Sold Item Lost in Transit

Hi there, I've recently sold an item that may be lost in transit. My listing specifically states that if a buyer wants to ensure that they receive compensation for any lost or damaged parcels due to transit, they can take out insurance when selecting a postage option. As this is the case, will I need to refund or make good if the parcel is actually lost in transit? Besides out of good will? Kind regards, Peony Rouge.
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A buyer does not need to pay extra for insurance as they are covered by ebay and Paypal, if you want to cover yourself then it is up to you to take out extra cover and either include it in the total postage cost or pay for it yourself.

I only purchase extra cover for items over $50, for everything else I allocate a few cents from each sale to a 'slush fund' which is enough to cover the cost of a couple of refunds or replacements for an item that goes missing without sufficient proof of delivery. 

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Was the parcel mailed with tracking?
What does the tracking status show?
If it shows not delivered then you may be able to approach AP for a discretionary payment, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Meanwhile your buyer will rightfully want either their money back or a replacement sent out.
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

This only happened to me one time (in 8 years of selling, touch wood!) and it was around 6 months ago.  Don't think rules have changed but this is what I was told to do/and did.  Obviously a copy of the receipt showing when you paid, a copy of the ebay invoice (showing cost of item, description and postage paid).  If it is under $100 they said they cover parcels and gave me a refund which I then gave to the buyer.  She was good about it as I had proof it was posted and proof of the Aust Post refund etc.  They keep it quiet that parcels under $100 are covered but if it is over $100 then you get a tough luck you should have chosen insured.  Mine was regular parcel post and receipt showed postcode which matched the ebay invoice.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

The parcel has been marked as delivered now.

But are you suggesting I provide a refund or send out a replacement because I have to? Or out of good will?

Even if I specifically state that the buyer can purchase insurance for any transit related loss or damage?

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Great tip. Thanks!

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Australia post insurance is practically useless. They will do anything not to pay out
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

peonyrouge  - under the new ebay money back guarantee which has come into effect this month you will be required to prove delivery. If you cannot prove delivery then you will have to either refund the buyer or send a replacement.

It is really up to the seller to decide on whether a not a parcel should be insured or not. There is really no valid reason why a buyer would want to pay extra if they are already covered under the Money Back Guarantee.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@cattychu wrote:

The parcel has been marked as delivered now.

But are you suggesting I provide a refund or send out a replacement because I have to? Or out of good will?

Even if I specifically state that the buyer can purchase insurance for any transit related loss or damage?

Why would you want to provide a refund or send a replacement when the parcel is now marked delivered.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

With the tracking number saying delivered, is that good enough proof of delivery under the new MBG, or does the OP need to go to the buyers house and actually take a photo of them holding their parcel as proof that it's been delivered?

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Helen - I don't think the OP is thinking about offering this particular buyer a refund or replacement now that the parcel has been delivered.

The way I read it is that they are seeking clarification if it does ever happen in the future.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply