Spot The Buyers Own Contradictions

Lol... Good try but not very bright !?!?!? - 12th April 5.22pm Buyer purchases item $160.60 + Postage - 13th April 9.40am - Item Posted & Tracking Number uploaded to his Purchase History via Click & Send - 21st April - Message from Buyer - "Hi there Mate. Just wondering what the latest is. Item not received & Tracking Number is incorrect" - Checked Tracking Number on AP Tracking Site - Shows Delivered on 19th April @ 1.19pm - Messaged Buyer "Hi nnnn, Not sure what is going on but I just checked AP Tracking Site & it shows Item delivered @ SIGNED FOR (little white lie on my behalf) to nnnnn Street, nnnnnn town, @ 1.19pm on 19th April. The Tracking No. is correct - Let me know if you think the Mail has been interfered with & I'll launch a Formal Enquiry with AP & the Police" - Message from Buyer - "Thanks but I've just spoken to Aust. Post who gave the same information (thought the Tracking No. was showing as incorrect - AND he managed to talk to them after they have closed for the day - WOW!!) - Next Message from Buyer - "No need to worry - They have found it" Seems the threat of launching a "Formal Enquiry" with Aust. Post & the Police plus my little white lie about it being signed for made him decide not to try for the Freebie....
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Spot The Buyers Own Contradictions

Is the buyer in your list of following? Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I'm pretty much speechless.  How disgraceful !  What a cheek !  Some people have hides thicker than rhinoceros's.

I would be reporting them to eBay and sending copies of all the messages - I dare say eBay won't do a damn thing, but I wouldn't be able to contain myself with such a liar !

Would be very interested to know who this charming person is - I don't suppose you'e Following them by any chance ?  Smiley Wink

Edit  :  I type too slowly,  kopes beat me to it Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Great minds MB. Smiley Happy

Arlotts, I'm a little surprised given the nature of your items.

I have always thought members of your fraternity to be gentlemen.

Always a few I guess.

image host
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

be great to see his face when he has the 'lightbulb' moment...'hey, i didnt have to sign for it!'...DOH!

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

@arlottstreetstation wrote:
@Lol... Good try but not very bright !?!?!? - 12th April 5.22pm Buyer purchases item $160.60 + Postage - 13th April 9.40am - Item Posted & Tracking Number uploaded to his Purchase History via Click & Send - 21st April - Message from Buyer - "Hi there Mate. Just wondering what the latest is. Item not received & Tracking Number is incorrect" - Checked Tracking Number on AP Tracking Site - Shows Delivered on 19th April @ 1.19pm - Messaged Buyer "Hi nnnn, Not sure what is going on but I just checked AP Tracking Site & it shows Item delivered @ SIGNED FOR (little white lie on my behalf) to nnnnn Street, nnnnnn town, @ 1.19pm on 19th April. The Tracking No. is correct - Let me know if you think the Mail has been interfered with & I'll launch a Formal Enquiry with AP & the Police" - Message from Buyer - "Thanks but I've just spoken to Aust. Post who gave the same information (thought the Tracking No. was showing as incorrect - AND he managed to talk to them after they have closed for the day - WOW!!) - Next Message from Buyer - "No need to worry - They have found it" Seems the threat of launching a "Formal Enquiry" with Aust. Post & the Police plus my little white lie about it being signed for made him decide not to try for the Freebie....

They could have been trying it on.... 

But, just to play devil's advocate (based purely on the info provided, there may be more than cinches it one way or another obviously) - the tracking number being incorrect, may have just meant they couldn't get any results for it, for any number of reasons (C&S numbers won't always show real-time updates directly on eBay or change the status), they may have also copied it incorrectly when they tried it on the site and (as is a habit of some buyers) thought there was a problem eslewhere other than with what they were doing.

If they called AP support they would have read out the number and perhaps got it right that time (it doesn't say what time the buyer's message came through where they mention speaking to AP, and phone support is available 8am to 6pm Australia wide, i.e. still available at 6pm in Perth when it's 7pm elsewhere, so they have longer hours than the post offices).

It is not unheard of for a 'delivered' status to be false, or for packages to be delivered to an incorrect address.  I'm not actually saying it's more likely your buyer was telling the truth, just that it's at least feasible.

But, all that being said, if it was me and a seller told me the package said signed for, but I definitely hadn't received it, I would have taken issue on that point, because I would know if I've signed for a package and I think I'd start to panic because it would seem like a $160 order was delivered to someone else. 

The best one I ever heard was a buyer claiming an item wasn't received (this was before the days most parcels had tracking), and after a little back and forth between buyer and seller, the seller agreed to refund, at which point the buyer responded with the usual thanks etc, then said "just one other thing, my phone number was on the package - how did you get my phone number?" 

Totally busted Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Glad it worked out for you, but what if the buyer had said prove I signed for it? And wasn't trying it on, but honest?

Showing as delivered was true, as would being able to get a formal investigation rolling.

Wondering where a challenge to your bluff might have lead.

If the buyer had negged saying never signed for it, for example, would eBay have removed it?

Could have been an uncomfortable outcome.

Seen a few threads where buyers have tried it on, and sellers have been (understandably so) firm in their reply, but...best to be truthful too. Not personal, I'd just be worried where it could end up if the buyer was going to pick up on it.

I'd know if I'd signed for something or not...and if I wasn't trying it on (which I wouldn't be) I'd be pretty annoyed by that.

I have had parcels marked as delivered that did require a postal investigation as they went somewhere else.

Digi- beat me to it as I tried to word it ok ๐Ÿ™‚

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@arlottstreetstation wrote:
Lol... Good try but not very bright !?!?!? ...............Seems the threat of launching a "Formal Enquiry" with Aust. Post & the Police plus my little white lie about it being signed for made him decide not to try for the Freebie....

They could have been trying it on.... ............

But, just to play devil's advocate (based purely on the info provided..............................

It is not unheard of for a 'delivered' status to be false, or for packages to be delivered to an incorrect address.  I'm not actually saying it's more likely your buyer was telling the truth, just that it's at least feasible.................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a story along the lines of digital*ghost's comments: The one and only "not delivered" enquiry I have ever had was from a buyer who emailed me about 7.30am one morning along the lines of "Mate, who delivers at 1.30am.  Where's my parcel?".  Being an amateur detective from way back my instant thought was "check the tracking" - and it did indeed indicate that the parcel was delivered at 1.30am that morning.  To cut a longer story short the buyer received the parcel either that day or the next...can't remember now.  Point being that maybe Aust Post sometimes scan incorrect tracking events....maybe they imput a wrong code for a particular event such as for 'delivered' rather than 'in transit' etc........maybe the buyer not telling porkies.  Just maybe......

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I get what you're saying but the message was after 6pm & he is in N.S.W.
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

"But, all that being said, if it was me and a seller told me the package said signed for, but I definitely hadn't received it, I would have taken issue on that point, because I would know if I've signed for a package and I think I'd start to panic because it would seem like a $160 order was delivered to someone else." EXACTLY!!! And that's my point.... Why didn't he question that ?????
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply