What is a reasonable amount of time to allow buyers to make payment by?

What is a reasonable amount of days to allow buyers to make payment by please?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I don't actually ask for paymnent but I do have a note asking them to contact me if they are not paying within 4 days by Paypal so I can exempt them from the unpaid item dispute process. That way it should be no surprise to them if I open a dispute if they haven't been in touch.

If I see a seller demanding payment in anything less than 4 days then the tremptation to wait until the last few minutes of day eight is very strong but I resist as I would probably forget to pay at all.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

There are always plenty of non payers regardless of whether you tell them when to pay or not, I doubt it makes any difference what you put in your listing, you can't force people to pay.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

There are always plenty of non payers regardless of whether you tell them when to pay or not, I doubt it makes any difference what you put in your listing, you can't force people to pay.

True, but I put a payment time frame in my listings primarily for me.

Most people pay straight away and that's great, but I put it there partly so that the buyers who don't have an idea of what to expect from me (on the odd chance they've paid attention to it), and partly so that my follow-up actions can't be (reasonably) argued with.  

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Hi Smiley Happy

I state 5 days in my listing but if they need more time to contact me.

I'm a fairly patient seller and now ait up to approx. 14 days to pay.

I used to email them on the 7th day but about half would reply and eventually pay whereas the other half never paid so i then stopped emailing them and opened payment not received on the 7th day. Once i started that i started to receive nasty emails asking me had i considered that something was wrong Smiley Surprised

So now i;ve given up. I wait 2 weeks and relist the item.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Which means you forfeit the FVF and are exposed to a neg if the original buyer pays.

I don't and won't, do that. Dispute, closed if unpaid, relist. In that order.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

@anaksa73 wrote:

i then stopped emailing them and opened payment not received on the 7th day. Once i started that i started to receive nasty emails asking me had i considered that something was wrong Smiley Surprised

That's one of the reasons I still send a message (I used to send two, very early on in my selling days - one on day five and another on day seven, opening the dispute on day nine, but I've shortened it to one message on day 5). I figure if someone doesn't get in touch or respond to an enquiry, they have no basis for getting angry at me if I then open a dispute (my enquiry message is saved to a document so I don't have to spend any time typing out anything or thinking about what to say etc, and I just copy/paste it as needed).

I once got an angry email from a buyer who had not paid or responded to my queries, demanding that I close the dispute - I told them in no uncertain terms that I have to make decisions based on the knowledge I have, which can't possibly include buyer's circumstances if they are not made known to me. Suddenly, they weren't so angry at me anymore. Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Hi.

Yes i know i forfeit the FVF but if the orignal buyer pays i'm fortunate that i have a lot of multiples of what i sell 🙂
I've been selling since 2005 and i just got tired at how rude some people can be and that's why i just let it go 🙂
I do end up placing them on the blocked bidder list
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Unless you're auctioning, there is an option when you list ur item that you require the buyer to pay immediately or not. But if you're auctioning, there's nothing much you can do.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply