What constitutes an "open offer"?

When I receive an offer from a buyer, it shows in the new Seller Hub under "Active Listings with open offers from Buyers", and I have a reminder in the notification area that I need to respond to the offer.  However, if I respond with a counter offer, it disappears from both.  Now it would seem to me that if the buyer has 48 hours to respond to the counter offer, that the offer is not over with.  It should remain "open" until the counter offer and any subsequent offers are concluded, and the reminder area should show a prompt at each stage of the offer process.  Wouldn't that make more sense?  Why does eBay not display an offer as "open" until all avenues for a deal to be reached have been exhausted?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

When they devised it, they probably thought 'open offer' = 'pending offer' (best guess, anyway), as in...once an offer is accepted, it's no longer pending (open), or if a counter-offer is made, while it still has 'pending' status, it's pending on the buyer's side, so open to them?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Agree, probably programmed along the lines of the cart. Sellers don't see what is in carts until bought.

It's not bought until accepted and seller need not action if no repsonse to the counter.

But it would still be interesting to have in the account and be able to maybe make a lesser offer if no action. 

image host
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Maybe, but it seems silly to me not to leave the offer situation open until it is finalised either by timing out or being accepted or outright rejected.  When the buyer makes the offer it is an open offer, when I make a counter offer, it suddenly doesn't exist??? 

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If you have counter offered it means you have essentially rejected their offer so it is closed.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply