What was changed on ebay recently? My sales dropped 50%

Not sure what happed but guess ebay has made some changes on search results. My sales dropped about 50% recently. Anyone has noticed that?

Message 1 of 117
Latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

revampz
Community Member

Hi all, as someone who hasnt sold on here for over a year, and just recently started again, I thought I would put my two cents in and have a say as I have noticed some big differences.

My husband and I collect............everything...............and use to shop on here all the time!!!!   Both of us got so sick of all the cheap chinese **bleep**e.............it really makes this site very tacky looking.     I loved it when it was all auctions and high quality vintage and second hand stuff, now the majority is all new stuff, which to tell the truth is just as cheap in the shops these days.  That was the reason I shopped on EBAY................the unique stuff you couldnt get in the shops!  But some brilliant spark up the top decided to change it all into a retail online shopping mall.........

Now as the internet has progressed, there isnt that need anymore to come here to find what you cant get in the shops...........so many places have their own sites and all you have to do is google..............there are also so many sites that major in one particular.

Also I dont particularly like the buy it now option as a buyer.   I loved the allure of the auction, and the idea of the chase of buying something a little bit different at a price that showed its popularity or it becoming a bargain.

I am very shocked at how much the sales have dropped, so am also using this as only one option of selling until I can work out what is going to work the best.

I recently bought two very good quality vintage handbags at $5 each................an absolute bargain, but I felt sorry for the sellers as the competition for the items was just not there..........(that alone would not have happened years ago)

A big big big problem with ebay is the cost of postage!!   Honestly, you look at an item and love the price and then look at the postage...........when you add it in, a lot of items are just not a bargain.   And for those that think buyers are sucked in by the FREE POSTage.......I dont think so, we all know it is added into the cost of the item.

NOW for the big one that is doing ebay in...........FACEBBOOK!!!  my husband has gone from being addicted to ebay to being addicted to buying off facebook.   I am in Townsville and we have at least 5 or so selling pages with at least 20000 members on each.....it is free to list, there are some great unique and good quality second hand items going on there, and no postage!!!!!

Also the amount of businesses that are getting a facebook page and selling that way.......especially the antique and vintage sellers.  I have spoken to quite a few of them, and they swear by it...............say they are doing very well,  one girl here sells to all over australia and posts out items, but negotiates everything with the buyer.

ok my opinion only......

Message 111 of 117
Latest reply

Wonder how long your comment will last revampz..............but...it's so true.....lol

Message 112 of 117
Latest reply

Facebook is a Gumtree equivalent, not an eBay one.

No postage is because everything is pickup. Which might work for what you are interested in, but doesn't work for sellers who appeal to a country- or worldwide clientele.

Very few of my sales are local, so Facebook/Gumtree wouldn't work for me.

Message 113 of 117
Latest reply

You're correct there Dave in that Facebook is for pickup as well as locally delivered,my daughter sells and buys with Facebook.She mainly sells to people in our surrounding area and buys locally also.The only good thing about it is there are no fees involved and it's BIN sales no auctions.

Message 114 of 117
Latest reply

mine down over 85% what has happened and now they want to remove active content and charge GST
Message 115 of 117
Latest reply

This thread was last posted on 3 years ago so I doubt that your falling sales have anything to do with what was causing it way back then,

All ebay sales are and always have been GST inclusive.

The GST being talked about is the GST on ebay fees which has not been charged up till now.

Message 116 of 117
Latest reply

When oh when will they lock threads older than 12 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is soooooooooooooo annoying

Must also learn to look at date when opening a post..

Message 117 of 117
Latest reply