Some grub stole my entire listing.

cq_tech
Community Member

How's this for a complete and utter grub? I'm selling my camera via auction, ending Sunday (item 141589977631) and I've just noticed that another seller has listed the same camera, but with my images and description, also ending Sunday, but 4 hours earlier. His listing is 261792783888 and there is no doubt that he has stolen my entire listing and simply transposed his details into it, as he even has my camera's unique serial number in his listing!

I've sent him a nasty email and have also reported him to eBay but I'm not expecting anything to be done about it. I just can't believe that anybody would have the cheek to do such a thing. OK, I don't mind if he uses a bit of my descriptive text, but to copy the entire listing, including my images, and put his name on it has really got my back up.

I'm even considering reporting him to the police for possession of stolen goods, as he has my camera's serial number in his listing, and while nothing will come of it, perhaps he'll think twice before doing it again. I feel like creating a throwaway ID and stuffing up his auction on Sunday, except I have a bit more common decency than that (although the more I think about it...).

Typical eBay; attracts nothing but scammers, low-lives and thieves. Who'd bother shopping here any more? I certainly don't.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

That is EXACTLY what she said in her reply to me this morning! She reckons I should be flattered that she used my listing and couldn't understand why I'd be so angry but at least she has since revised her listing quite substantially, although she forgot to remove my camera's serial number from the Item Specifics. Oh, she also said that there's far more important stuff in the world to be worrying about than having somebody use my listing. Un-bloody-believable!
Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Now that she's changed her listing there won't be any comeback from eBay, but I thought you might like to see exactly what she wrote by way of an explanation. It just bugs me that she thinks it's perfectly OK to steal somebody else's intellectual property for her own gain...

Hi There,

I used the sell this item from your page so it pulled over most of the information. I used pictures from the internet which are the same as yours. I don't ebay very often I based my selling on your camera - you should feel complimented not annoyed. I am unsure of your anger but I am happy to change my add. Considering it is the same information on every website I don't see the drama.

Will update now. Hope you sell your items listed ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't know that this is disgusting behaviour considering all else that is going on in the world.

Thanks

Sometimes I wonder what the world is coming to. Never mind, at least she was reasonably pleasant about it, given what I said in my initial message to her, but I believe I had every right to tell her that what she did was a disgusting act which I reported to eBay.
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

and the serial number?   did she remember to change that too?

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

No, she forgot to do that. Wonder what the winner will say when the serial numbers don't match? ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

It just bugs me that she thinks it's perfectly OK to steal somebody else's intellectual property for her own gain...

There's no "nice" way for me to say this, so I'm just going to be blunt...

Then why did you? Sorry, but most of the content and images in your listing are someone else's intellectual property. 

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
That is EXACTLY what she said in her reply to me this morning! She reckons I should be flattered that she used my listing and couldn't understand why I'd be so angry but at least she has since revised her listing quite substantially, although she forgot to remove my camera's serial number from the Item Specifics. Oh, she also said that there's far more important stuff in the world to be worrying about than having somebody use my listing. Un-bloody-believable!

Many people just don't get it, they think if it appears online it is a free for all.

Plenty of good bedtime reading in the "Find an Answer' section on the Australian Copyright Council website

http://www.copyright.org.au/find-an-answer/

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

I was just reading this thread and checked - her listing has ended now !

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

Now that she's changed her listing there won't be any comeback from eBay, but I thought you might like to see exactly what she wrote by way of an explanation. It just bugs me that she thinks it's perfectly OK to steal somebody else's intellectual property for her own gain...

Hi There,

I used the sell this item from your page so it pulled over most of the information. I used pictures from the internet which are the same as yours. I don't ebay very often I based my selling on your camera - you should feel complimented not annoyed. I am unsure of your anger but I am happy to change my add. Considering it is the same information on every website I don't see the drama.

Will update now. Hope you sell your items listed ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't know that this is disgusting behaviour considering all else that is going on in the world.

Thanks

Sometimes I wonder what the world is coming to. Never mind, at least she was reasonably pleasant about it, given what I said in my initial message to her, but I believe I had every right to tell her that what she did was a disgusting act which I reported to eBay.

I'm surprised after that reply that she didn't throw in a phrase that makes me vibrate with anger......."first world problem". I get so annoyed when people have to throw that into a comment. It seems that people in first world countries can't be annoyed or upset about anything because there are starving people in the world.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Judging by her reply she may not be aware of the rules.

If there is a choice between a conspiracy and a stuff-up always go for the stuff-up.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Good to see the low-life's listing has gone CQ, I'd love to know if it was an eBay slap (doubt it) or a case of the seller doing the right thing (somehow doubt that too), guilt thing (more likely)

Hmmm, maybe the Treb shot was on target..............can't quite see from here in WA..............telescope1.gif

sheeps love that phrase "vibrate with anger"..................hi5.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 20 of 23
Latest reply