Suing Ebay Australia for freezing my funds due to a seamingly endless beauracracy limbo

I sold a Laptop for $1000 on Ebay. The buyer then complained the laptop was not good and wanted to refund back the purchase. My Paypal funds were frozen for this.

The buyer than sent the item back to me (I had to purchase the shipping labels)

Later, the buyer said he changed his mind and wanted the laptop back. He purchased the shipping labels and asked me to send the laptop back to him.

I sent the laptop back to the buyer.

It's been almost a month since the buyer received the item and until now my Paypal funds are still frozen. I can't get the money out.

I have contacted Ebay via chat but unfortunately they are unable to do anything other than wait.

I'm am now thinking of taking legal action in small claims court in Western Australia since Ebay is a registered business entity in Australia.

Question:

1) Have anyone experienced similar situation?

2) Have anyone successfully sued ebay on this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Suing Ebay Australia for freezing my funds due to a seamingly endless beauracracy limbo

Did the nuyer send the Laptop back through a not as described case?

With the buyer supplying a label I guess you would not have tracking to show that you sent the Laptop a second time.

The way you handled this was destined to end in tears.

I have not experienced this... perhaps others who also hanled things incorrectly may have experienced this.

I am unable to say if "if anyone successfully sued ebay on this"... after all "this" is your issue and not somebody else's.

I wish you good luck.

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

1. No. I'm not silly enough to let a problem buyer have a second bite of the cherry.

2. I think you would have to provide compelling evidence in order to successfully sue.

What was the final status of the case?

What does the tracking show?

Have you uploaded the tracking to eBay at all?

Presumably the case would have been closed long before the laptop was returned to you, so I can't understand why the funds are showing as frozen, rather than having been refunded to the buyer.

eBay is registered in NSW and subject to NSW law, which might also have a bearing.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Thank for the wishes. I do have the tracking details to proof the buyer did receive his item back.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

I have all the evidence. Buyer has received the item based on Australia Post Tracking.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

@azrinsani81 wrote:

Thank for the wishes. I do have the tracking details to proof the buyer did receive his item back.

I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

That tracking is from a label the buyer provided... I don't think it will fly with eBay or PayPal as there is no transaction to link it to.

Like davewill said there is no way I would have sent the item back.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Somehow I think you will be wasting your time, as the freezing of funds is standard practice when a dispute is raised.  When the buyer changed their mind, after sending the item back to you, was it through the dispute and did ebay advise you to resend the item, or did the buyer simply send you a postage label, in which case it would seam you have sent them an item that they have no longer paid for.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

I contacted Ebay and Ebay asked me to send back the item as they read my exchanged messages with the buyer. This was all in the Chat Transcripts.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

@azrinsani81 wrote:

I contacted Ebay and Ebay asked me to send back the item as they read my exchanged messages with the buyer. This was all in the Chat Transcripts.

But was it within the dispute.  Not  CS chat

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

No it's not in the dispute. The dispute dont have a double return scenario. It was all recorded in Chat

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply