When a buyer refused to pay importing tax?

Hi,

Anyone has cross-board selling experience?

What will happen when a buyer refused to pay importing tax?

I guess the Custom clearence event will time out and the item will get returned,

do I have to pay return postage in such case?

If I do, then I guess I'll out both the initial shipping and the return back shipping?

I have this question because the the shipping cost for the items I'm selling is rather expensive.

Best Regards,

W

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If the buyer refuses to accept the parcel because of import taxes, as far as I know they lose their buyer protection. If the item is returned to you, you only need to refund the purchase price, not the postage.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member

Hi,  

I have been stung by this before.   This can be a scam.  

This is how they do it:

1. Buyer - Refuse to pay import Tax.

2. Buyer - Opens an "item not received case"

3. Seller - sends delivery info to ebay aloong with tracking info and what the problem is

4. Buyer - upgrades case to a claim

5. Seller - Disputes claim - nothing happens

6. Ebay - Decides in buyers favour - Refunds buyer.

7. Buyer - Now contacts customs and pays import Dutys/Tax etc.

8. Result,  buyer gets item for customs fees only.  Great Scam, this has happened to us several times in the last 12 months costing us over $1200 in product.

If I where you, I would contact the postal service you used and get the item returned somehow, say its addressed wrong or the guys C/Card payment was rejected.. 

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

If the seller can prove that the items are in Customs then ebay should NOT be refunding.

Ebay definitely states that buyers are not entitled to a refund if they will not pay Customs/Import fees.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply