Sold an item last week Pending eCheque But.......................

Hi all I sold an iten last week pending an eCheque Today the buyer has canceled the eCheque and paid for it through paypal directly without going through eBay. On eBay Sold items it still states Paypal Payment Pending. I checked Paypal account and money is available as she paid manually. Where do I go from here? I cannot mark item as posted and I am doubiousl about canceling the order. I have packed the item as will post it in the morning using Paypal invoice and address via registered post On the Paypal Packing slip there is no Item id. Anyone came accross this before.

Gayle

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hi

A bid awkward as mine was not an Echeck but I made a mistake I bought something on best offer and seller excepted but I made a mistake of hitting full price button.   We ended up same as you paying through Paypal and I just left the Payment pending there. Ebay gets the idea after a while and removes it.

But found when went into pay pal still was charging for this as well everytime bought something so look in the carts make sure it is not still sitting there if it is delete it.   Sorry not much help I know but a thought

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Don't quote me on it, but I believe eCheques are something that only the seller (not the buyer) can cancel.

From memory, when you go into 'pending payment' in PayPal it says something to the effect that only you (as a seller) can cancel it for security/safety reasons...

...so that might be what you need to do (perhaps confirm with the buyer first that they want the payment cancelled).

< edited to get rid of typos >

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Are you able to mark it as payment received, or can you resend an invoice? (A new invoice may clear the checkout selections/pending payment, and then you will be able to mark it as paid and posted.

Selling manager has an option to mark an item as paid & posted in one go as well, so it might work if you try it that way.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Are you able to mark it as payment received, or can you resend an invoice? (A new invoice may clear the checkout selections/pending payment, and then you will be able to mark it as paid and posted.

Selling manager has an option to mark an item as paid & posted in one go as well, so it might work if you try it that way.

I have the option to mark it as Paid And Posted will this leave me open to a defect? For the simple reason as far as eBay are concerned it is pending through Paypal and Paypal have not notified  eBay that the item has been paid. Secondly The buyer canceled the eCheque. Is that an Automatic defect and if you think Buyer cancels eCheque then I mark it as Paid and Posted. What will eBay think. I have never had one of these before and I want to make sure I have full seller protection, if there is any such thing these days.

Gayle

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

To Justajunk...

Just this week (Monday) we had a buyer buy about $60 worth of stuff from our website including express post option.

We got the email notification that the payment was a paypal echeque.

Then about an hour later we got another notification that the payment had been cancelled.

I looked in my paypal account and it said the transaction had been cancelled, but certainly not by us.

I called paypal about it and they said the buyer had cancelled the echeque.

We also thought it was only the seller could cancel them but apparently also the buyer can.

I contacted the buyer about it but never got any response.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@spottymeg53 wrote:

I have the option to mark it as Paid And Posted will this leave me open to a defect? For the simple reason as far as eBay are concerned it is pending through Paypal and Paypal have not notified  eBay that the item has been paid. Secondly The buyer canceled the eCheque. Is that an Automatic defect and if you think Buyer cancels eCheque then I mark it as Paid and Posted. What will eBay think. I have never had one of these before and I want to make sure I have full seller protection, if there is any such thing these days.

Gayle

A defect should only be caused by a seller-initiated cancellation, when the out-of-stock reason is selected, and occasionally refunding the payment in full via PayPal will also trigger a defect - I won't go so far as to say it;s impossible for one to be triggered, but I have never heard of an instance where a failed payment caused one, and certainly manually marking an item as payment received / posted shouldn't trigger one (it's something that has to be done manually for other forms of payment, like bank deposit).  Some sellers have been paid via bank deposit after failed echeques, even after UPI cases have been closed without payment, so I think it would work in much the same way, and since the buyer did go through checkout, the FVF on the item price and postage would have already been charged, so as far as eBay are concerned, the transaction has taken place, and only a UPI would tell them it wasn't paid for (obviously not appropriate in this case). 

It's not possible now for PayPal to update the payment status on eBay, because the payment won't have been linked to the transaction, so any further changes to payment status etc can only be done manually. 

This situation is a little bit more unusual, because the eBay checkout was initually used, but the payment itself wasn't made through the eBay checkout, so I don't know for sure if the eBay MBG can be used by the buyer, but even if they can open a request (I personally suspect they might not be able to, but anything is possible), all the usual rules and requirements would apply as would have if the original eCheque had cleared, so it isn't leaving you any more or less open to anything in that regard. And, if it doesn't qualify for eBay's MBG, it will still qualify for PayPal protection (as long as all eligibility requirements were met when the payment was sent), so again, there's no more or less risk than if the original payment had been successful. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The same thing happened to me this week. Buyer sent an echeque, then cancelled it. You can not open a dispute as payment said pending. I rang ebay, they told me to cancel the purchase, and ebay will put a strike against their account. I have to wait 10 days for the cancellation to occur. That's all you can do! This must be a new thing dodgy buyers are doing, as some sellers may post the item before payment has cleared.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@funkyflamingo* wrote:
The same thing happened to me this week. Buyer sent an echeque, then cancelled it. You can not open a dispute as payment said pending. I rang ebay, they told me to cancel the purchase, and ebay will put a strike against their account. I have to wait 10 days for the cancellation to occur. That's all you can do! This must be a new thing dodgy buyers are doing, as some sellers may post the item before payment has cleared.

This is not the same scenario, the buyer, or their bank, cancelled the echeque then the buyer made the payment again directly through Paypal so they are not scamming anyone. The seller would be completely wrong to cancel the transaction through ebay as the item has been paid for and the correct ebay fees paid by the seller.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply