What Australian ombudsman do I contact to file a complaint against ebay?

I have beeen trying to sort an issue with ebay out for a while now. In a nutshell ebay has been the most evasive and unhelpful organisation I have ever dealt with.

Is there an ombudsman that can help with this issue? I am based in Australia.

Message 1 of 146
Latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

Re: What Australian ombudsman do I contact to file a complaint against ebay?

judske_88
Community Member
I need help with a refund due to me since April from EBay Dealer! They accepted the return and I did all things right. But still waiting for my refund urgently JUDITH SANDS. SKEGGS
Message 111 of 146
Latest reply

More info needed Judith.

Message 112 of 146
Latest reply

I am about to do the same.
Message 113 of 146
Latest reply

You're many years behind the times.

Have you read the information presented in this thread?

If so, do you still believe you have a case?

If not, why not?

Message 114 of 146
Latest reply

Listed first item for sale on eBay and it was sent over a week ago but looked at Paypal account and will not be paid for three weeks.  The item has been received, seller is happy but cannot leave feedback (apparently that is how eBay will eventually sell me with feedback from buyer) and WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. 

Facebook Marketplace is taking over Gumtree which also owns eBay and use the service as it is fast, efficient and you get your money when they take the goods.

Message 115 of 146
Latest reply

Return in eBay is one way deal for buyers. Even if the seller does not accept returns for a product like yours, the buyer can always return the item anytime within the return period using the option of "item not as described". After this no matter how you prove the item is as described, eBay simply says buyer is right.

The worse thing is with Paypal, if buyer lodged a Paypal case, there are only two options Paypal give. Refund the Buyer before the deadline or Paypal will refund from your account.

Now I'm studying other platforms to move my business elsewhere. Ebay is not only good to sell items below 10$. So you can cover the loss of returns or INR from the profit from other sales. Luckily still the majority of the buyers in Australia do not cheat with the sellers, so we have still hope.

Message 116 of 146
Latest reply

Even though they run as two companies, ultimate majority ownership is with eBay.

Message 117 of 146
Latest reply

@prime.gadgets wrote:

Even though they run as two companies, ultimate majority ownership is with eBay.

eBay sold Paypal years ago. And will effectively stop using them as soon as Managed Payments is fully implemented.

Message 118 of 146
Latest reply

I assume you are referring to my post #19 back in August 2017?

Paypal and ebay were two separate companies and had been for some time before that post was made.

Ebay bought paypal in 2002 and sold it again in 2015.

I suggest you check your facts before dragging up a 3 year old post to correct facts that were correct at the time.

Message 119 of 146
Latest reply

fazm45
Community Member
I am a small time seller. I have bought many things from Ebay, including some face masks recently, which never showed up. I paid extra for Express Post because of slow mail currently with covid issues in Victoria. Item still didn't arrive and I asked them 3 or 4 times for tracking number which I never received. I opened a case and luckily Ebay refunded me, but these clowns are still operating even though they have 98% positive feedback. To top it off, they are a Top Rated Seller according to Ebays standards. When you look at their feedback everyone says the same thing that they never received their items.
The other things is there fees, I just paid $45 for nothing! I hardly sell anything and I'm not a store. So I am ditching them and will never buy or sell anything with them again. If I need to sell anything I will consider Facebook or Insta. I don't know how they get away with this, especially when you cannot contact them. I will contact ACCC about it and then, so long Ebay, you're dumped.
No wonder they keep advertising on TV now, because they've lost so many people. I hope they lose more.
Message 120 of 146
Latest reply