What percentage of your untracked items 'disappear'?

Currently I only offer tracked postage options as in my other account this is required as I also need SOD on that account. So, I have been used to only offering tracked options. I currently have some items that might be more suited to untracked options as the items themselves are 'low value' and I know people are unlikely to pay say $3 for an item with $9 for tracked post. 

At the moment I am tending to bulk items where I have multiples to try to encourage buyers and to try to balance the item to postage ratio. I know there is the Sendle 250g initiative that eBay have been auto rectifying any defects for INR as another option. So, I wonder what your missing item rate is for untracked postage? And does anyone have any recent experiences of the Sendle 250g initiative as I know in the beginning it was rife with issues?

Also am I correct in eBay's tracked shipping defect rate only applies to tracked parcels? 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: What percentage of your untracked items 'disappear'?

think the tracked shipping defect applies to all tracked items

And those with a tracked option available, I believe. But definitely not to items advertised with only untracked postage.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

My experiences with Sendle / Couriers Please has NOT been good.  They don't follow delivery instructions (even when it is written on the parcel in big letters) and I've had purchases get lost en route....though they found the last one eventually.  I don't think much of Aramex either.

I prefer Aust Post posties and their parcel contractors by far.  I've bought items tracked and untracked and had no issues.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

So what percentage of your untracked sales 'disappear'? The topic.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

I send lots of untracked Large letters and have never had a lost one in all these years. I've sent at least 600.

You can get a defect for late postage if the buyer states that the item was late when they leave feedback. You also need to 'Mark as sent' in Seller Hub on time.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

The OP mentioned Sendle in the question and in my experience they are terrible and I don't recommend them no matter how cheap they are. *shrugs*

Untracked items via Aust Post?  None of my purchases have disappeared.

I've also found on occasions that AP untracked mail is faster.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I have had one INR on an untracked item in over 3,000 items. A dispute was never opened, it was all done via messages. Most of my items are tracked, but a certain percentage aren't, and only had the one issue. It was only $15 with free postage (large letter), so I had no issues refunding. I doubt at that cost the buyer was a scammer. If they were, they got a freebie. My markups are high enough to cover any refunds and still be in front. Generally speaking, my items aren't usually a target for scammers.

As for Sendle and Aramex, in my area, Aramex is absolutely awesome. They really do an amazing job (I know, shock horror!). However, many, many areas, especially in the city, they are a complete disaster. For that reason, I avoid sellers who use Sendle, because most of the time, the parcel will come via Aramex. For the small amount you save, I really don't think it's worth it. 

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks for the input. It is really great to hear of so many sellers having such a low rate for untracked losses, it really does raise confidence. 

I have great drivers in both Couriers Please and Aramex, so much so that if I am going out and I know Couriers Please is due to collect, I can message him and meet him at a convenient street for both of us. However, I very rarely use couriers either, most of the time it is limited to 3rd party sites that I sell on where they organise the shipping. But I do know in some areas couriers are not just useless, but perhaps even 'untrustworthy'. 

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

We have sent already this month 2500 items, all are tracked in various sized parcels, had 8 INR (all delivered or at post office) This doesn't really effect the sales just sometimes the ability to get promotions (which we don't care about) contracts want us to pay 15% of the discount for the 22% off on ebay

Anyway imo just depends on the item value, I'd say definitely some non tracked items vanish into the void, but you'd probably never know because if they are low value the buyer probably wouldn't waste the time on contacting/ filing INR request.

Though we do send all items tracked it is my theory that at least 1-2 items out of 100 get lost or genuinely delivered to the wrong address or "left in a safe place"

That being said if you run the risk, just send your items right away, lowers the chance of the buyer complaining cause it takes ages or being a scammer, "Hey this arrived fast I'll leave good feedback for the happy transaction"

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

I usually receive all untracked items. I did not receive an item a couple of years ago. Maybe something happened at the seller's local post office because I noticed from the seller's fb that other people had not received their items allegedly posted on the same day as mine. The seller had otherwise good feedback.

When I look at the fb of sellers who send their items untracked, it is very rare that somebody claims they have not received their item, so most buyers seem to be  honest.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply