Usual time expected between selling and being paid

cddlb
Community Member

Hello again,  Item sold on Saturday of the long weekend, I sent an invoice- there has been no contact from the seller at all.  My idea/guess is that they are away.

This set me thinking about what is the usual time between a sale and payment.  I am unable to find anything on it within my listings.    I had thought it was an automatic inclusion - like all the info available about postage - is this something I am meant to include in my blurb?  Somethin like "payment expected within three days of purchase'.  

Some of my sellers haave paid even before I am aware of the item selling, making me think the gap in time was s short one.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Usual time expected between selling and being paid

@cddlb wrote:

Not the way I've been using it at all.  I learn so much by coming to this forum - it's wonderful  Thanks

This is what potential bidders will see on your listings if they look at the bids.

Capture.PNG

But as rabbit has said there's no need for "private listings" nowadays since eBay now disguises bidders names anyway.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply

I used to have a line in my listings that stated my terms were 7 days for payment, though you also used to have to wait that long before you could open a UPI. When they shortened it to 4 days, my terms became 5 days, but a year or so ago I decided to remove it completely. I don't know how much of a difference it really made, as all of my items are Buy It Now and most people pay immediately, but basically I figured having a timeframe on it made people more comfortable with buying items and not paying for them sraight away (as in, if you clearly state buyers don't have to pay straight away, then you'll get a few buyers who purchase knowing that, buying specifically with the intention of paying after a certain date - often times those types of buyers are just window shopping,and don't come back to complete the sale). 

Since I removed mention of payment timeframes in my listing, the rate of these kinds of shoppers has dropped, but I couldn't say for sure whether that's due to me taking the phrase out of listings, or something else (eg ebay is much more retail focused than it used to be, and online shoppers are used to having to pay for items immediately - auctions are a little different, of course, since they may not be at the computer when it ends, so it may be more advantageous to have something in listings about payment - I wouldn't state any longer than 5 days, personally, even if prepared to wait longer). 

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

@cddlb wrote:

So why is an option if not actually necessary/required?  

I would say they've left it as an option to give another buffer to privacy (or allow shill bidders a bit more leeway - bear in mind it's all money in the bank for eBay if auction prices get inflated, and anecdotally eBay doesn't come down too hard on shill bidding.  original.gif)

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

If the buyer buys from a seller who doesn't sell very many items you can sometimes work out what they bought by looking at the seller's feedback and matching up the buyer's feedback score to fb left for or by the seller, so there are probably times for it, but I'd say the benefits of having it all public outweigh the disadvantages because of people being so wary about private listings.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

I edited my listings last night and removed the Private Bidder option - interesting to see if it makes a difference.  

Thank you all for your comments as usual very helpful.

Cheers  cddlb

We can end this thread now I think.

Message 21 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

An unpaid item dispute can be opened 4 days after the end time and closed 4 days after that if the "buyer" doesn't pay.

BTW you may be losing bidders once they realise you have "private listings" , many see that as a cover for shill bidding (and some sellers have used it for just that). "Private listings" were originally introduced for items of high value or items of a sensitive nature.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Some of my sellers have paid even before I am aware of the item selling, making me think the gap in time was a short one.

Nope.  Some of us are just fast payers. Smiley Wink

My experience (as a buyer only) is that sellers set their own time frames and specify it in the listing.  Messages vary widely from the polite payment expected within X days, if you intend to place other bids happy to combine purchases, to if you don't pay up you will be blocked and the item relisted, no exceptions.  Mind you, many sellers don't provide any payment details.  

Other's use that automatic nasty reminder option (well I think it is nasty, though I've only struck it once) that eBay has, if the buyer doesn't pay by the 4th day or something.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Thank you for the 4 day info.  As far as I am aware I do not have privagte listings.  I do use the keep buyer private, as you said for more highly priced items.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Ebay allows 4 days for payments so payment can be made within that time frame so there's no point complaining you haven't received payment in a day lol.

But what gets on my nerve is the sellers that demand payment within a day or else really.

The long weekend has nothing to do with it as ebay doesn't recognise weekends or holidays for payments due.

If I didn't receive payment within 7 days I then opened case for payment not received,this was enough time in my opinion.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Yes that's the same as private listings though=private buyers

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

RAY for the fast payers!!!   The item I was using as an example that set this question up in the first place has paid so no worries there.

I'll add it into my listing info from now on so I am coving all bases.  I'll try to remember NOT to use the eBay reminder but contact the buyer myself - my preference anyway. 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

oh!!!

Not the way I've been using it at all.  I learn so much by coming to this forum - it's wonderful  Thanks

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

There's probably no need to try and hide buyer's identities any more because nobody can see their usernames anyway.  

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@cddlb wrote:

This is what potential bidders will see on your listings if they look at the bids.

Capture.PNG

But as rabbit has said there's no need for "private listings" nowadays since eBay now disguises bidders names anyway.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply