regulated and limited for now.

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

Yes, I realise this scheme is in a trial phase.  I know that Wgong isn't included yet, I was using that as an example. I realise it will only be available selected stores.

I am mainly referring to this from the opening post:

If you fail to collect your item by the date provided you will not be entitled to a refund as you will no longer be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee

Buyers (who have the option to use this service now) have a choice whether to use that service or not.. if it doesn't suit them (opening hours, location of pickup point), they wouldn't choose it.

Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

Buyers (who have the option to use this service now) have a choice whether to use that service or not.. if it doesn't suit them (opening hours, location of pickup point), they wouldn't choose it.

I am taking a bet that we will see the usual buyers who don't read the instructions properly coming here with problems.

It seems to me it is just another ebay policy to keep the boardies busy.Smiley Frustrated

Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Wanna make a bet? ๐Ÿ˜›

I'm willing to bet everyone who selects their PO box as the delivery address does so because it suits them. I'm also willing to bet there has been instances of a package not being collected from a PO box and returned to the seller, and that sometimes the buyer / seller arrange for the package to be resent, so the buyer ultimately receives the package one way or another. 

This sort of thing happens because it can be a couple of weeks in between a buyer purchasing something and it arriving at the point of collection - lots of things can happen in 24 hours let alone 2 weeks. 

I don't think eBay's MBG is the be all and end all of protections, obviously, but at the same time, I can't actually see any real reason to compromise it on that specific proviso.

And I repeat, I'm not saying the service is going to be fraught with problems like this, more likely 99% of the time things will go just fine, but I honestly don't get why some of these kinds of issues can't be addressed by eBay et al up front, and I also don't get why you keep saying the bit I've quoted as if the buyer, the seller, eBay or Woolies can guarantee all circumstances, promises, expectations, whatever, will be the same as when the buyer clicks 'buy' - as mentioned above, I use C&C on the odd occasion, the last few times I purchased on Saturday night, intending to collect Sunday or Monday at the latest, and both times stuff got in the way and I couldn't, leaving my goods at the store several days longer than I planned. It really isn't unthinkable for that to happen to other people, as well, especially when there's a lot more than 12-24 hours between buying and getting notice the item is available for collection.

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply