What gives ebay the right to change my listing

ebay keeps changing my listing too a best offer when i stated a buy it price with no offers.

Yet they change it too a best offer with such a low price without my consent.Who do they think they are to do this.Very unhappy.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Have you contacted them and complained?

Totally agree with you by the way, but ebay staff do not read here so if you wnat them to know you're unhappy, you need to tell them

Ebay don't care about sellers, but the forget without sellers, there would be no buyers and hence no fees

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

"Weโ€™ve allowed buyers to make offers to help you sell" NO HELP!

Have a read of the above thread,this is happening to a lot of sellers 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

This is a problem that has cropped up recently - and it's outrageous.

I suggest that you contact eBay during business hours (8 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week) using the Have Us Call You option. Explain that your listings have been interfered with by eBay, without your permission. Explain that you certainly do not give permission for your items (quote the item numbers) to sell at half the price that you have set. Explain that you do not authorise eBay to decide at what price your item to sell, and that you have the right under Australian consumer law to set the price at which you will sell your items. Explain that you adamantly did not give permission for your items to be sold to a buyer making an offer of half price, and that if such a "sale" were made, you would be of the view that this does not obligate you in any way to sell the item, and that your account should not be penalised in any way as a result of this listing interference.

Be polite in your communication... but what you would like to have happen is that any of your listings which have been interfered with in this way must have those Best Offer changes removed.

Courtesy all the way - but that doesn't mean you can't be firm.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

"Weโ€™ve allowed buyers to make offers to help you sell" NO HELP!

Have a read of the above thread,this is happening to a lot of sellers 

Assume it's this thread - https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/quot-We-ve-allowed-buyers-to-make-offers-to-help-you-sell-q...

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

My daughter had this same thing occur. A $179 with freepost item sold for $100! Though she was charged fees by ebay as if it had sold for the &179. (& her selling page said it sold for $179) So please check your account fees!

My daughter's item never had offers enabled. In fact she had manually declined a $150 offer on the item (a highly collectable MIMB doll) on a prior occasion & wondered how they were allowed to make the offer without the function enabled. Checked her listing; & relisted using the free 40 per month when it timed out. The freepost part allowed for handmade box & &19.95 insured & signature posrtage within the purchase price.

With regards to Phillipines Customer Service. Please do contact them! They were most helpful in this instance. Mae; The initial respondent & Marjory the supervisor.

Evidently it is some kind of glitch? Ebay had auto added an accept offers of $92 to $100 to her listing According to Mae). This would have left my daughter out of pocket on the entire transaction after postage, Ebay & PPal fees were paid.. The kindly CS supervisor approved a $79 discretionary payment to her her Ebay account after some insistence on my daughter's behalf. IE ;- She would not post something & lose money on the unauthorised transaction - therefore making this a negative experience for the buyer & seller alike - especially as the fault was not of her making; But rather one made by Ebay - Who had changed her listing without authority.

The refund came in the way of credits - rather strange to look at on an Ebay account; But she is an Accountant so understood the method employed. (I didn't! LOL)

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry to reply to myself; But the buyer was happy with her purchase & left good feedback. Neither my daughter nor I can fathom how or why Ebay altered her listing, but she still has some credit on her Ebay fees so all is still OK.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I've been wondering if this wasn't some test that was applied in situations it shouldn't have been - eg there is software available that checks competitor's listings on selling platforms and automatically updates your own listings to undercut them (this is how you get 1c buy it now items in some places), so perhaps eBay devised something similar that is not ready for release and it's been applied incorrectly (not that I'm trying to excuse them, more that I just can't fathom anyone really thinking adding best offer and auto-accept without permission was a good idea, because it would cause the inevitable outrage and demand for compensation when items sold well below the seller's asking price).

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

On eBay.com, the sly editing of listings to have Best Offer where it was not added by the seller has been having since last year (2017).

This thread is one of the many that mentions it happening, and you'll see that there's also the mention of auto-acceptance at half of the seller's listed price. To quote: "Now, what bothers me most is they set auto accept at 50% of my price. If I dont change them all back asap buyers could purchase at 50% off."

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Hmm, perhaps the test is not of software, but member resistance to increased control and interference. Smiley Surprised

I highly doubt it's a glitch, as the eBay rep claimed - glitches don't annouce themselves via email, as a general rule, unless the machines are becoming self-aware and wrote them unbeknowst to anyone. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply