So much for "3 strikes and you're out!"

Wow, the feedback system doesn't  t seem to work!

I've been pretty lucky over the years with buyers, but of late, have been cursed with bad buyers.

The latest non payer emailed soon after purchase and brightly advised, "I'll pay Friday!" (4 days post sale)

I responded politely, Friday came and went....on reviewing this buyer's feedback, she had 31 "positive" comments stating non payment, time waster, reported to eBay, etc.

It certainly made me wonder how many other purchases she had failed to pay for, where sellers like me followed the rules and didn't leave negative feedback dressed up as positive. Of course, I opened a non payment case and I also reported in detail to eBay her 31 listed cases, also asking why eBay had not addressed this.

my understanding was that eBay had a policy banning buyers once 3 cases were lodged against them.

in any case, I received a response from eBay, patting my head and assuring me how seriously they were taking my report and how assiduously they were investigating it. 

As of today, she's merrily continuing her time wasting romp on eBay. 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

My goodness, what a loud voice you have!  I have made a note of your advice and will give it a go in the near future   Thank you

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

My goodness, what a big voice you have!  I have made a close note of your reply and intend to give it a go in the future   I thank you for your attention  Rod at Wollongong

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@wir1_11 wrote:

I have replied elsewhere in these pages that I am in my seventies and require CAPITALS for visual clarity, 

Please do not use your age as an excuse for anything.

Many of us (including me) are in our 70s and even 80s but age is immaterial to trading on ebay.

As you can see, now that members know that you have a problem they can be very helpful in solving them.

You asked how long you may be banned by some sellers.

If you have mucked a seller around and been put on his banned bidders list it will probably be permanent.

If you receive more than 2 strikes for non payment you will be banned from buying from sellers who have their buyer blocks in place for a period of 12 months.

It is anybody's guess hw many sellers that may be as not all sellers use these blocks.

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

Explains most of my problems very well and I thank you for your help

@countessalmirena wrote:

eBay-BuyItNow(button).jpg  You should regard this button as a commitment button.

Spoiler

eBay explains Buy It Now in this way: ❝Buy It Now is the simplest way to purchase an item on eBay. When you select Buy It Now, you agree to pay the seller's asking price, and can go straight to the checkout page to complete your purchase.❞ eBay gives you four days in which to make payment: ❝When you buy an item on eBay, whether you won an auction or used Buy It Now, you'll need to pay the seller. You need to pay for purchases within 4 days.❞

CAVEATS:

Just a note, though: if the seller has specified "Immediate payment required", then after you click onto Buy It Now, you must actually make your payment in order to finalise the transaction. eBay says: ❝When immediate payment is required, the item's still available until the buyer has completed payment.❞. (Click the postage and payments tab on the listing; under Payment details you will see something like this: 

PayPal funding sources in Payment Tab                                            PayPal preferred
    Immediate payment required for this item
    Immediate payment of AU $xx.xx is required.

If you don't make payment, then it's not a sale - another buyer can come along and click Buy It Now after you (because the item is still available until payment is made), and if they make payment before you do, that buyer is the purchaser, not you. In other words, you're not committed as the buyer until you have paid.

Also - when accessing eBay on a computer (rather than on a smart device using an app or using a mobile version of eBay), I do confirm that as I speak, the buyer is presented with a Checkout page that includes a Confirm and pay button. I was able to hit the back button on a test item where I'd clicked Buy It Now, without being committed to pay. (It was an item I was willing to purchase if that had not been the case.)

CAUTION:

BUT... (capitalised, bolded, and rubricated, to make sure the "but" is noted) ... you should not depend upon this Checkout page being there. I have seen many anecdotes on these boards about buyers finding themselves committed to pay for an item when they swore blind that they'd never had a confirmation page, hadn't intended to purchase, etc., etc. Do not complacently click this button thinking that you'll have a chance to wait, or change your mind. You should get used to thinking of the Buy It Now button as an agreement to purchase, like signing a contract. (Don't rely on there being an intervening step, even though there may be an intervening step, in particular if the seller requires immediate payment.)

eBay-AddToCart(button).jpg   The Add to cart button is a safe button to use if you're not sure about buying - or not ready to buy.

Spoiler

If you click Add to cart, the item goes into your cart. It doesn't reserve the item for you, but it makes it possible for you to check all of the details before you actually commit to the purchase, combine purchases to take advantage of any automatic combined purchase discounts, remind yourself of wanted items until you're ready to buy, and apply any discount code/voucher. It also makes it possible for you to pay for multiple items (all added to your cart) at once.

eBay explains the shopping cart in this way: ❝To add an item to your shopping cart, simply select Add to cart beneath the Buy It Now button on any fixed-price listing. To view the items you've previously placed in your cart, select the cart icon at the top of the eBay screen. You can then proceed to checkout, or continue shopping.
Until you pay, items in your cart can still be bought by other members. Listings for vehicles, auction-style listings without a Buy It Now option, and Classified Ad listings can't be added to the shopping cart.❞

When you have items in your cart, you haven't yet purchased them. You can still remove the item or items if you want, or an item may be removed automatically because it's no longer available.

When you're ready to go ahead and buy, you will go to your shopping cart, click onto the Go to checkout button, apply any discount code, check that your delivery address is correct (edit if not), choose your payment method, e.g.,

⭘ PayPal or
            ⭘ Credit or debit card 
            eBay payment options - credit card,

and finally press the Confirm and pay button.

eBay-PlaceBid(button).jpg   You should regard this button as a commitment button.

Spoiler

If you place a bid on an item that is listed for auction, you are agreeing to purchase if any of your bids end up as the winning bid. eBay says: ❝Remember, a bid is considered a binding contract. That means that when you bid on an item, you're committing to buy it if you win.❞

Also remember that, even if you're outbid, you could potentially still be the winner if for some reason any higher bid is retracted. eBay reminds you that ❝A bid is a binding contract. All bids are active until the auction ends.❞

With that in mind, only bid if you are prepared to pay.

CAVEAT:
You can retract your bid in some circumstances, but the circumstances are limited. If you misuse the bid retraction process, you could very well end up having your eBay account sanctioned by eBay. eBay says:

❝Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

• [...]
  • Limits on account privileges
  • Account suspension❞

eBay-MakeOffer(button).jpg   You should regard this button as a commitment button.

Spoiler

If a listing offers you the opportunity to make an offer on the item, the seller may be willing to negotiate. (Don't make ridiculous offers. You may run the risk of the seller regarding you as a timewaster if the offer is considered by them to be outrageously low, and you may find yourself blocked from making any further offers or purchasing from that seller.) If you make an offer, it is an agreement to purchase if the seller accepts your offer.

If the seller does not accept your offer, then there's no agreement and you are not committed to a purchase. (Generally speaking, you will have three (3) chances to make an offer on an item. If after 3 offers the seller has not accepted any offers, you will be locked out of making any additional offers. You can still buy the item at its Buy It Now price.)

The seller may not be prepared to accept your offer, but they may respond by giving you a counter-offer. If you accept the counter-offer, it is an agreement to purchase. If you don't accept the counter-offer, then again there is no agreement and you're not committed.

BOTTOM LINE:

You should only make an offer if you're prepared to follow through with purchasing. If you make an offer that is accepted by the seller, it works as though you have clicked a Buy It Now button with the offer price. You'll have 4 days to pay.

FIXED PRICE LISTINGS

Spoiler

eBay-BuyItNow-AddToCart(buttons).jpgOn fixed price listings (when the listing is not an auction), you will often see these two buttons as the available options. You can either Buy It Now (which means that you're entering into a contract to buy as soon as you click the Buy It Now button), or you can Add to cart (which means that you will only have entered into a contract to buy when you have pressed the Confirm and pay button on the Checkout page).

