Using hyphens in titles

Hi, I sell clothes and I used to list like this for example ...

BRAND NAME Skinny Jeans Size 12 Mid Rise 

Then for some reason I decided to reinvent the wheel and start listing like this... 

BRAND NAME - Mid Rise Skinny Jeans - Size 12

For me this is more eye catching and breaks up the title into easy to distinguish parts. 

My question is, does using the hyphen like I do have any negative effect on the search results, like will it mess up the algorithms etc? I like to use descriptive titles but I don't like to use too many words in the tiltles I just feel like it's too much to read... 

(Sorry this question has lots of grammar errors; I'm in a bit of a rush today LOL)

Any advice? Thanks for your time to comment, Cheers.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Using hyphens in titles

I also think this looks better as it breaks things up a bit. Unfortunately the algorithm will probably see them as minus signs. This could have an impact on whether or not you show in search results.

Might be best to err on the side of caution and avoid confusing the computers that run the world.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Using hyphens in titles

UPDATE I just realized these are called dashes not hyphens, OOOPS

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

I also think this looks better as it breaks things up a bit. Unfortunately the algorithm will probably see them as minus signs. This could have an impact on whether or not you show in search results.

Might be best to err on the side of caution and avoid confusing the computers that run the world.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

Haha yes maybe I better not confuse the computers they are just trying to live their best lives LOL

Thanks for your reply, I never thought to think that they might be confused as minus signs. I also see nobody uses them so probably better to err on the side of caution as you said. 

Have a good day mate, Thanks again

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

I use the tilde rather than the dash

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

Just a question - where is a ' tilde ' - on a normal keyboard.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

The wee squiggly thingy    ~ 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

below esc..

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Using hyphens in titles

To the left of the 1 key