Watermarks & Photos

In September we announced that listings with watermarked images (adding a text, image, logo, border or graffiti on your photos) would be removed from eBay search results from 1 March, 2018. As a follow up, we want to let you know that we will not be enforcing watermark removal as we had originally announced. 

We still strongly recommend you remove all watermarks from your listings. We know that buyers want to see products clearly before they make a purchase, and watermarks can deter people from doing so. Watermarked images can lead to Google and Facebook rejecting these products, meaning less visibility for your listings and decreased conversion. 

Thank you to those who have already removed their watermarks. With the removal, your images will be accepted in Google Shopping search, your products will be featured in our product-based shopping experience, and will be considered for our deals and seasonal promotions. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

Regards,
The eBay team
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Watermarks & Photos

Isn't that the second time they've backed down on that? No wonder sellers wait till the last minute to make changes to conform with new rules!
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

i was relieved when i got this email this morning. some common sense for once. 

the email reads that it was simply a money-grab for ebay - removing watermarks made it more likely for items to sell through google shopping search results and therefore, ebay makes more in FVFs.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

@lm-entertainment wrote:

i was relieved when i got this email this morning. some common sense for once. 

the email reads that it was simply a money-grab for ebay - removing watermarks made it more likely for items to sell through google shopping search results and therefore, ebay makes more in FVFs.

I’m wondering if this was an ill conceived policy that ended up being one that would be too difficult to police rather than common sense prevailing.

I mean, it would be difficult to come up with a bot that could detect every infringing picture, and it would take thousands and thousands of employees to go through listings to find offenders . . . . . . so . . . . . . too hard - let’s not do it after all.

I feel for all those sellers that have been slowly going through their listings as they are relisted just so they comply.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I’m wondering if this was an ill conceived policy that ended up being one that would be too difficult to police rather than common sense prevailing.

I mean, it would be difficult to come up with a bot that could detect every infringing picture, and it would take thousands and thousands of employees to go through listings to find offenders . . . . . . so . . . . . . too hard - let’s not do it after all.

I feel for all those sellers that have been slowly going through their listings as they are relisted just so they comply.

I think the reality hit home that if they pulled watermarked images there would be entire categories with no pics to display.

It certainly would have affected the Chinese sellers most as all they ever seem to do is share around heavilly watermaked pics supplied by their distributors.

The whole approach to pics is quite ad hoc anyway.

For second hand, original images are required, yet the big sellers seem to be able to use generic images or none at all.

(I see this in books all the time)

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

I suspect it's a combination of things - maybe some bigger sellers refused to comply, maybe it's in the too hard basket, or maybe it was never going to be enforced at all (as mentioned above, this is the second time ebay have announced a policy like this, the only difference is that it didn't extend to watermarks last time, so it's the second time ebay have changed their minds). I'm betting the sellers who changed images to comply with policies are less likely to change back to watermarked images, so perhaps they'll announce the policy again next year and retract it again when it's had sufficient time to have the desired effect. (The announcement in the US basically inferred that the policy is being deferred, not withdrawn). 

I don't think it's necessarily a technology issue, because the tech is there though maybe in its infancy in real terms (you only have to look at what Facebook tags uploaded images with to know how sophisticated image recognition software at the very least has the potential to be - it can detect people (and what their facial expressions are, as well as whether the image contains nudity), it recognises specific people, plus specific objects, things like food, outdoor scenery, text, specific animals etc, it's just probably not in ebay's budget to implement here, and differentiating between text on a product box and text added to an image may not be quite within capability as yet). 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

I mark photos and some magazinr cover because these are often copied by people and they dont buy the item...If I cant mark them .I guess I wont be listing them.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

Although a watermark is embedded in a lot of the photo's on our lisitings, we never put them there - EBay did!!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

There's something in your settings where you can choose not to allow ebay's watermarks, probably in site preferences somewhere.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Watermarks & Photos

Watermarking is an effective way to thwart theft of images, and eBay's anti-watermarking policy flies in the face of basic copyright law.

What other protections can eBay offer to the creators of quality product images? If I spend time and money creating appealing quality product images, why should I make them freely available to others to use without acknowledgement? I already see SO MANY of my own product images from an earlier time when I was more naive and didn't watermark being used by other sellers and even on other websites. It galls me, but there is nothing realistically I can do about it.

Surely the rewards of this time and effort to create my own product images belong to me; and likewise to all others who create their own images?

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply