So much for "3 strikes and you're out!"

Wow, the feedback system doesn't  t seem to work!

I've been pretty lucky over the years with buyers, but of late, have been cursed with bad buyers.

The latest non payer emailed soon after purchase and brightly advised, "I'll pay Friday!" (4 days post sale)

I responded politely, Friday came and went....on reviewing this buyer's feedback, she had 31 "positive" comments stating non payment, time waster, reported to eBay, etc.

It certainly made me wonder how many other purchases she had failed to pay for, where sellers like me followed the rules and didn't leave negative feedback dressed up as positive. Of course, I opened a non payment case and I also reported in detail to eBay her 31 listed cases, also asking why eBay had not addressed this.

my understanding was that eBay had a policy banning buyers once 3 cases were lodged against them.

in any case, I received a response from eBay, patting my head and assuring me how seriously they were taking my report and how assiduously they were investigating it. 

As of today, she's merrily continuing her time wasting romp on eBay. 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I agree.
I think in the past feedback had the potential to be misused.
However, if an unpaid item case is lodged and "won" by the seller (as in, there is evidence the buyer failed to pay), I believe there should be a record of this on the buyer's ratings.
If you look at ratings and see for example, 50 positive ratings and 10 non payment claims, it would give you an idea of what you're dealing with.
Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

AS A NOVICE EBAY BUYER, BY MISTAKE I COMMITTED TO BUY A NUMBER OF ITEMS FROM FOUR DIFFERENT SELLERS, NOT REALISING THAT COMMIT MEANT EXACTLY WHAT IT SAID ,I BELIEVED THAT "PAY" SEALED THE DEAL....MAY ONE OF THE eBAY COMMUNITY ADVISE ME AS TO WHAT I SHOULD REQUEST OF THE SELLERS?
Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

Yes in ebay's eyes commit means you need to pay for the items.

You could request a cancellation with those sellers and hopefully they will understand why you want to cancel but those sellers are under no obligation to cancel and if they don't decide to cancel then you will either need to pay or you will have unpaid cases opened against you and if you don't pay then you will receive strikes and that may limit your buying on ebay.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

To add, when you committed to buy the items the sellers automatically get charged fees for the sale, so many sellers now open "unpaid item disputes" against non-payers.

If you don't pay you will get strikes against your account - more than one in a 12 month period and you'll be unable to buy from any seller that has their "buyer blocks" in place.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

Just have to ask, what did you think commit to buy meant.  If they were in your cart and you only want 1 then you just hit "Pay this seller only"  The other items will stay in your cart.

To me it seems self explanitory.  Anything you commit to is what you are going to do.

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Bemused by this, why would you think commit to buy wouldn't mean exactly what is said, but I guess shouting also makes it ok.

What should you request of the seller, request forgiveness, and pay up as you committed to do.
Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

@wir1_11 wrote:
AS A NOVICE EBAY BUYER, BY MISTAKE I COMMITTED TO BUY A NUMBER OF ITEMS FROM FOUR DIFFERENT SELLERS, NOT REALISING THAT COMMIT MEANT EXACTLY WHAT IT SAID ,I BELIEVED THAT "PAY" SEALED THE DEAL....MAY ONE OF THE eBAY COMMUNITY ADVISE ME AS TO WHAT I SHOULD REQUEST OF THE SELLERS?

I was going to write a conciliatory post suggesting you are new to ebay and made a mistake. ( fair enough, we all made plenty when we started..... )   

Then I noticed you have clocked up 35 feedbacks as a buyer from many different sellers in the past six months. Not all sellers leave feedback, so in all probability you have made 50 + purchases on ebay over a six month period. Not quite what I would call a novice.

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENLIGHTENING REPLY...I AM LEARNING FROM EACH SUCH REPLY AND WISH TO STAY A VALID, HONEST MEMBER OF THE eBAY COMMUNITY

@collect247 wrote:

Yes in ebay's eyes commit means you need to pay for the items.

You could request a cancellation with those sellers and hopefully they will understand why you want to cancel but those sellers are under no obligation to cancel and if they don't decide to cancel then you will either need to pay or you will have unpaid cases opened against you and if you don't pay then you will receive strikes and that may limit your buying on ebay.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

THANK FOR YOUR REPLY, I AM LEARNING AS I GO AND WISH TO STAY OK WITH THE eBAY COMMUNITY

@padi*0409 wrote:

To add, when you committed to buy the items the sellers automatically get charged fees for the sale, so many sellers now open "unpaid item disputes" against non-payers.

If you don't pay you will get strikes against your account - more than one in a 12 month period and you'll be unable to buy from any seller that has their "buyer blocks" in place.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, IT IS BECOMING MORE CLEAR TO ME AS I GO ALONG...I REPEAT THAT I AM VERY MUCH A COMPUTER AND eBAY NOVICE/BEGINNER/LEARNER AND I WAS MAKING A GREAT MANY PURCHASES FROM ALL DIFFERENT SELLERS IN THE ONE CROWDED EVENING AND MADE THE MISTAKE IN MY HASTE    AGAIN, I THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY    ROD

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Just have to ask, what did you think commit to buy meant.  If they were in your cart and you only want 1 then you just hit "Pay this seller only"  The other items will stay in your cart.

To me it seems self explanitory.  Anything you commit to is what you are going to do.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply