Very slow sales last weekend of May

Although we've had a few big orders during the week (that saved the week) sales have been generally very slow for almost a week now. This last weekend was absolutely dead with a total of maybe 5 sales which is virtually unheard of. I think the last time we've had only 5 sales for the weekend was about 2 years ago when we were starting out. Generally speaking - I also noticed that sales during school holidays seem to be subdued but that's been a regular trend now for a few years and there's no school holidays now. Anyone else notice that the last few days are exceptionally slow or is it just us?
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Very slow sales last weekend of May

@flare-tech wrote:
I am v new to ebay.. a month or so since I launched as a seller.. started with a unit a day until the last week when I was averaging 4 units a daytime..and today it's zero!! Is it due to the eBay guaranteed delivery? I'm not on it yet...

It is very unlikely that guaranteed delivery is the source of the slow-down.

It's a fairly new program, very few sellers (all things considered) are participating, and the only way I can truly see it putting a seller at a noticeable disadvantage was if their competitors were mostly offering it (widely enough to cover a good percentage of the Australian customer base) and the items were commonly time sensitive, eg often needed urgently but not available somewhere local. 

I do know of sellers who opted in to guaranteed delivery, and it has not improved their sales at all, so there's that.

I suspect, though, you may have been getting a boost in best match rankings when your listings were newer, so you got a bit of a honeymoon period and things are now settling back down some. The only thing that really helps that is time, work, variety and patience. 

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

@knewdoors wrote:

throw in the news of ebay plus which reading between the lines looks like a doorstep to major retailers..really bugs us how we pay massive fees to help build this platform then ebay goes and supports the big end of town....miserable sales..like always..why bother..

Quite agree doors.

eBay began being an auction site for individuals selling their unwanted things around the house.

Bargains and bidding fun.......................not retailers like we have been able to use at shopping centres.

image host
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I used to purchase things that are no longer available on eBay (or very rarely anymore).

Now, for antiques, I tend to go to other sites, UK-based.

eBay does not have the appeal it once had for me as a buyer, that's certain.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply