Warning! if you use eBay prepaid labelling

Anyone who claims the GST on their postage will be paying more if printing out the postage labels in eBay.  Australia Post pricing includes GST.  I claim back 10% of my postage account with Australia Post for the GST component.  Any seller who does a GST return would be stupid to print out the eBay labelling when there is no GST invoice supplied  by eBay thus effectively paying 10% more for postage. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Warning! if you use eBay prepaid labelling

The set up is cumbersome, ill thought through and time wasting - all in all consistent with eBays lack of understanding and ability to implement systems that save sellers TIME !!!
Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I have had a couple of occasions where the label wouldn't print out due to incorrect postcodes. On both occasions the buyer had put the suburb in the second address box and the name of the city in the last box. They had then used the postcode for the suburb. Of course the city and the suburb have different postcodes and that's why the label couldn't be created.

Well that's my experience anyway 🙂

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@painbalm wrote:

Anyone who claims the GST on their postage will be paying more if printing out the postage labels in eBay.  Australia Post pricing includes GST.  I claim back 10% of my postage account with Australia Post for the GST component.  Any seller who does a GST return would be stupid to print out the eBay labelling when there is no GST invoice supplied  by eBay thus effectively paying 10% more for postage. 

I agree that any seller who is registered for GST and who therefore has to complete a business activity statement (BAS)  in order to reclaim input credit from the ATO should not print out postage labels via eBay (as no GST invoice is supplied by eBay). 

I would disagree with your mathematics, howeve. In reclaiming GST input costs  the GST-included postage costs must be divided by 11 (eleven), not by ten (10%) in order to reclaim the correct amount of GST incorporated into the final postage charge.

If you actually claim back 10% rather than one eleventh of the postage account, you should check with your accountant as to whether byou are using the correct calculation.

Re eBay not providing a "GST invoice", this may be because both eBay and PayPal are for taxation purposes domiciled in Zurich, Switzerland, and therefore pay no GST whatsoever to the ATO. It si possible that although one can legitimately claim GST input credits from the ATO when postage is paid directly to Australia Post (which does pay GST), they cannot be legitimately claimed if postage is paid via eBay by printing postage labels in eBay

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

porcelainforyou2 wrote:

wendys_software_site wrote:

I agree that any seller who is registered for GST and who therefore has to complete a business activity statement (BAS)  in order to reclaim input credit from the ATO should not print out postage labels via eBay (as no GST invoice is supplied by eBay). 

tax invoices are available!   see my previous post.  - clumsy and paper-wasting, true - but still available.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Curraone.....,. print one and have a look at the gst compnent......... Zilch nada nikl nothing.....curraone take special note of the ABN that needs to be on the Tax invoice......

Could you quote ebays ABN for me from your printed tax invoice ??????

here's a little help for you

Swallow ebays spin if you like but please don't try and peddle it to me

What is eBay's ABN number?

The rights and services available at www.ebay.com.au are provided by eBay International AG, located at Helvetiastrasse 15/17, CH-3005, Bern , Switzerland . As a foreign entity, eBay International AG is not required to be registered for GST and therefore does not have an ABN number.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Bus/GST-for-small-business/?page=5

Requirements of a tax invoice

Tax invoices you issue or receive must include certain information. The information required differs depending on the price of the sale. Tax invoices for sales of $1,000 or more require more information than tax invoices for sales of less than $1,000.

Sales of less than $1,000

Tax invoices for taxable sales that total less than $1,000 must include enough information to enable the following to be clearly ascertained:

1. that the document is intended as a tax invoice
  2. the seller's identity
  3. the seller's Australian business number (ABN)
  4. the date the tax invoice was issued
  5. a brief description of the items sold, including the quantity (if applicable) and the price of what is sold
  6. the GST amount (if any) payable in relation to the sale - this can be shown separately or, if the GST to be paid is exactly one-eleventh of the total price, as a statement such as ‘Total price includes GST’
  7. the extent that each sale to which the document relates is a taxable sale.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

the post is about the ebay labels postage

so, I printed one as you suggested - the invoice is for Australia Post so of course it has an ABN

Australia Post TAX INVOICE Account Enquiries
ABN: 28 864 970 579 Date of Issue: 28/04/2014 Telephone: 13 POST (13 7678)

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

But aren't we being billed by eBay with the usual fees? If that's the case then how can I legitimately claim the Aust Post invoices since I have never made those payments to AP and I wouldn't be able to match them with any transactions in my bank accounts etc.

Also I would have the monthly single payment to eBay, plus a heaps of single Aust Post invoices. How am I supposed to enter that into my records as that would be doubling up on my expense claims?

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Your monthly seller Invoice has a summary with separate totals for eBay Fees and Postage paid to AusPost (listed as Shipping fees disbursed).

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply