What To Do When The Top Bidder Has A History Of Not Paying?

dl390
Community Member

I'm currently selling my car on eBay Australia. When I check the feedback on the current high bidder, on the first page alone there's 14 reviews that said he didn't pay (there's 8 similar on the second page). If he's already bid on my auction, can I block him? Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Cancel his Bid(s).

Add the ID to your blocked bidder list.

Don't ever be tempted to do what those sellers did & leave false positive feedback.

IF those sellers had used the UPI process & IF your preferences were set to block those with with 2 or more UPI Strikes in a 12 month period then you would have not encountered this deadbeat.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

On a side note, when a buyer wins the auction, they should get an email with a QR pick up code.

You can scan that code when the buyer comes along and pays cash and that will conclude the transaction.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Just asking - why.

Put it on the drive - with a description.

Done it twice - no eBay involved - sheesh.

Just asking for trouble.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Why what?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Why what?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Why sell a car on eBay??

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

In both my cases, a) I had no idea what they were worth and b) I ended up with more than I would have asked for if I listed on Gumtree or "drive". Last car I sold a few years back, the engine had blown a cyclinder, paint was **bleep**py and it wasn't in the best condition at all. I would have been happy with $5,000. There was something of a bidding war and it eventually sold for $18,500. This time, the car is rusting out and is only suitable as a parts car. However, parts are extremely difficult to find. 54 watchers, five bidders to date and three days to go. Not really a hard decision.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah, the car could do really well - definitely seems like there is interest. Keep an eye on your buyers and flick any that raise red flags. Obviously once you get rid of the one non-payer, the current price will drop down.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I also meant to add that you should check and set your buyer preferences so that you can weed out the serial non-payers. Look under Account Settings/Selling Preferences/Blocked Buyer List - Buyer Management. Set it to block buyer who have at least 2 unpaid item strikes in a 12 month period. There are a few other tweaks there, but that is the main one.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply