Updated Australia Post preparid satchel prices

For those sellers who use the prepaid AusPost red satchels, here is the price list that came into effect on Monday (it's hard to find this info on the AP website, esp for single satchels).

satchel prices.jpg

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Updated Australia Post preparid satchel prices

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

The 500g eBay satchel option is now about 80c less than own packaging since the price rise, so I'd be surprised if they allowed a label that says satchel onto a box! I know there is no price mentioned on the label, but it clearly says 500g satchel. Maybe I could get away with it if I was dropping straight into the box, but I always get a lodgement scan.

Sorry, I should have checked the pricing first - own packaging used to be a discounted rate on eBay for regular 500g parcels, so I presumed they still would be. 

While I am here - My Post Business users, Aus Post has announced new discount pricing structure coming into effect later this month (22nd, I think), where there is higher discounts for parcels to the same city, and slightly higher discounts to interstate metro areas, but no discount to rural areas, regardless of your volume. It is unclear whether it is based purely on the 'to' address, of if you won't qualify for discounts at all if you're posting from a rural area, but I would think-hope it's the former. 

Just got my account with DHL set up, so AP can kiss my international postage revenue goodbye. Smiley Embarassed

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

No

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Something else eBay aren't offering is the discount AP will deliver for local parcels.

I've just checked a local Brisbane 500g label and it's still $7.55 whereas under the new arrangement AP will charge eBay $5.56.

(there's a nice little windfall)

To send to Melbourne it's still $7.55 yet AP would charge eBay $6.93.

I suppose this is to cover all those "rural" parcels ebay will be paying top dollar ($8.55) for?

Bizarrely, if I was a MyPost Business customer I would get no discount t all for a "rural" parcel (any weight).

Yet if I walk into a Post Office and buy 10 x 500g pre-paid I'll get 3.5% off or if  I buy 100 then a huge 12.4% discount.

The Royal Commission could be extended to cover AP given the extent of their recent price rorting.

I should add that these price rises come on the back of a record profit figure just posted (+41% for parcel post).

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

Yet if I walk into a Post Office and buy 10 x 500g pre-paid I'll get 3.5% off or if  I buy 100 then a huge 12.4% discount.

That is an extremely good point. If someone buys 100 satchels, it could take them a couple of years to use them for all AP knows, and they can go anywhere. Yet to access discounts via My Post there has to be minimum volumes in short periods of time, and now discounts exclude specific areas. Sure, the discounts to other areas are higher, but to expect people will just pay full price when AP themselves provide a cheaper alternative to everyone is pretty galling. 

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Digi, there is another sting inherent in the new MyPost T&C's.

Your annual volume must also remain above 240 parcels per year.

So, if you are a seasonal seller you'll have to make up the numbers during peak periods while copping a penalty in slow periods.

Very much a case of heads they win and tails you lose.

Pretty much what you'd expect of a company run by ex-bankers I suppose.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

The 12 month period has always been there which I gather is for those who have seasonal fluctations. Otherwise on an 8 week only cycle you would be going up and down unless you keep a constant number of parcels sent each week.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

The 12 month period has always been there which I gather is for those who have seasonal fluctations. Otherwise on an 8 week only cycle you would be going up and down unless you keep a constant number of parcels sent each week.

But the 8 week cycle overrides the yearly cycle unfortunately so your prices will still rise and fall.

If you add the fact that NO discount will be had for "rural" then you'll just have to wear that cost unless you can figure out eBay's table rates (or trust them to be accurately applied).

It's a shamozzle alright!

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

I have only been using Mypost for 11 months so still to complete the first year but my understanding is if I have a quiet few months my discount will go down but only to what my 12 month total is. 

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

I have only been using Mypost for 11 months so still to complete the first year but my understanding is if I have a quiet few months my discount will go down but only to what my 12 month total is. 

If you can report back in a month with some definitive answers it would be great.

It didn't work out that way for me a year ago but things may have changed since then.

The variation is still there under either set of conditions though; unstable pricing and unpredictable profitability remain constants

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply