Stupid offers.

Why do some buyers on Ebay send ridiculous low offers that are never going to be accepted.

You wouldn't go to a retail store and offer them a third of their advertised price and expect a positive outcome, so why on Ebay?

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Stupid offers.

Why do you allow buyers to make silly offers? When I use Best Offer I use the auto refuse or accept function so never know if a low offer has been made.

There is actually a seller in the US who I used to buy from who regularly accepted offers that were less than half the full price.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

Set the auto decline for any price less than you are interested in and then you do not even know if an offer was submitted thus relieving you of your concern for low offers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

everybody is different  some sellers will only give 1% off some 20%   some might say they have had the article for a whie and give you 80% off.

Message 4 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

@thewishingmagic wrote:

Why do some buyers on Ebay send ridiculous low offers that are never going to be accepted.

You wouldn't go to a retail store and offer them a third of their advertised price and expect a positive outcome, so why on Ebay?

Because they don't have to look anyone in the eye (nor have anyone look back at them) when they do it, and there's always that 'just in case' thought, I suspect. Someone posted years ago that they decided to accepted a $1 offer on a much more expensive item just to see what would happen, and the buyer turned around and said they didn't actually want it... o_O 

There are some special people out there who will do that at a retail store - I saw some dude try to bargain with the guy in Coles deli department, once, trying to get a discount if they bought all the prawns they had out on display. 

Message 5 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

totally agree re stupid offers - but this topic has been on the threads before and made me realise what the others are saying, take the time to write in what you wouldn't accept. 

on the previous thread someone actually mentioned there was kinda an unwritten rule as in its insulting to ask for more than was it 10% discount? or more?  I can't remember....can anyone ...?

Message 6 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

@digital*ghost wrote:

There are some special people out there who will do that at a retail store - I saw some dude try to bargain with the guy in Coles deli department, once, trying to get a discount if they bought all the prawns they had out on display. 

Was the deli guy's response "Don't come the raw prawn with me mate" by any chance Digi ???????

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

I totally agree, this is a continuing problem.

On all my items, I have not one 'Make an Offer" lot listed.

Yet, emails come in virtually every day with the most crazy, low, less than I paid for it "offers" on material I have already priced at rock bottom most of the time.

How does one respond?

Do you:

A) Ignore and Delete and thus look to be a rude seller who doesn't reply.

B) Respond, pointing out that the costs of selling by the eBay/Paypal/Free Postage/GST Registered business model involves high fees and that they are taken into account when setting the price.

Niether approach seems very promising.

Message 8 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

@padi*0409 wrote:

Was the deli guy's response "Don't come the raw prawn with me mate" by any chance Digi ???????

No, but he might have wished he did after Smiley LOL - he actually just said "we aren't a cash n' carry, mate, our prices aren't negotiable".

I have a confession to make.... The "dude" in question was my BF at the time.... He was the kind of guy that would buy anything if it was cheap, and try to get anything else at a discount as well. One time he bought a box of denture cleaners because they were marked down, and when I asked why, he said "might come in handy one day". It was then I knew, I didn't want to be there for that day. Smiley Embarassed

Message 9 of 66
Latest reply

Stupid offers.

@digital*ghost wrote:

@thewishingmagic wrote:

Because they don't have to look anyone in the eye (nor have anyone look back at them) when they do it, and there's always that 'just in case' thought, I suspect. Someone posted years ago that they decided to accepted a $1 offer on a much more expensive item just to see what would happen, and the buyer turned around and said they didn't actually want it... o_O 

Hi dg !

Funny you should mention Coles !

I regularly bargain with our local Coles manager & have a fair degree of success.....mind you this is a small town & we do spend about $100k per year there. However I do the same with any b & m store no matter how big or small......40% off is quite common.

Message 10 of 66
Latest reply