Tips on how to save on postage costs

I'm sure this has been answered many times.

We know the cost to send a standard letter is 60c at australia post and up to $2 for larger, thicker, heavier letters. But what if we were to send flat thin items such as DVDs inside a padded bag? Will this count as a parcel and cost us $6.95? Has anyone got away with attaching a $2 stamp?

Also, what are your tips on saving when it comes to sending larger heavier items that weigh >5kg? I dont want to use Australia Post as it is extremely expensive!

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

The large letter rate applies to anything under 2 cms thick x  26 x 36cms. Ask at your PO for a letter gauge. It's very helpful for knowing what will go as small and large letters.

Under 125gms I think is $1.20 and 125-250gms is $1.80

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

You can save money by using the large letter rate. I post many books in a4 flat packs for several reasons.
1 It is easy and fast to pack them
2 It protects the corners of the books.
3 it is cheaper to post that way.
4 The posty will not normally bend the item.
5 it is easy to put do not safe drop on them so it can be sure that they do not get safe dropped (which is actually not safe delivery)

The negatives are
That it is difficult to get tracking so may cost $2.95 extra for tracking.
Needs to have do not safe drop stickers added so the posty does not leave them on the doorstep.

I posted a standard book yesterday for $8.50 with tracking, signature on delivery and do not safe drop stickers. That is less than it would have been for registered post, safe delivery and signature via parcel rates.
Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

For items that are more than what can be sent at letter rates (up to $3 for the largest), I use Click and send Flat Rate satchels and boxes.

The boxes will take up to 15kg and are the same rate regardless of where in Australia they get sent.

Click and send lets you uise 3 sized boxes Bx1 , Bx2 and Bx4

I am pretty sure these are the current p[rices

Bx1 = $6.95

Bx2 = $11.70

Bx4 = $15.95

You just have to have a box with the dimensions, you don't have to use ones bought from Aust Post.

I use padded bags or 16mm cardboard "envelopes" (or plain envelopes) for letters, anything that is under 20mm including packaging and content and the other dimensions stated above. The largest one costs $3

Postage for letters goes 60c, $1.20. $1.80, $2.40 and $3.00 depends on size and weight

I think it is cheaper if you use prepaid envelopes, I know some of the booksellers buy C5 envelopes prepaid post for $1.40 each (which would normally cost $1.80 in stamps)

I would recommend that you don't guess postage prices, that could lead to unnecessary trouble.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

@iherbal2012 wrote:

what if we were to send flat thin items such as DVDs inside a padded bag? Will this count as a parcel and cost us $6.95? Has anyone got away with attaching a $2 stamp?

I posted heaps of DVDs that way - to keep it under 2cm thick and ensure the safety of discs, I put bubble wrap on the inside of cases (when they weren't sealed).

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

I post Cd's in paper sleeves with a single page of paper. These are in a Size PB2 padded bag. These are $44 per box of 100 at Post Office.

In Australia this is a large letter and the cost is $1.20 for up to 125gm.

Overseas (Europe, USA, Canada, Great Britain) this is a letter and it is $2.60 for up to 50 gms $6.45 for 51 to 250gms.

New Zealand and Asia are slightly cheaper.

2 CD's  without covering page are just on 50gms. CD's require a customs form to be filled in.

Best wishes

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

I see a majority of people are sending DVDs/books as large letters. I was a bit concerned when I looked on the AP website and it said letters 'must contain flexible items' and no 'stiff objects'. So they are not too firm on this?

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/domestic-letters.html

@crikey*mate wrote:

For items that are more than what can be sent at letter rates (up to $3 for the largest), I use Click and send Flat Rate satchels and boxes.

The boxes will take up to 15kg and are the same rate regardless of where in Australia they get sent.

Bx1 = $6.95

Bx2 = $11.70

Bx4 = $15.95

You just have to have a box with the dimensions, you don't have to use ones bought from Aust Post.

I use padded bags or 16mm cardboard "envelopes" (or plain envelopes) for letters, anything that is under 20mm including packaging and content and the other dimensions stated above. The largest one costs $3

Postage for letters goes 60c, $1.20. $1.80, $2.40 and $3.00 depends on size and weight

I think it is cheaper if you use prepaid envelopes, I know some of the booksellers buy C5 envelopes prepaid post for $1.40 each (which would normally cost $1.80 in stamps)

I would recommend that you don't guess postage prices, that could lead to unnecessary trouble.

Didnt know you can use your own box. Will definitely try that next time.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

they need to be the same measurements.

I did do it once, I didn't realize it was the measurements that mattered - used one of those cardboard file storage boxes, processed it as Bx4.

It was only 6kg, so the post office said she would let it through but told me to be more careful next time.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Yes, like many things in life, the measurements are important 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

Bx1 = $6.95

Bx2 = $11.70

Bx4 = $15.95

The Australia Post site says you do have to use their boxes:  

Terms & conditions

This offer is limited to Australia Post mailing boxes in the sizes Bx1, Bx2, and Bx4. Australia Post Flat-Rate mailing boxes are to be used in accordance with Australia Post's terms and conditions.   

The postage cost is:  

Bx1 = $7.15

Bx2 = $11.70

Bx4 = $15.05

This offer is limited to Australia Post mailing boxes in the sizes Bx1, Bx2, and Bx4.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/australiapoststore/pages/australia-post-store-boxes

• Incorrectly labeled boxes, items packed in the wrong sized box, or items packed in a non-Australia Post mailing box may not be processed in an Australia Post retail outlet.

The cost to buy one box at the Post Office is:

Bx1 –  $1,75
Bx2 -   $2.35
Bx4 -   $3.35

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply