We're inviting sellers to the new managed payments program in stages. We're sorry you can't sign up

Today the 30th of June, I went to register after receiving email from Ebay asking me to do so by July 1st, which is tomorrow. I spent a lot of time prior researching and wondering I I should go ahead and decided I would, so when I go to register, I get this message ' We're inviting sellers to the new managed payments program in stages. We're sorry you can't sign up' - what is going on??? No explanation, just this statement which tells  me nothing at all. I am within the time, why can't I register, does anyone know? Have you also got this message?  There has been so much negative feedback I am really concerned and don't know now if I want to go ahead as I also read they want photo ID, so passport, drivers licence etc..it concerns me greatly that one company would have so much of my personal info, what if they get hacked? And, why? Why do they need this level of info? I am not applying for a bank loan! I am nobody, don't have a business, just a normal person who sells bits and pieces from time to time on Ebay which I enjoyed but now I feel maybe it is coming to and end for me and many others. I won't be giving all this info to anyone, including Ebay. Tell me your opinion please, am I being paranoid or are you feeling the same way also. Cheers all.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We're inviting sellers to the new managed payments program in stages. We're sorry you can't sign up

@alreadypraying:

This exact thing happened to me.  Get in touch with eBay support immediately as your account will probably be restricted.

What happened:

1. A message told me to signup by X date or my account will be restricted.

2. Attempted signup but it said, "Sorry, you can't signup at this time."

3. Contacting eBay support revealed I haven't been invited yet, to ignore the message, that it was sent in error, and everything will continue as normal.  They reassured me nothing will happen come X date.

4. X date came, I was automatically restricted, however, I could also now sign up.  Once my registration was processed my account was unrestricted.

Note that during signup I had to provide the login details to my internet banking, which has become a very hot discussion topic on this forum.  I did so, and it said something like, "Sorry, accessing your bank for paying sole traders is not supported at this time" or something similar.  So I thought the registration failed but I am receiving payouts just fine.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If. as you stated, you have read up on this subject, you would know that the personal ID information is an Australian government anti-laundering requirement.

As for the registration, keep trying. Maybe you haven't actually been hit yet.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

@alreadypraying wrote:

it concerns me greatly that one company would have so much of my personal info, what if they get hacked? 

Data storage of highly sensitive information isn't the same as how someone might store a folder of photos on their computer, it's more like how the password system (on eBay, Facebook etc) works. Or, it should be, anyway - i.e. eBay has no idea what the password to your account is, and a hacker who gained access to eBay's password storage wouldn't be able to see it, either. They'd see the end result of your password after an encryption process that is nigh-impossible to perform the reverse of to get the original password. 

If a hack is successful, the data gained would should need to be decrypted, too, which is far easier said than done (I can't speak equivocally, since I'm only relaying the measures eBay are required to take, and obviously don't have first-hand knowledge they are actually taking those measures). 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

To answer your question, yes you are paranoid.   And I doubt you have really read all you say you have,  otherwise everything would be clear.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

"They'd see the end result of your password after an encryption process that is nigh-impossible to perform the reverse of to get the original password. "

Sorry but that depends very much on the strength of your password.  An offline hack of a 6 character password (including numbers and symbols) which is the min eBay allows is about 15 - 30 mins, its only at 9 characters does it take you significantly long periods to crack (eg 9 = 25+ Years).  These times are very much shorter if only letters are used, or common words or common P/W ideas eg adding ? mark at the end of your name etc.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@alreadypraying:

This exact thing happened to me.  Get in touch with eBay support immediately as your account will probably be restricted.

What happened:

1. A message told me to signup by X date or my account will be restricted.

2. Attempted signup but it said, "Sorry, you can't signup at this time."

3. Contacting eBay support revealed I haven't been invited yet, to ignore the message, that it was sent in error, and everything will continue as normal.  They reassured me nothing will happen come X date.

4. X date came, I was automatically restricted, however, I could also now sign up.  Once my registration was processed my account was unrestricted.

Note that during signup I had to provide the login details to my internet banking, which has become a very hot discussion topic on this forum.  I did so, and it said something like, "Sorry, accessing your bank for paying sole traders is not supported at this time" or something similar.  So I thought the registration failed but I am receiving payouts just fine.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

That's exactly right.  When passwords are stored in secure systems they are "hashed" meaning they are "scrambled" one way into a long key which looks like junk which in theory cannot be reversed.  When you login, the programming scrambles your inputted password the same way and checks if it matches the one on record.  That's why we always get "reset your password" instead of "request your password" options on websites, because no one knows what you entered except you.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@alreadypraying wrote:

Today the 30th of June, I went to register after receiving email from Ebay asking me to do so by July 1st, which is tomorrow. I spent a lot of time prior researching and wondering I I should go ahead and decided I would, so when I go to register, I get this message ' We're inviting sellers to the new managed payments program in stages. We're sorry you can't sign up' - what is going on??? No explanation, just this statement which tells  me nothing at all. I am within the time, why can't I register, does anyone know? Have you also got this message?  There has been so much negative feedback I am really concerned and don't know now if I want to go ahead as I also read they want photo ID, so passport, drivers licence etc..it concerns me greatly that one company would have so much of my personal info, what if they get hacked? And, why? Why do they need this level of info? I am not applying for a bank loan! I am nobody, don't have a business, just a normal person who sells bits and pieces from time to time on Ebay which I enjoyed but now I feel maybe it is coming to and end for me and many others. I won't be giving all this info to anyone, including Ebay. Tell me your opinion please, am I being paranoid or are you feeling the same way also. Cheers all.

Firstly, I don't know why you can't register. It seems madness to me that ebay would send such an email, asking you to do so by July 1st then knocking you back when you try. Very incompetent management on their part.

At the very least, I would expect if they are signing people up in stages they could at least indicate to people when their registration window will be.

About all the ID needed before you can sign up: I am sure the others are right and this may be standard government requirements for a lot of things, but as you say, it isn't as if you are operating a shop, you're just an occasional, casual seller. I haven't sold on ebay for years and to be honest, I think ebay isn't really aiming any more at the 'normal person who sells bits and pieces from time to time'.

You're probably right, that era is coming to an end and I'm guessing ebay is hoping the casual sellers will go off to gumtree or marketplace, and I think many casual sellers will, because they don't have to jump through as many hoops at those places before they can begin selling.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Hi

Your not being paranoid ; your just being carefull. I for one understand your concern.

Government agencies, major corporations, transport companies, are just some entities whose, cyber security has been breached.

It doesn't happen othen but it can happen.

I feel that if one decides to join the managed payment, ( MP), system, that; just your bank account name, number, BSB, should suffice as the bank already has the needed info' required to meet government policies.

This was all I had to do when signing up to Pay Pal over 9 years ago.

And with all the managing issues / problems I am now  seeing with the way E bay is running things; I am not confident for them to protect my sensitive info'.

I too was a casual seller and this is why I have decided to stop selling on E Bay due to MP.

Now, I'm not trying to convince you to stop selling on E Bay, that's up to you.

I am just saying that I understand your concerns; and, that certain contributors to this forum should be offering constuctive assistance and advice with empathy.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

wow

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply