They walk among us. And buy stuff from us. And automatically blame us if it goes pear-shaped...

OK, so not everyone's a genius, but jeez...

Currently going through a crop of **bleep** matters, which I though I'd share.

1) Chappie calls me at work yest'dy arvo. He's bought an item, we've sent him the wrong one. I ask him for the part number, which he doesn't know. It's on the packaging, and on the invoice. When he finally gives me the number, I check it against his purchase... and find that we sent him exactly what he's ordered. There are two types of this particular item - he's bought Type A when he actually wanted / needed Type B.

He's adamant that he purchased Type B - which is quite impossible, because we don't actually have Type B listed, and haven't for some months. I point out that the listing clearly specifies that the item won't suit his purpose, to which he responds that he didn't buy that one at all, only clicked "Buy It Now" to check that the item location was correct and not a scam as he's been scammed several times before on Ebay, went back and clicked "Buy It Now" on Type B, and that "there's something wrong with your site"...

Happily, we have a sample of Type B on the shelf, so he's coming in on Friday to do an exchange.

2) Customer buys an item. We pack and post it the same day, and a day later get a message stating that they've bought the wrong one, and would like the other, will pay the difference. Again, we don't list "the other", as it's been out of stock for some months. I explain that the item's already been sent, but that we'll happily refund them once it's been returned. I check the tracking a week or so later (we're in Vic, they're in Queensland), and see that it's been delivered, and figure that it'll arrive back here in a week or so.

Tuesday, the buyer opens an Item Not Received case. I re-check the tracking, which hasn't changed, and respond with the tracking number and that tracking shows it was delivered a full two weeks ago. Buyer insists that the item never arrived - wasn't safe-dropped, they weren't carded, and no-one in the household signed for it. I ring Australia Post - they explain that showing "Delivered" means the item either went in the letter-box or was handed over at the door. He tells me to get the buyer to open a delivery dispute and gives me a reference number, which I've passed on to the buyer. I also suggested that the postie may have mistaken the "7" on the parcel's address for a "1" (we've had similar before), and that maybe she could check with the folks at number 1 and see if it landed there instead. As the case is still open, I fear it won't end well...

3) Not-terribly-impressed buyer phones. Item he's bought doesn't fit his application (again, there's two types that will fit his application, and they're sigificantly different in appearance, so he clearly needs "the other"). He wants a refund. I explain politely that we didn't sell him the item, so can't refund him. We don't sell the item in question online - we wholesale it to a couple of Ebay sellers, who on-sell it; he's clearly bought it from one of them, and has called us (the manufacturer) because it's our contact details on the McPacakaging. I can't understand why he wouldn't have called the seller whose details are on the invoice, but...

Nup. He won't have it - "I called this exact same number last week, and spoke to someone who told me it'd fit...". No, he didn't. If he had, he'd have spoken to me, and I'd have remembered. This goes on for another minute or two, with him getting more and more aggressive, before I get fed up and lay it on the line: we've never sold the item on Ebay. Ever. Go through our sales history. We're not allowed to, because of supplier agreements with a couple of major retail outlets we supply it to. He didn't buy it from us. Just didn't.

He fires back with "Isn't this Fred Nurk pty ltd?", at which point I give him the bad news - no. We're the manufacturer, whose name I gave when I answered his call. We sold it to Fred Nurk, who on-sold it to him. There's a pause, then he says "Well, then your application listing is incorrect!!". 

Mind you, last month was the best we've ever had on Ebay, close to 25% better than our previous best month three years ago, so the successrate is still pretty good!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

They walk among us. And buy stuff from us. And automatically blame us if it goes pear-shaped...

Increase in business = increase in noobs. (Prob still a small percent though)

Case 1 - Sounds like it's going to be sorted.

Case 2 - Delivery shown online so you should win case. (Lucky they didn't open for INAD)

Case 3 - Gotta laugh. Smiley Wink

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Increase in business = increase in noobs. (Prob still a small percent though)

Case 1 - Sounds like it's going to be sorted.

Case 2 - Delivery shown online so you should win case. (Lucky they didn't open for INAD)

Case 3 - Gotta laugh. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Customers...they're geniuses at finding ways to be stupid.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry, but I am so glad it is not just Me.

Had one the other day who bid and won an auction.  Then They message that they did not bid winning amount, after being told that the winning bid was the starting price, so it was impossible to bid any less,  they then accused me of somehow using their account to bid on my own item (why Me), They then followed up with threats of Neg FB and report to ebay.  Anyway sale has been cancelled, they have been reported to ebay and blocked from any further interaction.  Not holding my breath waiting for ebay to do anything.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I spotted negative feedback on a seller recently. The seller replied "Sorry, you didn't buy that from us". The buyer had given feedback on the wrong transaction to the wrong seller.

(I must remember that same reply, quite clever if it was true or not).
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Update:

1) has been resolved - buyer came in and did the swap. 2) has also been resolved - buyer lodged an INR case, and Ebay immediately ruled in my favour based on tracking showing the item as delivered.

But now, there's another...

Buyer with minimal literacy skills, messages are in "all caps", etc. Very persistant about an item's fitment, despite it being clearly spelled out in the listing (and via several off-Ebay messages). They buy, I send.

And naturally, they don't get the item. Tracking shows it was delivered on May 20th. I told them that when they messaged me on Monday, and gave them the tracking number (which is also on the sales record, for the inevitable INR case).

But, another all caps message an hour or so back, asking where the item is. I replied politely that the tracking shows it was delivered to their nominated PO box on May 20th, and that they need to go to the post office and ask.

Sorely tempted to just get rid of them once and for all by sending a replacement item via Registered Post, requiring a signature, or just biting the bullet and refunding them...

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

Sorely tempted to just get rid of them once and for all by sending a replacement item via Registered Post, requiring a signature, or just biting the bullet and refunding them...

SOD items will often just be placed into the PO box for collection without requiring the recipient to go into the shop and sign over the counter, especially now - it's primary use (maybe JMHO) just in terms of sending and receiving, is to prevent safedropping on items, which can put the package at risk.

PO boxes are one of the safest ways to receive packages, though it's certainly not impossible for mistakes to be made (I receive mail intended for other PO boxes on occasion), but if you have proof of postage & delivery, the onus really is now on the buyer to chase it up with Australia Post, though you can also open an inquiry. 

If they open an INR case, you'll win, if they leave a neg, you have a very good chance of getting it removed (that chance increases to 100% if they open then lose a case). 

I know there's a bit of a mental health component to some of these decisions (as in, maintining your own - some people are impossible to reason with and can be really draining to try), but with this one since they are asking the same question, my response would be - I can't tell you where it is, the only information I have is its last known whereabouts when it was scanned as delivered, so I'll begin an investigation with Australia Post, they will look for it for you. If you have further information to provide that will help the investigation, please contact Australia Post and give them this case number XXXXX

After that, if they keep sending the same message, you can keep copy / pasting the same message back. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

James Veitch would probably say to "find the game" in the situation.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply