Slow & Rude Payer

lrtmms
Community Member

I have sold a water damaged iPhone 4s that I had used as a parts donor at the starting bid of $20 + $8.50 post four days ago (Friday 11th). I sent the buyer a payment reminder a day after the listing ended as I wanted to ship it out on Monday along with other items at the same time. (It is a 20km/12.5mile round trip to the post office).

This is the response I got: I have 3 days don't be pushy

I know I was probably being a bit pushy but certainly didn't expect such a response! (Normally buyers pay within 12 hours)

The buyer only has two positive feedback scores. I thought I had enabled buyer restrictions on the listing but that may not have been the case.

Now that it is four days without payment, what is the best way to deal with this customer without them turning and destroying my eBay reputation. What if he recieves the item and starts a case arguing it is not as described etc? My description was very clear.

It is surprising it has to take so long to pay for an item you intend to purchase.

Ideally, I would like to cancel the purchase and consider hanging onto it as I don't want to sell it just to have my eBay reputation destroyed.

What are your thoughts and what are the options I can legally take through eBay?

Message 1 of 113
Latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: Slow & Rude Payer

@lrtmms wrote:
Yes I realise it probably wasn't the best thing to do. No I didn't threaten a dispute, I just clicked the 'send payment reminder' button 12 hours later. He then replied saying he had three days. Today is day 4.

As eBay have already charged the commision fees to my account and if payment is not made in the next day, I will need to open a non payment dispute to get the fees back. Alternatively I can send you a cancellation request if you no longer want the item.

You said in an earlier post that this is what you said in your latest (?) message to the buyer.  This is basically threatening a non-payment dispute.

Message 51 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Yes I sent that tonight. (Day 4)
Message 52 of 113
Latest reply

The forums are full of stories of people who've been scammed when selling phones so I doubt what you're planning would be worthwhile.  Not everyone would get scammed or nobody would be selling them, but phones and clothing are probably the most scam-prone products on ebay.

Message 53 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Ok. Yes I got done buying this one anyway. Should have just held onto it I think. What a duffer I am!!
Message 54 of 113
Latest reply

@lrtmms wrote:

Thanks for all your help. This is the first time I've had someone like this.

So can PayPal give the person a handout no questions asked if they complain?

Assuming they pay.

If you send the item with tracking ( which you should definately do ) the buyer will not be able to claim they have not recieved the item. It would pay to upload the tracking number to the ebay site as soon as the item has been mailed.

You made it very clear in your item title and condition description that the phone was not working and only suitable for parts. That should cover you against item not as described claims. Basically I cant see what avenues the buyer would have to lodge a claim, but nothing suprises me any more. Personally I think it is unlikely the buyer would be succesful in lodging any claim.

If the buyer did manage to get some sort of claim to stick, they would still have to return the phone to you, in the same condition that it was sent to recieve a refund. If this was a result of a succesful claim, you would be required to pay the return postage. I had a look at the listing, but did not check wether you accept returns for change of mind. If you do, the buyer could request to return the item at their expense and recieve a refund.

Message 55 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Thanks, thats a relief. It was listed as no returns.
Message 56 of 113
Latest reply

Further to that post, I would also take note of serial numbers and any other identifying numbers, including IMEI numbers. Photograph them. I'm not sure about iPhones, but my Samsung has the numbers under the battery. The IMEI number is there too, so you don't need the phone turned on to find it. I'm suggesting this because some buyers will claim there is a problem and send back a different item. If you don't have these numbers you can't prove they sent a different one back.

Auction vs BIN. It really depends on what you're selling. Some things seller better as a buy it now, others sell better at auction. Phones are one thing that seem to sell better at auction. I sell collectables. Some sell better at auction some at BIN, so I list both. Running any auctions, always start the auction at the lowest you're willing to accept. You have to assume you'll only get one bid. If the sale of your phone falls through and you decide that the minimum you want for it is $50, then start the auction at that. If someone feels it's worth more than that, then they will bid it up and you get more than you planned. If only one person bids, you still got what you wanted.

Things like phones and computers, especially second hand sell a lot better at auction. People think they will get a new phone (to them) for a fraction of the price of buying a new phone from a shop. 

Message 57 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
So as he's going to 'get paid tonight', should I wait for another 3 days for a cheque to clear etc before lodging an unpaid dispute? Or is it best just to lodge it tomorrow after it hits 5 days unpaid?
Message 58 of 113
Latest reply

lrtmms
Community Member
Thanks. The later iPhones have the IMEI engraved on the rear case but the 4s doesn't. I don't know if it's on the underneath of the logic board though.
Message 59 of 113
Latest reply

Stop putting yourself through all this 'will he, won't he' torture.

Open the damn UPI as soon as possible.

Time's up for the non-payer.  Not your problem when he gets paid.

Message 60 of 113
Latest reply