In brief:

• If you click Buy It Now, you are committed to buy - unless the seller of that item has specified Immediate Payment Required.
  • If you click Add to cart, you are not committed to buy until you have pressed the Confirm and pay button on the checkout page (accessible from your shopping cart page).

eBay-BuyItNow-AddToCart-MakeOffer(buttons).jpg  If you see these three buttons on a fixed price listing, it means that you can Buy It Now (contract entered into as soon as you click the button), Add to Cart (contract not yet entered into), or Make Offer (you agree to buy / contract entered into - if the seller accepts your offer).

AUCTION-STYLE LISTINGS

Spoiler

eBay-PlaceBid(button).jpg  This is the one button which you will always see if you look at an auction-style listing. You will see either a starting bid showing (something like AU $xx.xx), or - if anyone has already placed a bid - you'll see the current bid (something like AU $xx.xx       [2 bids]).

eBay-PlaceBid(button).jpg

eBay-BuyItNow(button).jpg

eBay-AddToCart(button).jpgThe seller may have listed the item with a Buy It Now price in addition to the auction-style bidding option. Buyers can place bids, or skip the bidding if  they click the Buy It Now button. Buyers may decide, for instance, that they don't want to wait for the auction to run its length - or they may worry that there might be a lot of other bidders driving up the price. (There will also be the Add to cart button on such listings.) However, once there is a bid on the item, this Buy It Now button - and the associated Add to cart button - will disappear. eBay explains that ❝The Buy It Now price is available only until someone bids on the item or until the reserve price is met.❞

eBay-PlaceBid(button).jpg

eBay-MakeOffer(button).jpg   Somewhat weirdly (in my opinion), auction listings can also have Best Offer enabled. The Make Offer button will appear on the listing in addition to the Place bid button.  The Make Offer button will only be enabled while the listing doesn't have any bids; once there's a bid, a potential buyer who was thinking of making an offer can no longer do so, and must instead place a bid if still interested.

WHEN HAS A BUYER ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT?

Spoiler

To be on the safe side, you should assume that clicking the following buttons will commit you to buy. If there are any additional steps involved in finalising your purchase, you'll see that after clicking.

eBay-BuyItNow(button).jpg

eBay-PlaceBid(button).jpg(subject to your bid being the winning bid)

eBay-MakeOffer(button).jpg(subject to seller accepting your offer)

WHEN HAS A BUYER NOT YET ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT?

Spoiler

Again being on the safe side, you can assume that clicking the following button does not commit you to buy and is not the entering into of a contract:.

eBay-AddToCart(button).jpg

WHAT HAPPENS IF A BUYER DOESN'T PAY AFTER COMMITTING TO BUY?

Spoiler

The seller will either agree to cancel the transaction or (increasingly the case) open an unpaid item case against the buyer. The seller must take this sort of action in order to receive an eBay credit for the Final Value Fees. There are additional stock costs and eBay-associated costs which the seller cannot recover if the buyer doesn't pay, and in addition to those are the non-recoverable PayPal fees if the buyer pays but afterwards demands/expacts a cancellation and refund, which is one reason why buyers should be careful before committing to buy by clicking Buy It Now, Place Bid, or Make Offer.

The buyer may suffer any or all of the following consequences:

• being placed on a Blocked Bidder List by the seller whose item hasn't been paid for;
  • being given an invisible non-payment strike by eBay;
  • being automatically blocked by a great many sellers who have their Buyer Blocks in place to prevent buyers with non-payment strikes from being able to place bids, make purchases, or contact them;
  • being known (by seller groups - because sellers do talk) as a buyer to be avoided (and thus added to many and many a Blocked Bidder List); and/or
  • having his/her eBay account restricted or - in the worst cases - suspended by eBay.

I hope that explains it.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

Explains my problems very well and I thank you for your reply  Rod at Wollongong

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

Explains my problems very well and I thank you for your help Rod at WOLLONGONG
Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

I mentioned my age not as an excuse but merely to state the facts of my life I thank you for your reply and have made a note of your advice and I appreciate your help Rod at Wollongong
Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

Explains my problems very well and I thank you for your reply If you and the others represent the ebay community, then I am glad to be a part of it Thanks to all who have replied
Message 37 of 37
Latest reply