Slow & Rude Payer

lrtmms
Community Member

I have sold a water damaged iPhone 4s that I had used as a parts donor at the starting bid of $20 + $8.50 post four days ago (Friday 11th). I sent the buyer a payment reminder a day after the listing ended as I wanted to ship it out on Monday along with other items at the same time. (It is a 20km/12.5mile round trip to the post office).

This is the response I got: I have 3 days don't be pushy

I know I was probably being a bit pushy but certainly didn't expect such a response! (Normally buyers pay within 12 hours)

The buyer only has two positive feedback scores. I thought I had enabled buyer restrictions on the listing but that may not have been the case.

Now that it is four days without payment, what is the best way to deal with this customer without them turning and destroying my eBay reputation. What if he recieves the item and starts a case arguing it is not as described etc? My description was very clear.

It is surprising it has to take so long to pay for an item you intend to purchase.

Ideally, I would like to cancel the purchase and consider hanging onto it as I don't want to sell it just to have my eBay reputation destroyed.

What are your thoughts and what are the options I can legally take through eBay?

Message 1 of 113
Latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: Slow & Rude Payer

lrtmms
Community Member
I listed this phone to cover the purchase price plus the postage I paid but it didn't sell even though others did at a higher price. However, they had $0.99 starts. I then dropped the price by $8, which meant Id loose the cost of the postage I paid when I got it. Then this buyer got it...
Message 61 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Thanks Imastawka, wasn't sure if I was going to get any sleep tonight!! I'll put it on tomorrow morning.
Message 62 of 113
Latest reply

I would give the buyer a little bit of breathing space, show them that you're not frothing at the mouth and waiting to open a dispute.

Honestly, sending a payment reminder message isn't generally required (eBay will send one 48 hours after the sale, unless you switch them off in your settings), but the buyer's response was unnecessary. Sellers can sometimes handle things in a less than ideal way, as you're well aware now I'm sure, but if a buyer takes that as an opportunity or encouragement to be aggressive and/or petty, then they (the buyer) get no support from me. It's not hard to respond kindly, even if you are annoyed by something, and that buyer's response escalated the situation as well.

Message 63 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Yes I agree. Treat others as you'd have them treat you. I responded to this person gently when I felt otherwise.

By the way, if they do pay what should I do about my sender address on the parcel? I don't really want them to know where I live!
Message 64 of 113
Latest reply

@lrtmms wrote:
So as he's going to 'get paid tonight', should I wait for another 3 days for a cheque to clear etc before lodging an unpaid dispute? Or is it best just to lodge it tomorrow after it hits 5 days unpaid?

Okay, so sending a payment reminder message 12 or so hours after a sale wasn't smart, would always cause a bit of resentment. I'd feel a bit annoyed myself & I'm usually pretty mild mannered. Not that i would abuse you, this is one nasty customer you have.

Lesson learnt-with auction sales, let the 4 days run their course, whether it suits you or not.

But it seems to me you're running too scared of this buyer.More scared than you need to be.

First off-no more communication, not needed.

I would open  an unpaid item claim tomorrow if that is day 5. The buyer himself mentioned he 'had 4 days' so he knows the score. He knows he hasn't got 4 days plus 3 more for his work cheque to clear etc

If he paid, I would post it with tracking.

If he didn't pay, then after 4 days i would simply finalise the case to issue him with a strike.

If he gave negative feedback after not paying, I would ring ebay to get it removed.

If he did pay & gave neg feedback, I would give a factual reply.

But I know you are nervous about this buyer. If you wish, you could always wait 3 more days for payment-without sending any more messages etc though-and if at the end there is no payment, go from there with the unpaid item case.

If he then paid & gave a neg, you could reply you're not pushy, you waited over 8 days for payment.

Up to you how long you wait, but one thing not to do-don't offer cancellation at this stage.

Message 65 of 113
Latest reply

Just put your first name and your work address or the address of your local PO. If you have a My Post account, you can use your parcel collect address. That way they only see the PO address, not yours.

If there are any identifying marks on the phone, a scuff or scratch, a chip on the screen, anything, photograph them, making sure you have clear photos.

Message 66 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Thanks Springy-zone, yes I've been a bit nervous over getting a neg and then having him claim a refund with PayPal onto me and then the risk of being blocked. All by selling a $20 item at an $8 loss. Seems eBay give buyers far too much power nowadays.
Message 67 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Ok thanks Tippy toes,

I'll put the PO address on it.

If I knew it'd be this much hassle I would have kept it. However, it certainly has been a very good learning experience that's for sure!
Message 68 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
As the buyer enters a binding agreement to pay for the item, I feel inclined to put up a dispute tomorrow as I don't want it to drag out for another week. Or could this expose the risk of my ebay reputation being ruined unnecessarily? (I expect to get a neg after how offensive the messages were)
Message 69 of 113
Latest reply

@lrtmms wrote:
Thanks Springy-zone, yes I've been a bit nervous over getting a neg and then having him claim a refund with PayPal onto me and then the risk of being blocked. All by selling a $20 item at an $8 loss. Seems eBay give buyers far too much power nowadays.

In this case it is your actions that have given the buyer so much power although he seems particularly aggressive.

If he is supposed to be paid tonight I would wait till Thursday to allow him time to access his pay.  It is doubtful that his pay would be a cheque requiring clearance time....more likely a bank deposit/transfer that he can access in the morning.  No payment by Thursday...open the dispute with no further correspondence.

As your buyer seems to know the system I am thinking he may be waiting for you to open the dispute knowing that he will then have a further 4 days to pay....I think he is going to string it out as long as he possibly can to pay you back. 

As a matter of interest....does the buyer live near you? 

Unless he is very close I would not be worried about him having your address....he is probably all bluff and bluster while hiding behind a computer screen but unlikely to do anything even if he knows your address.

Message 70 of 113
Latest reply