Some grub stole my entire listing.

cq_tech
Community Member

How's this for a complete and utter grub? I'm selling my camera via auction, ending Sunday (item 141589977631) and I've just noticed that another seller has listed the same camera, but with my images and description, also ending Sunday, but 4 hours earlier. His listing is 261792783888 and there is no doubt that he has stolen my entire listing and simply transposed his details into it, as he even has my camera's unique serial number in his listing!

I've sent him a nasty email and have also reported him to eBay but I'm not expecting anything to be done about it. I just can't believe that anybody would have the cheek to do such a thing. OK, I don't mind if he uses a bit of my descriptive text, but to copy the entire listing, including my images, and put his name on it has really got my back up.

I'm even considering reporting him to the police for possession of stolen goods, as he has my camera's serial number in his listing, and while nothing will come of it, perhaps he'll think twice before doing it again. I feel like creating a throwaway ID and stuffing up his auction on Sunday, except I have a bit more common decency than that (although the more I think about it...).

Typical eBay; attracts nothing but scammers, low-lives and thieves. Who'd bother shopping here any more? I certainly don't.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@digital*ghost wrote:

@cq_tech wrote:

It just bugs me that she thinks it's perfectly OK to steal somebody else's intellectual property for her own gain...

There's no "nice" way for me to say this, so I'm just going to be blunt...

Then why did you? Sorry, but most of the content and images in your listing are someone else's intellectual property. 

Agreed, but I wasn't complaining about those parts of my listing which had come from ebay's own database. She is just as entitled as I am to use those details any way she wishes. What she's NOT entitled to do is to plagiarise the Item Details nor a goodly proportion of the description which I wrote myself. That was how I knew she'd stolen my listing, and she admitted as much in her email to me, where she said that she used the "sell this item" link on my listing, which copied everything into hers, including my own camera's serial number amongst other unique specifics.

The funny thing is that when she revised her listing, she removed the public domain details yet left most of my own personal details but altered some of the text so it was no longer exactly the same as mine.

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

@mbselections00 wrote:

I was just reading this thread and checked - her listing has ended now !

Somebody bought it at the BIN price, which suits me fine as that's one less item with which I have to compete.

Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

Agreed, but I wasn't complaining about those parts of my listing which had come from ebay's own database. 

I wasn't talking about the content from eBay's database.

I was talking about the other stuff (text and images in the description area), that (near as I can tell) came from a site which has this in their T&C's:

All content included in or made available through any [A****n] Service, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads, and data compilations is the property of A****n or its content suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content included in or made available through any A****n Service is the exclusive property of A****n and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply