Tips on how to save on postage costs

I'm sure this has been answered many times.

We know the cost to send a standard letter is 60c at australia post and up to $2 for larger, thicker, heavier letters. But what if we were to send flat thin items such as DVDs inside a padded bag? Will this count as a parcel and cost us $6.95? Has anyone got away with attaching a $2 stamp?

Also, what are your tips on saving when it comes to sending larger heavier items that weigh >5kg? I dont want to use Australia Post as it is extremely expensive!

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@joz15au wrote:
If I received an open book I'd be giving a negative for bad packaging even if it wasn't damaged, and I've probably given maybe 2 negs at the most in nearly 20 years of buying on eBay. Not on.

I agree, it's not something I really recommend or even think is great only in the minority of situations. The books I sell are clearly old, for starters with little collectable value, buyers know this, they know the item is open and they are buying it to read the book. 

It's a shame that so many novels do not fit in the letter rate category, otherwise this would be a booming business and there is nothing better than knowledge. Imagine if ALL novels were $7 including free postage. On that note I'd love to know how the UK sellers are selling books for this price. 

Message 31 of 33
Latest reply

@moov-auction wrote:

Honestly, books that are fiction and old only sell for under $12, this means after expenses and regular postage fees, books mean an overall loss. However, this changes for a $3-$4 profit when sent open. I am worried books will damage this way, but the low price of item means I am okay with consequences and happy to refund. I only send a handfull of books this way a year. 

@joz15au wrote:
If I received an open book I'd be giving a negative for bad packaging even if it wasn't damaged, and I've probably given maybe 2 negs at the most in nearly 20 years of buying on eBay. Not on.

Honestly, don't try to compete with UK dropshippers.

I sell old books, and if they are thicker than 2cm, they go as parcels. Which means $14 minimum.

I don't compete to be the cheapest, but I still sell things. 900+ so far this year.

And prepaid envelopes are still cheaper for anything over 125g, which is nearly everything under 2cm.

Message 32 of 33
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@moov-auction wrote:

Honestly, books that are fiction and old only sell for under $12, this means after expenses and regular postage fees, books mean an overall loss. However, this changes for a $3-$4 profit when sent open. I am worried books will damage this way, but the low price of item means I am okay with consequences and happy to refund. I only send a handfull of books this way a year. 

@joz15au wrote:

Honestly, don't try to compete with UK dropshippers.

I sell old books, and if they are thicker than 2cm, they go as parcels. Which means $14 minimum.

I don't compete to be the cheapest, but I still sell things. 900+ so far this year.

And prepaid envelopes are still cheaper for anything over 125g, which is nearly everything under 2cm.

Quite alot of books are under 2 cm. and weigh between 125 grams and 300 grams (short novels, and children's books). I'm assuming $14 is for larger, heavier books or bulk lots. 

Yep, I use to compete to be the cheapest, but recently put the price up to deter sales - will eventually strike a balance. Obviously, demand is important. I ended up with a lot of books that weren't that popular but decided to list anyway and are still selling quite well for between 6-12 incl. post. If i increased the price to 12-24 then sales would drastically decline. 

Message 33 of 33
Latest reply