Wanting to return as pants don't fit.

jvdv
Community Member

Sold a pair of hiking pants with the size indicated in the listing and also with the waist measurements. A few days later a return request from the buyer saying "The pants don't fit - On there way back to you today".

So what is the situation - if they are returned in the same condition as they were when sold I will accept them but am I obliged to pay the return postage?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

No, They have not followed the ebay return process, so they are not actually entitled to anything,  If the item does arrive back, after a thorough inspection I would give a partiall refund, purchase $ Minus Postage Minus ebay Fees

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

You're not obliged to refund return postage for change of mind returns, BUT if the buyer opens a case for INAD then you'd probably end up having to pay for the return if eBay steps in. In that case you'd get a defect and probably a neg to go with it.

Your choice at the end of the day, but it would probably be less stessful to refund the postage, if the pants come back in original condition and you can resell them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Despite not following the return process, the buyer could still open a case for INAD if they can show by tracking that the OP has recieved the item.

But I agree with deducting eBay fees.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Do not Fit, does not equal INAD,  if the original measurements provided were correct

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

The 2 completed listings only showed the waist measurements, so could be COM or INAD, we all know how eBay will resolve disputes mostly in favour of the buyer.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

If they opened the request selecting 'doesn't fit', then it's a change of mind reason and eBay automatically approves those if you have your listings set to returns accepted.

This should also mean that when they arrive back, the refund due should be for the item price only (they provide an option to include original postage in the refund, but you're under no obligation to). You don't need to pay return postage, either.

eBay will allow partial refunds of the item price if they're returned in damaged condition, but only if the listing was 'free postage'. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

I went through the saga of Doesn't fit return. After not getting the item back for 3 weeks I emailed eBay just to see what my options were and the idiots escalated the return and changed it to SNAD, resulting in me having to refund original postage. When I contacted eBay about they said I was "obliged" to refund original postage. Emails back and forth, phone calls, finally got them to admit I "wasn't obliged" to refund original postage. Now just waiting 10 days for them to credit the postage.

Sometimes, they don't even know their own policies!

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks for the feedback - so using this as an example and given eBay's favour towards the buyer it could be said that anyone who buys a secondhand item could just open a case and return it if they didn't like it, if they just changed their minds or if they just wanted to "try before you buy".

I have found this is happeneing more frqeuently with some buyers being overly particular with the description arguing that the most trivial imperfection had not been listed.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

The 2 completed listings only showed the waist measurements, so could be COM or INAD, we all know how eBay will resolve disputes mostly in favour of the buyer.

Thanks for the feedback - so using this as an example and given eBay's favour towards the buyer it could be said that anyone who buys a secondhand item could just open a case and return it if they didn't like it, if they just changed their minds or if they just wanted to "try before you buy".

I have found this is happeneing more frqeuently with some buyers being overly particular with the description arguing that the most trivial imperfection had not been listed.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply