What would you do here?

Rcently my sister and I listed a pick up only bulk item & they 'sold' to someone who looks very much like they may be a dealer, with a FB score of over 82,000. The auction deliberately ended on a Friday as weekends suit a lot of people for pick up.

When the auction ended, my sister sent a message just to make contact and ask when they would like to arrange to collect the items.

No reply.

She sent a couple of other messages, she included her address & mobile number in case that made it easier.

She did not get any reply at all till about 6 days after the auction. All it said was-might have to be the weekend.

She messaged back and said she would like them collected by this weekend. No reply.

Yesterday morning the man sent a 3 word message via ebay- 'are you home'. My sister isn't on a computer 24/7 and didn't see the email till lunchtime, by which stage he had sent a second, saying, "Didn't you get my message". She replied immediately to say she was home & when would he like to collect?

No reply.

This is a person you would think knows very well how ebay works. At no time has he contacted my sister in advance or tried to arrange any mutually agreeable time.

He has ignored most of her messages yet expected instant responses to his own.

I have suggested not to mess around any more. To start an unpaid item dispute tomorrow if she doesn't hear from him.

Is this fair enough and where will she stand if he claims he 'tried' to pick up?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: What would you do here?

Some obviously have money to throw away.

You can charge a storage fee as well, within reason.

Some members have waited for the time period to expire for goods to become considered abandonned then keep the money and put the item out on the nature strip for someone to take.

Depending on which state it's either 60 or 90 days with written notice of it being disposed of 28 days prior.

image host
Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

An alternative approach may be to post if he's also in Melbourne.

Aus Post will do a flat rate of $10 for up to 22kg packed weight if the destination is in the same zone (probably V1 ??).

If the destination is within 50km that drops to $9.30 (again, flat rate up to 22kg packed weight.

Just send him an invoice via PayPal for the postage cost.

Doing it that way you won't have to deal with this idiot in person.

Message 12 of 46
Latest reply

Only prob dazzle it leaves it wide open for the buyer to open a case.

Pick up and that's it. No recourse. No buyer protection on picked up items.

I think springy wants the buyer to inspect the items first going by the previous post.

I can see some problems even if she did agree to post. He only has a PO box registered as the address and the bulk items (over 80 CDs) would not fit anyway. Plus the items are listed as used and not checked for minor scratches etc. Better he picks up and checks for himself to make sure he's happy.

image host
Message 13 of 46
Latest reply

Kopenhagen, I would be pretty sure the CDs are fine. My brother was a music buff and looked after his things & they were his.

So they have been used but we haven't inspected them or played them. They were advertised 'as is', part of a deceased estate. The ad was as honest and straightforward as we could make it.

You're right, we are not willing to leave ourselves open to any dispute. We're not trying to hide anything, quite the opposite. We feel he is a bit of a scammer, trying to imply paypal means obligatory postage. He has not said he would pay extra for postage, he has just said he has paid via paypal and now we 'have to' post them to him.

He's picked the wrong people to scam.

Message 14 of 46
Latest reply

As far as pick up is concerned. Give him a few time slots. Dont put him in the drivers seat by waiting for him to call when he feels like it, to request a pick up when it doesn't suit you

TBH its one one of the reasons I rarely offer pick up, it can waste so much of your time and effort

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 15 of 46
Latest reply

My sister has asked him at least a dozen times to contact her to arrange a mutually agreeable time.

The only responses she ever got was the first, about 6 days after end of auction, saying  it might have to be on the weekend, then another on Saturday morning (which she never saw till lunch time) saying-are you home?

The thing is, there was someone home on Saturday morning. Had he contacted her even on the Friday and asked about Saturday, she could have said yes.

The pivotal point though was when she replied she was home and any time Saturday afternoon would be fine, she got no response.

To me, this is a person who is just not trying to make an effort.

He doesn't want to pick up, said he was 'too busy'.(after she opened the dispute)

It begs the question, why bid?

Ah well, it will be interesting (in a gruesome sort of way) to see what he does next.

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

This joker has now messaged my sister via ebay to say.

Hi payment has been made and wondering if you have arranged postage.

She is going to reply, telling him the terms of the sale remain the same.

What boild my blood is this man did not pay for any postage, postage was never included in a pick up item listing, and he never even asked if he could pay extra and have the items posted.

He has just said we 'have' to post them now because he paid via paypal & I feel he is trying to set it all up for making an item not received case.

I was wondering, I know we are in the right here, we haven't done anything wrong (except he was furious my sister opened an unpaid item dispute after 10 days because he had made no pick up plans, minimal communication etc). This is his payback.

BUT... how likely is it that ebay might find in his favour, as I know they do tend to favour buyers and there is also the point he is a seller with over 82,000 FB, so that may protect him too.

Here is a copy of the ad, I thought it made it clear it was pick up.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bulk-lot-of-84-CDS-including-The-Essential-Diamond-Collection-/3317081998...

Message 17 of 46
Latest reply

Yes, it's pretty clear that they are pick up only. I'd be ringing eBay and explaining what has happened. Tell them the buyer is insisting on postage, even though it was clearly stated that the item is pick up only. Also mention that while the buyer has paid, they haven't paid for postage. I would also insist that they read the messages between you.

I don't think they can open a not received case as it's a pick up only item. I guess it's lucky he didn't select the COD option for delivery! Tell your sister not to list COD as a postage option as that is not pick up.

Let me guess, the buyer sells DVD's and CD's? Looking at their buying categories, they are all for bulk lots of DVD's and CD's.

Message 18 of 46
Latest reply

Yes, i did tell my sister later that COD was a bad choice as it doesn't mean pick up.

However, I do think the ad itself made it clear, plus.. he has paid via paypal anyway.

You're right, he sells CDs and DVDs. I guess that is the odd thing. He is a dealer on ebay, so surely he would realise the price didn't include postage & surely when he sells, he would expect payment or communication 10 days out from a sale.

The only reason he would have bid on these is because he anticipates making a good profit. That's fair enough, but he needs to respect other people's listings and not try to bluff or bully them.

Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

I would also reply to the buyer and say "no, I haven't arranged postage as you have not paid for postage".

Message 20 of 46
Latest reply