Unpaid item policy - negative feedback

This may seem like a newbie question considering I've been here around 20 years, but I have so little problem with this sort of thing, I can't remember the last time I had to go through this process, or what rules may have changed since then.

I sold an item at auction last week. The winner had 1 feedback, and hadn't paid or contacted me after 4 days. I sent him a message asking if there was a problem (I don't jump immediately to UIP because sometimes there is a valid reason). That was three days ago, though and no reply.

So I'm thinking of starting an unpaid item case - mostly because I'd like to be able to re-list it or offer it to the underbidder.

The only time I've ever received negative feedback was from a non-paying bidder with 0 feedback, so I'm a bit leery of this.  Ebay's policy states

"We'll remove Feedback for you in cases where a buyer didn't pay or respond to the unpaid item process, or who has been suspended"

So what if they do respond to the unpaid item process, but neg me anyway out of spite? The wording seems to imply that ebay wouldn't fo anything in that case - or am I over-thinking it?

You know, it's kinda pathetic that I know I'm going to get a better, less stressful answer here than if I actually ring them up and try to explain my question....

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What I do is: start an unpaid item case, message the buyer & tell them that this will give them another 4 days (gives them the benefit of the doubt) and they'll either pay or they won't.

You will either then have a sale or you get your fees refunded and are able to relist
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

if they neg you, just call eBay & have it removed....quote them their own policy
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As suggested open an unpaid case and message them saying they have an extra 4 days from now to pay.

If they pay and leave a neg, there is a good chance it will mention the case and eBay will remove it.

If they don't pay and you close the case, feedback can't be left by either party.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Do as the others have suggested.

If they don't pay, just remember to block them also.

It may stop they buyer doing the same thing to others if they have 2 or more strikes on their account.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Also remember to set up your buyer preferences to auto-block those with two or more strikes accumulated within a rolling 12 month period. This is the most stringent setting you can set up.

As said above if they leave any bad feedback before you close the UPI case then ebay will remove it for you.

Once you have closed the case neither they nor you can leave any feedback.

If they pay before the case is closed then just processs the order as normal.

If after that they leave you bad feedback it will depend on what it says as to how difficult it will be to get ebay to remove it.

If the wording is clear enough that it's a retaliatory feedback because you opend a UPI case against them, then it should be readily removed. But anything else will be the normal battle to have it removed.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply