Unpaid items

Just wanted to know what others think?

I've had buyers that I had to open unpaid item cases on and with these buyers I have had some trouble with because I open the unpaid item case on them.

Some have tried it on saying the item isn't as described or it was damaged in transit and so on.

What I'm asking is do you think I should just wait until the buyer has eventually paid so hopefully eradicating any false claims or still keep opening cases?

It annoys me because ebay have this policy in place but on the other hand buyers are becoming angry that a case has opened against them.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Unpaid items

@springyzone wrote:

Just a general comment.

I cannot imagine why anyone would 'forget' a purchase, unless they were making dozens of them and overlooked one. And it isn't logical for a buyer to feel angry for an unpaid item claim being opened, but I see the discussion is about should such buyers be given more time. I suppose if the buyer were to be given eg 3 weeks, they could not claim it was not long enough, but by the same token, if I were such a buyer, I can imagine wondering why on earth I had not been sent a reminder before the seller opened the claim.

I know ebay sends out a reminder after 2 days. To me, if a seller opens an unpaid item claim after 4 days, the buyer then can't really claim they weren't sent a reminder.

But the longer the seller leaves it, the more a buyer may expect a second reminder. I know that may not seem logical but I think some people these days do push the boundaries and never accept responsibility for their actions.

All of my items are BIN and available in multiple quantities, so I work from one main assumption with the way I currently handle NPBs and not sending out any reminders myself in the weeks following a purchase - there was no reason to buy and not pay at the same time.

A secondary assumption is that people knew exactly what they were doing when they chose to buy and not pay (i.e. if you're buying lots of different items from different sellers at the same time but not checking out until after, all you have to do is go to My eBay and go through the list to see if there's any you missed), so the underlying assumption to that is people know they bought something and haven't paid for it yet.

If they didn't know, they certainly do when the eBay reminder comes, and if at that point they don't go "oh, shoot, better pay for that now", or at least contact the seller, they are again making a deliberate choice to allow a purchase to go unpaid and not get in touch with the seller about it, so a second reminder seems pretty futile (when people say "sorry, I forgot about this", I pretty much take it the same as "sorry, I've been in hospital since I purchased this" - I don't really care about the excuses, though, as I know people like to do / say something to try and excuse themselves). The UPI is a reminder in and of itself, anyway, as the buyer can still pay for at least 4 days. 

The only time I take a different approach and message buyers is when someone buys multiple times from the same listing but only pays for one of them. It drives me up the wall because a lot of them do it just to change the quantity they've purchased (eg they'll make a purchase for one, decide they want three, then make a new purchase for three and pay for that, never even getting in touch about the other purchase. In some cases the listing will be purchased twice without the buyer realising it. In both these types of cases I will usually spot the multiple purchases and just send a message explaining the situation and asking them if they'd like the extra purchases included in their current order (in which case I'll invoice to adjust for postage already paid), or canceled. 

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Unpaid items

Trust me, it IS possible to forget. What sellers often forget is that buyers don't always have good memories, don't always have a high IQ, and often suffer health problems that affect how clearly they can think. I'm not making excuses for the ones who think buying and not paying is just a game - they're another matter.

I've got immediate payment now, but before that I used to give people well over a week before I'd open a case. I stopped sending polite messages long ago because only once did I ever have someone reply or pay after I opened a case. The other 99% never paid and never replied to messages. I'd say some are too embarrassed and others just don't care.
Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Unpaid items

@glenbankloel wrote:

We have pretty much a set procedure.

Wait 4 days, then send a very polite message.

Wait another 4 days, and start the unpaid procedure on the 9th day. That's it!

Then onto our blocked list.

I agree with your methods glenbankloel but here's my latest curly one...

Buyer makes a purchase, using Bank Transfer in Checkout.

Two days later I ask them to check their account as numbers may be transposed etc and should bounce back into their account.

No response.

Start UID and close case, block buyer and then relist item.

Two weeks later the item is purchased by a different Buyer BUT the name, address etc are the same as the previous Buyer.

No response to emails so today I started another UID pffft

Both Buyer IDs are a couple of years old.

I'm just trying to work out how I can block this person and her multiple IDs??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jo

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

Unpaid items

If they're using different id's to get around blocks, that's a policy violation.

Use ebay's new 'Report an issue with a buyer'

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=3&pos=1&qu...

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Unpaid items

So far we haven't had that issue.

Report them to Ebay as clearly the same person.

But don't send the item, as you will just be asking for bad feedback.

They will use anything they can think of to leave it. So you will probably lose the item and your $'s. Plus the stress is not worth it.

Sorry that you have had this issue, maybe make your items immediate payment or don't accept bank transfers for a while.

Change these functions for a while then re-instate later on. Might deter them.  

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Unpaid items

As said, report the buyer.

The Abusive buyer policy is relativley new, and you should bookmark it so that you have it to hand if there's an issue. It includes the following applicable behaviour:

โUnwelcome and malicious buying: We consider bidding on or buying an item when you have no intention of completing the transaction, or circumventing a seller's buyer requirements, to be unwelcome and malicious buying.โž

The Unwelcome and malicious buying policy (they've got a policy for almost everything!) spoecifically addresses the buyer behaviour that has a blocked buyer trying to circumvent a seller's blocks by trying to purchase that seller's item/s with another ID:

โBuying with the intent to disrupt a listing 

Examples:

• Buyer places a bid that greatly exceeds the value of the item in order to prevent a sale.
  • Buyer bids on multiple items listed by a seller without intent to complete the sale.
  • Buyer attempts to purchase an item after having been placed on a seller's blocked bidder list.โž

There's a specific link to report buyers who bid with the intention of disrupting a seller's listing. - but I've just tried it out, and it doesn't appear to be working. The report a buyer button is probably better to use, as it appears to be working.

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply